O’Neil: Bad news for Oklahoma State is worse for others involved in NCAA cases

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dana:

Asked on Friday if Oklahoma State worked with the NCAA in the investigation of its basketball staff, Committee on Infractions chair Larry Parkinson heaped on the praise for the Cowboys’ athletic department. “The institution fully cooperated as soon as they heard about the circumstances,’’ Parkinson said. In fact, he went on to say, proof of just how well Oklahoma State behaved was in the penalties themselves. “Maybe if they had not been, the results would have been different.’’

In other words, Oklahoma State, smacked with three years probation, a $10,000 fine plus 1 percent of its budget, recruiting restrictions, scholarship reductions and, above all else, a one-year postseason ban, got off easy. Feels like that sentence ought to be followed with a “you oughta see the other guy!” quip.

Of course, there are other guys in this case, and odds are they aren’t going to come out of this looking a whole lot better. Oklahoma State is the guinea pig, the first school to meet its NCAA maker in the wake of the FBI investigation into college basketball. Although Parkinson, whose day job is as director of enforcement for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, cautioned not to read too much into any one decision, it’s impossible not to. Kansas Louisville, N.C. State, Arizona, Auburn, USC, South Carolina, LSU and Creighton are all in various stages of the NCAA process, and anyone who reads Oklahoma State’s penalties and comes away thinking their school is safe needs to check the tint on their glasses.

Though the puff and bluster of the FBI’s first news conference two Septembers ago — “We have your playbook!” — never materialized into the chaos or doom and gloom first envisioned, the NCAA now has said playbook and is crafting its out-of-bounds play. It’s not likely to end in a turnover. The notices of allegations already received and made public at other schools offered the promise of harsh action. The Oklahoma State decision removes any doubt. Schools are going to be hit, and hit hard. A one-year postseason ban, in fact, might seem gentle down the road.

Louisville, which not only cooperated with the investigation but also fired everyone associated with it, was charged with one Level I violation and a host of aggravating circumstances. After reading the allegations, one source familiar with NCAA investigations told me he couldn’t envision a scenario where the Cardinals weren’t hit with a multi-year postseason ban. N.C. State cooperated as well, but got to such loggerheads with the NCAA, it opted for the new Independent Accountability Resolution Process, the new group meant to adjudicate complex cases.

In the meantime, Kansas and Arizona have all but drawn a line in the sand, staunchly standing by their coaches and calling out the NCAA for what they contend are unfair accusations. That worked for North Carolina, which went toe-to-toe with the NCAA on a lengthy academic fraud case. But the Tar Heels didn’t have to contend with a federal investigation, court documents, or in the case of Arizona, a jailed assistant coach. In discussing the Oklahoma State case, Parkinson made it abundantly clear that the court cases make the NCAA investigations rather easy. “In a criminal proceeding with a high burden of proof, beyond a reasonable doubt, and an individual who accepted responsibility and pleaded guilty, it was not difficult for us, in this case, to give significant weight to those particular facts that he agreed to,” he said.

Maybe the IARP, which will hear the cases of Louisville, Kansas and N.C. State, will see things differently. Consisting of professionals who make mediation their career, the IARP, in theory, could offer a fresh take on NCAA penalties, and perhaps be more lenient than the stiff directives the COI seems to be following. That’s the idea at least: a fresh set of eyeballs. But as one source told me when asked about the odds of the IARP ruling differently: “They’re still trained by the NCAA, and working for the NCAA.’’ And unlike Oklahoma State, which already has said it will appeal what it labeled “severe” penalties, the schools that opt for the complex case route waive their right to an appeal. Every decision is final. Then again, if you’re going to get hit with the book anyway, what do you have to lose?

Go Gophers!!

What catches my eye in this article is schools are cooperating with the ncaa with the exception of two. Kansas and Arizona are taking the UNC model of defense. University institutions are supposed to be our brightest venues for pursuing truth.
Hard for me to come up with a penalty that would be too harsh for these two schools at this point.

What catches my eye in this article is schools are cooperating with the ncaa with the exception of two. Kansas and Arizona are taking the UNC model of defense. University institutions are supposed to be our brightest venues for pursuing truth.
Hard for me to come up with a penalty that would be too harsh for these two schools at this point.
They can not copy that defense as the NCAA could not take responsibility for fake classes that were available to everyone. UNC IS SCUM for providing the classes to start and they did it for decades. In the idea that they were available to everyone they were impermissable benefits. KU and Arizona are taking on a defense that will likely blame someone else.

They can not copy that defense as the NCAA could not take responsibility for fake classes that were available to everyone. UNC IS SCUM for providing the classes to start and they did it for decades. In the idea that they were available to everyone they were impermissable benefits. KU and Arizona are taking on a defense that will likely blame someone else.

I agree with you. But my point was they are copying unc in the aspect of denying any and all wrongdoing. Saying their programs and coaches have no culpability and saying they are being treated 100% unfairly.

Last edited:

Agreed, but I have a hard time seeing it happen to programs like KU and Arizona. I like Dana's work, but she fails to acknowledge a long history of inconsistent, unequal and often unjust application of penalties to different programs. The big boys get wrists slapped. Lesser programs get an anvil dropped on their head.

I'm pretty sure I have witnesses, but if they don't remember, I said as soon as the FBI mess hit the fan, that the NCAA had its scapegoat in Oklahoma State. Until something serious happens to KU or Arizona, I am taking this as business as usual for the NCAA. I'd love to see them hammered. but I'm not holding my breath.

Agreed, but I have a hard time seeing it happen to programs like KU and Arizona. I like Dana's work, but she fails to acknowledge a long history of inconsistent, unequal and often unjust application of penalties to different programs. The big boys get wrists slapped. Lesser programs get an anvil dropped on their head.

I'm pretty sure I have witnesses, but if they don't remember, I said as soon as the FBI mess hit the fan, that the NCAA had its scapegoat in Oklahoma State. Until something serious happens to KU or Arizona, I am taking this as business as usual for the NCAA. I'd love to see them hammered. but I'm not holding my breath.
Big boys Louisville and USC got rocked. Especially USC and they were the biggest boy on the block at that time.

Yeah, you nailed it. I wonder if some of these lesser schools are cooperating because they know they dont have the heft
to sway the ncaa. Kansas and Arizona extend a certain large finger and say bring it on. NCAA will say they gave their best effort and everybody goes home happy.

Last edited:

Big boys Louisville and USC got rocked. Especially USC and they were the biggest boy on the block at that time.
Did louisville get a post season ban? Also i thought USC was in football where it seems to work differently. Even OSU had things to deal after the vest left.

Did louisville get a post season ban? Also i thought USC was in football where it seems to work differently. Even OSU had things to deal after the vest left.
Yes USC was football, read what Louisville lost, very significant. USC was as big in football as anyone in basketball. Kentucky basketball has been on probation. Syracuse got wacked, they are a very successful basketball program. Nova before Jay Wright.

Last edited:

To Louisville's credit, they actually self-imposed a 1-year postseason ban in 2016 on a team that was clearly headed for the NCAA Tournament. Most schools that flog themselves with a postseason ban do it when it becomes abundantly clear their team isn't going to the tournament, anyways, even if they were eligible.

Top Bottom