Not giving up on this team

bga1

Reaction score
The Gophers now are in a situation where we must win the next three. Indiana @NW and Maryland. They now have no choice.
This club has not shown the ability to put that kind of string together, but that's the situation they are in. Pass that test and they are 9-8 with a fighting chance going into the final three @Wisc. @Ind and home to Nebraska.

Go Gophers! This season is not done.

The Gophers now are in a situation where we must win the next three. Indiana @NW and Maryland. They now have no choice.
This club has not shown the ability to put that kind of string together, but that's the situation they are in. Pass that test and they are 9-8 with a fighting chance going into the final three @Wisc. @Ind and home to Nebraska.

Even if they eek into a play-in game in the ncaa tournament....It is time to move on....The incredible lack of quality depth after 7 years is telling....A home run hire would be nice but someone else can do better than 32 games under .500.

Even if they eek into a play-in game in the ncaa tournament....It is time to move on....The incredible lack of quality depth after 7 years is telling....A home run hire would be nice but someone else can do better than 32 games under .500.
This board has made me realize how insane a vocal minority of my fellow Gopher fans are. I'm curious how many coaches have been fired after making back to back NCAA tournaments (and 3 of 4 years including at least one tournament win plus this years TBD run after what would be a strong finish with a young team)? I'd go on, but if you can read that last run on sentence and still think we need to start all over again after eeking into the tourney at the end of the season, then I doubt you can be reasoned with as you likely have PDS (Pitino Derangement Syndrome).

This board has made me realize how insane a vocal minority of my fellow Gopher fans are. I'm curious how many coaches have been fired after making back to back NCAA tournaments (and 3 of 4 years including at least one tournament win plus this years TBD run after what would be a strong finish with a young team)? I'd go on, but if you can read that last run on sentence and still think we need to start all over again after eeking into the tourney at the end of the season, then I doubt you can be reasoned with as you likely have PDS (Pitino Derangement Syndrome).

Pitino has back to back NCAA tournament appearances? 3 of 4 years?

Plus THIS year?

I think you suffer from IPRS (Imaginary Pitino Results Syndrome.)

Try watching the games with your eyes open. That will tell you all you need to know.

For example, yesterday's game.

They are saying the 11th place team in the big 10 has a shot to get in. That's one hell of a season taking 11th in the big 10. If we get in, it's probably with a losing big 10 record. The only way to top that would be Fleck taking us to back to back bowl games at 6-6.

Last edited:

This board has made me realize how insane a vocal minority of my fellow Gopher fans are. I'm curious how many coaches have been fired after making back to back NCAA tournaments (and 3 of 4 years

The people who want Pitino gone are not a "vocal minority." They are the majority.

As someone else noted, Pitino hasn't made back-to-back NCAA tournaments. He's had two appearances in 7 years (yes, I'm already counting out this year) and only one NIT appearance. He's had three years of his first six where the team made no postseason appearance and that could happen again this year.

The people who want Pitino gone are not a "vocal minority." They are the majority.

As someone else noted, Pitino hasn't made back-to-back NCAA tournaments. He's had two appearances in 7 years (yes, I'm already counting out this year) and only one NIT appearance. He's had three years of his first six where the team made no postseason appearance and that could happen again this year.

SO your telling me that Pitino's record is less than .500 in Big Ten and he is at a 33% rate of getting into the Tourney? How is it possible that nobody has mentioned this before on this forum??? I come here all the time and these stats totally blind-sided me.

Is it possible that we tank and don't get in to post season? Of course.

Is it possible that we squeak by and get into the tourney? Of course.

Is it possible we get in and the team comes together at the right time and we get in the tourney and then we win a bunch of games - well, thats a longshot - but possible. Probably more of a chance with next years team assuming Oturu stays.

I have not given up on the team either @bga1. Thanks for starting this thread - the team's destiny is still in its own hands.

SO your telling me that Pitino's record is less than .500 in Big Ten and he is at a 33% rate of getting into the Tourney? How is it possible that nobody has mentioned this before on this forum??? I come here all the time and these stats totally blind-sided me.

Is it possible that we tank and don't get in to post season? Of course.

Is it possible that we squeak by and get into the tourney? Of course.

Is it possible we get in and the team comes together at the right time and we get in the tourney and then we win a bunch of games - well, thats a longshot - but possible. Probably more of a chance with next years team assuming Oturu stays.

I have not given up on the team either @bga1. Thanks for starting this thread - the team's destiny is still in its own hands.
You can't hold your destiny in your own hands in a team sport situation. There are other teams that will have a say in it. Just saying.

Just because a team gets in the tourney and goes on what people say is a long run, that only takes 3 games to get to the elite 8 ! Tons of coaches get hailed as heroes at that point but true coaching greatness is having great conference records year after year. If you do that you will have teams that eventually have great tourney's. I do still think this team has what it takes to get a winning conference record. Yet i completely understand those on the board who know what a historically bad conference record looks like and what large donors and season ticket holders are saying.

You can't hold your destiny in your own hands in a team sport situation. There are other teams that will have a say in it. Just saying.

I agree but we are kind of splitting hairs now. They other team does have a say but make your free throws and you probably take that away. (Hypothetically)

I agree but we are kind of splitting hairs now. They other team does have a say but make your free throws and you probably take that away. (Hypothetically)
Yes and No.

No = If both teams made all their free throws...Iowa still wins by 3.

Yes = If Mn doesn't miss the front end of so many 1 and 1's, they had the chance to make or miss even more free throws. I'm not sure how many front ends that Iowa missed, but it wasn't as many as the Gophers did (at least from what I remember).

We used to have the "I'm not giving up on this team" and "I'm not giving up on Monson/Tubby" threads long after the aforementioned coaches and their teams had demonstrated that they were going backwards.

I genuinely like Pitino. He's a breath of fresh air as a personality in a field that is dominated by either bullsh$t or bland coach speak. His players graduate and have represented the program well. (Lynch, Dorsey and, possibly, Squirrel being the exceptions.) Unfortunately, his recruiting during a period when local talent has never been better hasn't been successful. Even so called second tier local guys are having success around the country. He took two guys at a key position, Bakary and Gas, who were dead weight for four years. The mantra of "it doesn't matter where the talent comes from" doesn't hold up when a power five program with new facilities brings in two G League caliber players (Coffey, Murphy) and one potential NBA player (Oturu) in seven years and each team lacks depth.

Winning a third of league games in what is now a large sample size doesn't cut it. Very reluctantly, at the end of the season it's time to part ways and start over, even if it means a step back for a year or two while the new coach gets established. This thing is stale the way it was under Tubby and Monson.

Pitino will get a job as a lead assistant in a top program and back in the big chair in a couple of years. He'll be fine, deservedly so. Good guy.

It’s going to be great being one of just four teams playing on the first day of the Big Ten tournament. Great exposure!

Love the positive attitude, i am with you on this team not being done yet.

I am not giving up on the team, never will

I like Pitino, I have been frequent defender of him. But 7 years speaks for itself.

Now, the argument against is PSU who stuck with middling coach and now its looking to pay dividends

And while I'm skeptical it'll work, it's in gophers interest to let season play out.

I trust Coyle will make right decision, and I'll back it. If we retain Pitino, I'll still be here next year rooting for him and team to do well

I am not giving up on the team, never will

I like Pitino, I have been frequent defender of him. But 7 years speaks for itself.

Now, the argument against is PSU who stuck with middling coach and now its looking to pay dividends
Penn State still has to prove it by winning something meaningful and then winning over a period of time, seasons.

Penn State still has to prove it by winning something meaningful and then winning over a period of time, seasons.

Yes, gopher fans know one season doesn't make career.

If Pitino acted like Fran or Bo or host of other unlikeable coaches, I don't think decision for fans on this board would be as mixed. Many of us LIKE pitino the person. I've been in Pitino's camp for a long time, I expected growing pains with a young coach.

But it always feels like we're just a bit short, hard to see that changing.

Lets see how it plays out, but count me as concerned with direction or lack of

If they go 5-1 and make the NCAA's he will not be fired. I don't think it's a crime to acknowledge there's now a 95% chance that's NOT going to happen and discuss what should happen next.

Not possible really. Good teams and programs will gameplan to stop Oturo and Carr. After that we have no scoring.

Also, Oturo is as good as gone. Unless he has some urge to stay and make some noise in the Big Ten next year or NCAA tourney, why would he risk injury when he is going to be a first round pick with guaranteed $$$?

I agree. Penn State is still garbage IMO.
Once the Stephens kid is gone, they will fade back to mediocre/bad most likely. Enjoy it while it lasts boys!

I agree. Penn State is still garbage IMO.
Once the Stephens kid is gone, they will fade back to mediocre/bad most likely. Enjoy it while it lasts boys!
I actually like what he has in the pipeline but i have seen hundreds of guys have really good years and not sustain it. Plus, in my book this is a really good year but not great unless they grab a conference title and or advance 4 games.

Not possible really. Good teams and programs will gameplan to stop Oturo and Carr. After that we have no scoring.

Also, Oturo is as good as gone. Unless he has some urge to stay and make some noise in the Big Ten next year or NCAA tourney, why would he risk injury when he is going to be a first round pick with guaranteed $$$?
ESPN just came out with a new mock with him at 37. Yesterday was one of the first times where it looked like he needs to stay and get stronger. He got manhandled by Garza and Kreiner. If he is below 20th, I think he should stay and elevate himself to a top 10 kid. He deserves it.

ESPN just came out with a new mock with him at 37. Yesterday was one of the first times where it looked like he needs to stay and get stronger. He got manhandled by Garza and Kreiner. If he is below 20th, I think he should stay and elevate himself to a top 10 kid. He deserves it.

I think if they feel confident he'll go top 15, he should go. If they're confident he'll go in first, he should strongly consider it, if it's iffy, return

NBA loves potential. Staying often shows more warts as opposed to improving one's position.

Sure love to have him back. We go from having a really good shot at a top 5 finish and ncaa bid to being near or below the bubble just in his decision alone.

Top Bottom