Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

TNGophfan

I'm really not concerned. It's not like this is late January and we're trying to fill a class. These are guys the staff has seen, either in camps or in action last fall, and wanted, offered, and accepted committment. Good enough for me.

PMWinSTP

Not to nitpick and I do understand the overall point you are making but Ky Thomas is a 4 star recruit by 247. He is a composite 3 star but 247 gave him a 4 star rating. If he has a good senior year he is a near sure lock to be a consensus 4 star.
Yes but there are players on other teams in the same situation...you have to pick a way to compare team to team, and 247 composite is the most even way to do so.

PitinoFan

Winfield (along with Coughlin) and Johnson are arguably the best defensive and offensive players on the team, and they both fit the profiles of most of these recruits....3 stars with a handful of decent offers. Last season’s best player, Blake Cashman, didn’t even have a rating.

This program hasn’t done enough to bring in classes near the top of the Big Ten (or the middle, tbh), and when recruits show up on game day, there are a bunch of empty seats. The staff just needs to do a better job than other teams at identifying players with the traits they’re looking for, and getting the most out of those players. So far, it looks like they know what they’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spoofin

This program hasn’t done enough to bring in classes near the top of the Big Ten (or the middle, tbh), and when recruits show up on game day, there are a bunch of empty seats. The staff just needs to do a better job than other teams at identifying players with the traits they’re looking for, and getting the most out of those players. So far, it looks like they know what they’re doing.

A very reasonable viewpoint.
Pretty much how it has always been here.
Results matter, rankings don’t. When in 3-star land it is all about identifying those with the right traits and fit for your team.

PitinoFan

A very reasonable viewpoint.
Pretty much how it has always been here.
Results matter, rankings don’t. When in 3-star land it is all about identifying those with the right traits and fit for your team.

Right. Wisconsin and Iowa haven’t historically had the top classes in the conference either, but they get a lot out of what they have. It’s usually good enough to beat all but a handful of teams in the country. And what we have was good enough to destroy Wisconsin on their home field.

nc2mn

Remember when Fleck'p predecessors used to bring in 2-stars and tell us they would "coach 'em up"? This is a step forward.

Pompous Elitist

Remember when Fleck'p predecessors used to bring in 2-stars and tell us they would "coach 'em up"? This is a step forward.
Josh Campion, Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells, Eric Murray, BBC, Freuchte, Donnell Greene -seven out of fifteen 2 stars turned out to be starters. A few others were contributors. That’s a pretty solid hit rate on 2 star recruits. Eye for talent, development, scheme.

Obviously we have some guys that project to the next level with their individual skills and traits and have a higher ceiling but will that translate to a new level of wins - jury is still out (obviously hopeful).

Bayfieldgopher

Josh Campion, Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells, Eric Murray, BBC, Freuchte, Donnell Greene -seven out of fifteen 2 stars turned out to be starters. A few others were contributors. That’s a pretty solid hit rate on 2 star recruits. Eye for talent, development, scheme.

Obviously we have some guys that project to the next level with their individual skills and traits and have a higher ceiling but will that translate to a new level of wins - jury is still out (obviously hopeful).
A few other Rivals 2* "coach em up" prospects to mention are Rodney Smith, Celestin, Winfield, Weyler, Beebe, Keift, Santoso, Damion Wilson, Myrick, J Huff, Leidner and others that contributed.

hungan1

PJ appears to be recruiting 3-Stars that they have evaluated in person or in camps that they like. These kids are who they deemed will thrive after they have time to develop physically and mature. I trust the coaching staff.

Isn't there such a a thing as Star Inflation? I am thinking some of the 4-Stars in certain parts of the country may be over-hyped. IMHO, they get a lot of subsequent offers simply because a P5 team initially offered and it just mushrooms from there. Some of these kids may not be thoroughly evaluated by the P5 team that initially offered.

TNGophfan

PJ appears to be recruiting 3-Stars that they have evaluated in person or in camps that they like. These kids are who they deemed will thrive after they have time to develop physically and mature. I trust the coaching staff.

Isn't there such a a thing as Star Inflation? I am thinking some of the 4-Stars in certain parts of the country may be over-hyped. IMHO, they get a lot of subsequent offers simply because a P5 team initially offered and it just mushrooms from there. Some of these kids may not be thoroughly evaluated by the P5 team that initially offered.
OMG, please no. Let's not get that argument going again.

SkerzFan

PJ is recruiting like hes still in the MAC. 4 no star commits? Thats atrocious and unacceptable for a power 5 program.

There isnt a single high ranking 3 star out of 16 commitments. How Minnesota fans are okay with this low level of recruiting ill never understand. Getting the lowest rating recruiting class by average is not going to get it done.

PMWinSTP

Handful of those made it to the next level as well.

John Galt

PJ is recruiting like hes still in the MAC. 4 no star commits? Thats atrocious and unacceptable for a power 5 program.

There isnt a single high ranking 3 star out of 16 commitments. How Minnesota fans are okay with this low level of recruiting ill never understand. Getting the lowest rating recruiting class by average is not going to get it done.
The Huskers class is rated 73rd in the nation, 13th in the B1G and only has 3 recruits.

Looks like Frost has some work to do to keep up with PJ...

Latest profile posts

Hi guys, I'm new here! Since I can remember, I’ve always been a sports fan. I haven’t been a student for a long time, but I have a direct bearing on student life and educational programmes so please feel free to write me on any matter!