Official: Dave Thorson and Jason Kemp Added to Men’s Basketball Staff

Milton-Barnes-Dan-Kosmoski-Dave-Thorson.jpg

Thorson Round 2
Milt Barnes....King Koz of Northfield, and Thor, the God of thunder

TexAgs board has a thread on McNeilly going to MN. Looks like they accept it, there is some discussion about him not being renewed as of April, maybe the MN job was already in the works. They also say it now makes sense that they just signed a transfer that looks like a replacement for Cashius McNeilly, who red shirted this year.

TexAgs board has a thread on McNeilly going to MN. Looks like they accept it, there is some discussion about him not being renewed as of April, maybe the MN job was already in the works. They also say it now makes sense that they just signed a transfer that looks like a replacement for Cashius McNeilly, who red shirted this year.
Why did he redshirt during a free season?

From the stuff I've read about Kemp, this kind of message will likely be a common theme. Sounds like he is fantastic at connecting with players and parents!
FWIW, I've read way more assistant coach bios that I care to admit since RP got let go. Every assistant coach connects with players and a lot with parents according to their respective schools.

It is nice that the kid had someone there for him when he needed it. Sounds like he might have had a rough year.

Given the poster, who is openly racist on the OTB...it's racist.

If you still have doubts, consider bga is on his side. Case closed.
What’s hard is I don’t visit OTB so I had no idea. Truthfully. Thanks for sharing, good to know.

No, hopefully, Ben Johnson will be the actual coach. The assumption that a man who was all-state in high school; played Big Ten basketball; and has had 15 years of being a college coach somehow is lacking in basketball knowledge is arrogant at best and, frankly, racist, at worst. Don't give me the, "He's never been a head coach" b.s. That's not what's driving your statement.

Let's say it like it is: it's racist, and nothing less. We've heard and seen it all before ...

Last edited:

Let's say it like it is: It's racist, and nothing less. We've heard and seen it all before ...

A lots changed in 32 years that this disgusting comment was made. Don’t let one bone head change that. Ben Johnson deserves a chance, let’s see what he can do.

No, hopefully, Ben Johnson will be the actual coach. The assumption that a man who was all-state in high school; played Big Ten basketball; and has had 15 years of being a college coach somehow is lacking in basketball knowledge is arrogant at best and, frankly, racist, at worst. Don't give me the, "He's never been a head coach" b.s. That's not what's driving your statement.

Richard Pitino was widely criticized on this site for being too green for this job. He only got the job because of his name, blah blah blah. When he was hired, he had run his own program for a year and had sat on the benches of two hall of fame coaches. Overall, he had been an assistant for 8 years and a head coach for 1.

When he was fired, many of us hoped we would hire somebody with more head coaching experience or a more proven track record. Instead, we hired a guy with less head coaching experience and certainly not around any recent winning programs while on the bench (Nebraska/Minnesota/Xavier). Posters that were critical of the hire, myself included, were disappointed we doubled down on a guy that appears to be a complete wild card. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't.

But this site will be a much worse place if every time somebody levies a criticism at Ben Johnson, we need to filter through posts like yours implying racist connotations. You can argue with Angry's content but this was a really stupid response.

What’s hard is I don’t visit OTB so I had no idea. Truthfully. Thanks for sharing, good to know.
USAF is a communist so take his opinion with a grain of salt. His racism runs deep in the undercurrent. 🤔

Now back to the assistant coaches. I like these hires. Both bring some great features to the staff. Minnesota is a developmental program so we need great teachers. These two fit what we need.

Are you serious?

Someone questions the abilities of a head coach who is coming with no previous head coaching experience and you are going to call that racist? What is wrong with you?

Let's say it like it is: it's racist, and nothing less. We've heard and seen it all before ...

There should be a television show "Great Moments in Putting a Microphone in Front of an Idiot." I remember Joan Rivers was subbing for Arsenio Hall right after the Campanis' interview. She had a big pool wheeled into the studio, jumped in dress and all, and screamed "I lack buoyancy! I guess I can't host a talk show."

Interesting dynamic for Johnson and Thorson given that Thorson coached Johnson while he was at De La Salle. I am sure they will be able to manage it just fine but I bet that is a pretty rare scenario for a coach to end up working for a former player.
Thorson said a few years ago that when Ben was in HS, he told his dad that he would probably end up working for Ben some day. And it came true.

Last edited:

Richard Pitino was widely criticized on this site for being too green for this job. He only got the job because of his name, blah blah blah. When he was hired, he had run his own program for a year and had sat on the benches of two hall of fame coaches. Overall, he had been an assistant for 8 years and a head coach for 1.

When he was fired, many of us hoped we would hire somebody with more head coaching experience or a more proven track record. Instead, we hired a guy with less head coaching experience and certainly not around any recent winning programs while on the bench (Nebraska/Minnesota/Xavier). Posters that were critical of the hire, myself included, were disappointed we doubled down on a guy that appears to be a complete wild card. Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't.

But this site will be a much worse place if every time somebody levies a criticism at Ben Johnson, we need to filter through posts like yours implying racist connotations. You can argue with Angry's content but this was a really stupid response.
Thank you - so well said!!!!!!

It wasn't "a criticism."

It was a statement that Johnson wouldn't be the actual head coach, because he lacks the ability.

Top Bottom