Nubin and Kesich Big Ten players of the week

Per the U:

University of Minnesota football standouts Dragan Kesich and Tyler Nubin were honored by the Big Ten today for their play in last Thursday’s 13-10 victory against Nebraska. Kesich was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week, while Nubin was recognized as Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. This is the first Big Ten player of the week recognition for each player.

Kesich kicked the game-winning 47-yard field goal with zero time remaining on the clock to break a 10-10 tie and lift Minnesota to a three-point victory. It was his second field goal of the game, as he opened the scoring for the Gophers with a 34-yard field goal in the second quarter.

Kesich’s game-winner was Minnesota’s first walk-off field goal in regulation since 2003 when Rhys Lloyd kicked a last-second field goal to beat Wisconsin.

Kesich is the first Gopher to be named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week since Matthew Trickett received the honor in November 2022 after making two field goals in a 20-13 win at Nebraska.

Nubin recorded two interceptions against Nebraska, one in each half. His second interception came with less than a minute left in the game and was returned 14 yards. A few plays later, Kesich kicked the winning field goal. Nubin also added three tackles in the win, which was Minnesota’s fifth straight against the Huskers.

Nubin is the first Gopher to be named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week since Mariano Sori-Marin was recognized in December 2020 after making 18 tackles in a 24-17 win at Nebraska. He is the first Minnesota defensive back to earn the honor since Antoine Winfield Jr., did so in November 2019 after recording two interceptions and 11 tackles in a win against Penn State.

Go Gophers!!

Must have a great special teams coach. (Just kidding).

Kesich’s game-winner was Minnesota’s first walk-off field goal in regulation since 2003 when Rhys Lloyd kicked a last-second field goal to beat Wisconsin.

Whoa. It was an awesome moment. Not quite the butt-clencher it would have been if the worst case scenario was a loss instead of overtime but with the season outcome implications the walk off dead eye kick from downtown felt similar to this cathartic moment for me

Who was there?

Last edited:

Whoa. It was an awesome moment. Not quite the butt-clencher it would have been if the worst case scenario was a loss instead of overtime but with the season outcome implications the walk off dead eye kick from downtown felt similar to this cathartic moment for me

Who was there?

Awesome. I could lie and say I was there but was glued to TV like the rest. I’ve never heard the Vin Scully call before. Thanks.

Coverage team will need to play disiplined lane controlled coverage this week. Our opponent had two returners return a kick-off for a TD.

Who was there?

Maybe the best Minnesota sports moment of my life. Not sure if that or the game 7 walk-off is tops. Normally, you would say game 7, but this was Puck!

Maybe the best Minnesota sports moment of my life. Not sure if that or the game 7 walk-off is tops. Normally, you would say game 7, but this was Puck!
Kirby had told a couple a couple players before his at bat that he was thinking about bunting for a hit. Thank goodness
they told him something like, “shut the f**k up!”

Back to Nubin and Dragan (love that name) what great ints and what a great ending. Congrats.

Fleck told a great story about the winning kick today. Crawford got mobbed as he celebrated immediately and players ran towards him without realizing it wasn’t Dragan. Kesich was mostly ignored as the old Aussie got piled on. Very funny.

Btw—fleck was on one today with Grimm and Gaardsy.

2002 Gopher hockey end of game and OT are it for me, but Twins are a very close 2nd.

Top Bottom