Now is the time. The Time is Now. (For Mark Coyle)

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
Regardless of opinions over the last couple of years. Without taking into consideration the back and forth, the Pitino haters and the defenders, and those of us just trying to enjoy the season. Without taking into consideration a fans amazing skill of "hindsight" to second-guess decisions and/or take credit. If you look at the information presented to you at the end of this season and weigh your options I believe you have an opportunity to make a move and put your mark on the program long term. While I am not privy to all of the information available here is my take:

Reasons to make a coaching change this year:
Overall Record
Overall Record within the Big Ten
Coaching the worst Gopher Basketball season on record
Lack of recruiting (he has been OK, just not great)
If your gut has been telling you to make a move consider you may not get a chance again for a couple of years
The fans are getting restless
Tendency for seasons to not get better or finish well (collapse)
Loss of key players leaving early
The lack of success becomes a larger and larger drain on recruiting
After 7 years his job is in question which is a further drain on recruiting
The lack of times where I have seen the team come out of a timeout with a play that
Spotting the other team 6-8 points early in every game due to getting out-gameplanned
The look that the team had last night where they appeared to give up
Desire to find a coach that can secure more local phenoms to play for Gophers
Just a general feel that we are being outcoached never really having and edge
Lack of cohesive vision (an reason for being, a mantra, an on/off court system that recruits/parents can buy into)
Consistent bad luck (because people make their own luck)
[update spaulding no] Players are now coach deaf, not sure I agree completely but it is clear when the team's body language is giving up. The coach has no more control
Because scools, USAF and cjfp say he is a bad coach (I kill myself LOL)

Reasons to NOT make a move this year
Lack of coaching talent available(seriously, if you don't have any good options then don't make a move! I cannot stress this enough!)
Big Ten Coach of the year. He has had some success and may get it together.
If you think he has a shot at a top 3 finish in the Big Ten next year. Could happen if Oturo returns but I am not feeling it..
You see something in him that has you convinced that he is about to find a high level of success her
Buyout costs
Buyout costs for the coach you have in mind
Pitino is young and is improving.
Murphy, Oturu, and Coffee
There is a ton of risk and Pitino is a known commodity (but you get paid the big buck to make tough decisions)
I'm really reaching here

Its been fun. Pitino is not a bad coach. He is not a great coach yet. I hold no grudges and will be excited for the team next year if he stays - or at least will not spend the entire year complaining. I like him alot better than I thought I would when he came. It seemed like he was our 4th or 5th option because Teague could not find anyone to accept and that never felt right but I grew to like him. I guess I am asking you to make the move and make a change.

[its 6am, what am I missing on both sides here - i will add them to the list]

Last edited:

the players are now coach deaf. it happens. time for a change.

Top Bottom