not a great night for the officials

Reaction score
They were poor from any prospective. No, did not cost us the game or help TCU, just horrible for a high profile game.

momentum killing bull**** calls can cost you a game, they take points away, chewed clock etc.
Refs have just as much affect on the game as a missed block or fumble etc.

Some really lopsided calls, i would say homecoming but it was BIG12 Ref crew. One sequence that really pissed me off, IIRC, Prisig was flagged for a chop block when it was actually Nugget, and then on TCU's next drive three out of their five lineman all chopped our DL at their Knees on the same play! Not lay down and trip but actually dive at their knees, seemingly the definition of chop blocking, and it was blatant. I probably don't understand what chop blocking really is, but that seemed really ludicrous to me.

The Listenbee "catch" while the back judge was staring right at it was atrocious. The OFF PI call on mayer was retarded, who the **** is this dustin rhodes guy? How can you say that maye was throwing a block on a double move while getting held onto? Those things drive me nuts. I want robot referees.

These things affect games, along with all the other stupid mistakes. Sorry it drives me nuts when refs are not consistent and make some boneheaded call that shifts momentum. Irritates me to no end.

They were poor from any prospective. No, did not cost us the game or help TCU, just horrible for a high profile game.

That missed fumble and pass interference by TCU were jr. high calls. I rarely see us get any " home cooking" from the refs- it usually seems to go against us. That being said with costly turnovers, inconsistent passing and running game reducing our TOP we did not deserve to win.

That missed fumble and pass interference by TCU were jr. high calls. I rarely see us get any " home cooking" from the refs- it usually seems to go against us. That being said with costly turnovers, inconsistent passing and running game reducing our TOP we did not deserve to win.

It is the same story every single time we lose. You hear non-stop bitching about the refs and all the calls we didn't get. Yet the funny thing is when we win you hear little to no complaining about the refs....just can't figure out why that is...

momentum killing bull**** calls can cost you a game, they take points away, chewed clock etc.
Refs have just as much affect on the game as a missed block or fumble etc.

Some really lopsided calls, i would say homecoming but it was BIG12 Ref crew. One sequence that really pissed me off, IIRC, Prisig was flagged for a chop block when it was actually Nugget, and then on TCU's next drive three out of their five lineman all chopped our DL at their Knees on the same play! Not lay down and trip but actually dive at their knees, seemingly the definition of chop blocking, and it was blatant. I probably don't understand what chop blocking really is, but that seemed really ludicrous to me.

The Listenbee "catch" while the back judge was staring right at it was atrocious. The OFF PI call on mayer was retarded, who the **** is this dustin rhodes guy? How can you say that maye was throwing a block on a double move while getting held onto? Those things drive me nuts. I want robot referees.

These things affect games, along with all the other stupid mistakes. Sorry it drives me nuts when refs are not consistent and make some boneheaded call that shifts momentum. Irritates me to no end.

Chop blocking is a high low combo iirc. That's why 2 players are listed. One guy hits high while other hits low. One on one you are allowed to cut block, which is what tcu was doing

I'm mad at Leider, and don't think the refs cost us the game. That said, on the call that eventually was overturned, how did a professional official with a perfect angle standing ten feet away blow that call? That was horrendous.

One sequence that really pissed me off, IIRC, Prisig was flagged for a chop block when it was actually Nugget, and then on TCU's next drive three out of their five lineman all chopped our DL at their Knees on the same play!

A chop block is when the D lineman is "engaged" by an offensive player and another offensive player "blocks" at or below the thigh. With a guy running past you and putting a hand on his back is considered "engaged" is a vague judgement. Bad call in that instance.

The other point is that what TCU did is considered "cut" blocking, which is legal but really pisses off the defensive players, and IMO should be illegal due to the prospect of knee injuries.

The other point is that what TCU did is considered "cut" blocking, which is legal but really pisses off the defensive players, and IMO should be illegal due to the prospect of knee injuries.
Let's keep in mind that cut blocking was the root of much of Minnesota's rushing success with Mason, so Gopher fans should really be the last to complain about it being used against them. Now from an injury perspective, I agree.

Told Mrs. Billd that we were in the Twilight Zone a couple of times on the officiating.

Probably the transport to that special place was how TCU instinctively knew when to line up quick and execute the next play when something worth reviewing happened. I'm sure the coaches were signaling but they definitely have experience as a team of knowing when to move ahead quick.

I know Coach and Coach Patterson are friends but they have very distinct differences on this aspect of the game. The officials tried to get control and partially succeeded, but hat's off to Coach Patterson for finding what looks to me to be a well-known weakness in the play review system.

Let's keep in mind that cut blocking was the root of much of Minnesota's rushing success with Mason, so Gopher fans should really be the last to complain about it being used against them. Now from an injury perspective, I agree.

Yup...cut blocking is very effective. Just watch Navy. They'll have every lineman dive at ankles/knees on one play.

I disagree that the call was correct for a chop block. The D player was not "engaged".

I'm mad at Leider, and don't think the refs cost us the game. That said, on the call that eventually was overturned, how did a professional official with a perfect angle standing ten feet away blow that call? That was horrendous.
A similar play happened in UNC/South Carolina. The ref right over the play called a catch when it was pretty clear that the ball bounced on the ground. The other refs had to run up and overrule him.

It is the same story every single time we lose. You hear non-stop bitching about the refs and all the calls we didn't get. Yet the funny thing is when we win you hear little to no complaining about the refs....just can't figure out why that is...

The refs had a very bad night last night.

Which officiating crew was there last night? Randy Christal is supposedly retired, or that would be my first guess.

Have to agree. Thought the zebras were pretty poor last night. I hate to talk about the refs since they have a job that I would never want. Having said that, they messed up a couple of plays last night.

1st game for the officials too. They don't get to see it in slow motion like you. Maye ran into a defensive player entitled to the position. The only argument is that it could have just been a no call. Replay overturned a could calls as it is there to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup...cut blocking is very effective. Just watch Navy. They'll have every lineman dive at ankles/knees on one play.

I disagree that the call was correct for a chop block. The D player was not "engaged".

He was engaged any contact while the other goes low is engaged. Right call.

1st game for the officials too. They don't get to see it in slow motion like you. Maye ran into a defensive player entitled to the position. The only argument is that it could have just been a no call. Replay overturned a could calls as it is there to do.

And it appeared on the scoreboard that Maye also pulled him down.

And it appeared on the scoreboard that Maye also pulled him down.

Boy, it sure did NOT appear that way to me. It looked like they came together and the defensive back fell down. This happened multiple times throughout the game, with no call. In fact, some pretty marginal contact was being called DPI on the Gophers. I thought it was horrendous officiating. I agree with everybody else, it didn't cost us the game, probably. But that was a just plain lousy effort by the big12 officials.

Top Bottom