Offense problems

Wheelwright

Reaction score
It seems to me that the main problem with out offense is that they try to out think teams. Trying to be tricky and to come up with little things that the other team hasn't seen before. I get where the whole "you've never seen this before now you won't know where were coming from" plan might be effective for 5-10 plays a game. But for the whole scheme it just doesn't make sense. Its an offense without an identity. Spread, hurry-up, shot gun pass, pro style, grind it out. Choose one and go with it. Players have no clue either which I think amounts for some of the penalties on offense.

Offenses that have success are ones that defenses have to plan for to stop. With Mason's gopher's you knew they were going to the ball, but could you stop them (no comment about Mason's d). Our offense is trying to out think (not a good idea from my observations) the opponents.

We have no base play. No base offense. I think they spin a wheel and try something different each play. I can see using different formations, I would love to see some counter action, and where is the quick rythmn passing game? Three step drop, catch and throw? Maybe, just maybe we don't have a playmaker at QB. Leader, yes. But a trigger man able to get the ball to the open reciever, no. There are open recievers, make no mistake. He cann't find them.

My thoughts going into the game, was taken advantage of our size up front. Scrap the stretch, smash them in the mouth and run north and south, or actually wnw to ese. But run up the middle. Give it to the tailback and run it up the gut. When we opened with a quick hitch to outside, I thought maybe a diversion. Nope, they just spun the wheel. I only wish they would admit it. And how about those expressions on Weber's face as he looks to the sidelines, raises hands, and says "What?"

My thoughts going into the game, was taken advantage of our size up front. Scrap the stretch, smash them in the mouth and run north and south, or actually wnw to ese. But run up the middle. Give it to the tailback and run it up the gut. When we opened with a quick hitch to outside, I thought maybe a diversion. Nope, they just spun the wheel. I only wish they would admit it. And how about those expressions on Weber's face as he looks to the sidelines, raises hands, and says "What?"

hard to run it north south east or west when there are defenders in the backfield.

Execution of the offense?

"I'm all for it". jerry burns

I think it takes a year for the players and the O-Coordinator to feel comfortable with each other. The receivers are young and learning and the O-Line is still learning. I look forward to an veteran line next year with more a more seasoned receiving corp. We're taking our lumps this year, but we will be better on O next year. I just hope our defense can reload with so many seniors leaving.

The offense seems more like a chef who is planning a meal based on what he wants to cook rather than based on what he can do with the ingredients he has on hand. "I'm out of cinnamon, I guess nutmeg will do..." and so on.

You wind up with something that is not going to taste nearly as good as if you first looked at what you have, and then planned a meal around it.

Or to continue with the food analogy, it's like going to a good diner and asking them to prepare a gourmet meal. They'll be able to prepare it, but it probably wouldn't be very good. If you let the cooks do what they do well, it will be pretty good, and then over time, you can add new items to the menu.

We need to have plays that this offense can run consistently, then you can add more to it later.

The offensive problems all start up front that should be painfully obvious

We do not have a group of five that play well together a good mix of ingredients if you will. A group right now who has strengths that do not seem to compliment each other. Where we are weak we need to be strong, where we are not overly quick we need to be quick. I'm not saying there all bad ingredients but right now they do not play well or work well together. We are neither quick or strong, just large sized and a little slow. Sometimes this mass thing works when you can get a good lean, but when they can attack your weakness not being real quick or strong, slow in getting off the snap, being able to slide and hit, keeping your hands hitting your mans chest like a boxer, and blocking your assignment, staying on your guy, we block down or double a lot, without changing the call at the line letting blitzers come free. To many empty guy's coming free without a hat on them, to much doing the oposite of what needs to be done and a lot of thinking or cloudy mind syndrome of not just staying with your guy. I don't like what the teacher in charge of the O is doing right now because, the lack of success say's to adjust find something base that works and kind of cling to it.

You can see the communication between the positions seems to be mixed up. The backs always step to the inside guy instead of picking up the edge blitzers, or at least chipping the open man and then releasing. Backs, TE's and lineman are not working together, we have a lot of elements not working well together. We have a TE who is real strong you can see that, # 96 but he get's stood up a lot and is not able to drive forward because he stands up to straight and is using his upper body to much, rendering the lean in his legs kind of useless. We always run when he is in there too so that is kind of a tell. Anyone notice this, with Carufel not in there yesterday, how we were getting beat on that side of the line more not so much the guy, but they would find the mismatch the overload and then this just snowballed into bad line play? Lack of continuity and play together has hurt, Weber got sacked four times sometimes with three man fronts. The QB runs into the back on one play after getting flushed out, another example of not working together or a system breakdown. I like the food analogy used by Rodent Rampage, it is reallly analogous to what is going on, we have some good ingredients, but were asking those ingredients to try and do things there neither designed to do or can do right now. When you break down a cake and find that something is off or taste bad, what do you do? Find out what your doing wrong and try to correct it. Right now we have a lot of cook's that are trying to correct many things all at once. These cook's need to come together and get on the same page. This week should be simple, design a recipe that your all on the same page with. You have made this well, done well with this , try to repeat that, as the game goes on, try to use a little flavor changes that have worked well during the game that do not screw up the cake to much. The coaches need to give the kids some confidence and feel good about playing football again, make it fun, but try to win the little stuff and stop letting the QB get hit so much.

I think you guys are correct. There is no offensive base. There needs to be a core of 20 plays or so that they can run correctly and gain positive yards.

The quarterback will know what to do if there is a blitz, what the 3rd option is. Line will know who is blocking who and picking up blitzes. Part of this takes time to establish, but I think you'd want to start running the core plays consistently correctly, instead of adding all this other crap when clearly the offense is not ready.

Top Bottom