Not Sold on Nebraska

TheSportsAce

Chief Executive Gopher Rube
Reaction score
Everyone's picking the Huskers to run away with the Legends division this season. While I think they're the best team on paper, and they have a great chance to win the division, I'm not sold yet that they actually will do so.

Teams in all sports, at all levels, go through an adjustment period when they transition to new leagues. They play in new stadiums, in front of new fans, experience new traditions, encounter new distractions, etc. It stands to reason that Nebraska won't be completely comfortable in the Big Ten for at least a season or two, until they've been there and done that like the rest of the schools. And that might cost them a game or two here and there on the field, which would have a significant impact on the standings the way things are set up.

Besides, we all know what's going to happen when Big Red visits Goldy.

lol You are a rube. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I hope you're right but history is not so kind:

1993 Penn State joins the B1G.

1990 9-3 (independent)
1991 11-2 (independent)
1992 7-5 (independent)
1993 10-2, 6-2 3rd place
1994 12-0, 8-0 1st place, #2 in nation
1995 11-2, 6-2 3rd place
1996 11-2, 6-2, 3rd place

One could argue they did better after joining the B1G than before. Of course that was during the days of the Big 2+8

The other question is who else would win? MI - new coach changing systems, doubtful. MN - See MI. IL - Zook probably won't make it through the year. NW - Mediocre last year, if QB is good maybe? MI St - looked awful good parts of last year but showed many cracks late and graduated several key players. I hate to say it, but NE could almost win by default.

Well, I think both the OP and Lakeville make good points. Nebraska has been very good, but not in the NC hunt the past few years and they have the same coach this year, so they should be in the hunt for the title. But, I'm not sure how they'll stack up to the rest of the B1G, and they do have a tough schedule, playing OSU, PSU & WI as crossover games.

That said, the rest of the B1G West is not too impressive - really MSU is the only somewhat proven team, and people will still doubt them until they win a title outright. IA, MI, NW all have potential but liabilities and weren't conf title contenders last year and I'll politely not mention us.

College Football predictions are largely useless - there's way too many players and variables and unknowns (such as injuries and luck) to accurately predict how teams will do. Predictions almost always start with last years' record and then add or subtract 1-2 wins based on returning players. And really, most of the time that formula is accurate.

I hope you guys slap the taste outta dem boys mouths! Hope the gopher fans don't sell their tickets to Husker Nation. I don't wanna see mostly red when watching that game!

The era of the Big 2 and the Little 8 was the 1970's. Between 1968 and 1977, no one else but Michigan and OSU won even a share of the Big Ten title. After that, while OSU and Michigan were still the dominant teams, the Big 2 and the Little 8 was gone.

I hope you're right but history is not so kind:

1993 Penn State joins the B1G.

1990 9-3 (independent)
1991 11-2 (independent)
1992 7-5 (independent)
1993 10-2, 6-2 3rd place
1994 12-0, 8-0 1st place, #2 in nation
1995 11-2, 6-2 3rd place
1996 11-2, 6-2, 3rd place

One could argue they did better after joining the B1G than before. Of course that was during the days of the Big 2+8

The other question is who else would win? MI - new coach changing systems, doubtful. MN - See MI. IL - Zook probably won't make it through the year. NW - Mediocre last year, if QB is good maybe? MI St - looked awful good parts of last year but showed many cracks late and graduated several key players. I hate to say it, but NE could almost win by default.

Illinois is in the Leaders division. Iowa's the team you're missing. I've been saying for months that the Legends division is wide open. I've got Knebraska as the favorite, but that's just because they have the best defense. It's anyone's division if they get a few breaks.

Top Bottom