Official complain about net rankings thread

C'mon now, why do you have to hate on Colgate?
;)
They have those big time wins against Army and at Boston University...saying they don't deserve that NET ranking is completely insane!!!

I’m pretty sure NET is somehow related to geography and the net specific weight of your mascot.
As Gophers we are screwed.

Though 2/11
Illinois is 4th in NET - 22nd in RPI - 4th in Kenpom
Iowa is 8th in NET - 58th in RPI - 5th in Kenpom
Colgate is 13th in NET - 49th in RPI - 102nd in Kenpom
wisconsin is 18th in NET - 55th in RPI - 11th in Kenpom.

After last night, the Gophers have moved up to 49th in NET - 37th in RPI - 36th in Kenpom.

I have no point with these numbers other than to illustrate some pretty wild swings.
sample size being smaller this year makes the swings bigger for this stage in the season compared to a typical year

Efficiency has become a measuring stick all it's own. And while I am not against alternative statistics, when they take on a life of their own they start to lose relation to the point of playing competitive games. To win.

The same argument for efficiency is the same strange one you are starting to hear in baseball about WAR. When they don't match up to what we see in the win columns, the stat heads start to move to the argument that maybe winning and losing is not the best measurement of who is actually the better team.

Efficiency has become a measuring stick all it's own. And while I am not against alternative statistics, when they take on a life of their own they start to lose relation to the point of playing competitive games. To win.

The same argument for efficiency is the same strange one you are starting to hear in baseball about WAR. When they don't match up to what we see in the win columns, the stat heads start to move to the argument that maybe winning and losing is not the best measurement of who is actually the better team.
It is one tool and a very good one. Looking at Kenpom history, those teams in the top 10 have gigantic win totals and high seeds. If everybody played everybody we would have a perfect system. Without that they need other tools and if your efficient you simply win a ton.

Top Bottom