Northwestern's coach

gold04

Reaction score
I don't think coach Fitz gets enough credit. He won 9 and 8 games the last two years. Plus he's beaten teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan. I'm suprised he's not mentioned in more coaching openings, but maybe this guy wants to stay at Northwestern.

Why wouldn't he want to stay at NW. He helped take them to the Rose Bowl as a player, I'm sure he thinks he can get them back there as their coach.

guy can flat out coach. little to no talent to work with and look what he does...gets to 8, 9 wins and new years day bowls. he's probably a lifer there, though

Watching his press conference after the game made me think that NW has a chance to be a perennial winning program. Comparing Fitzgerald and Brewster can make one a bit envious.

Love that guy. What an outstanding representative for a B10 university. We should all be envious.

Pat vs. Tim = your favorite emoticon.

Somebody tell Eslinger to start learning the game. If he's not trying to make a roster, he should be on our staff yesterday.

I too believe Pat is a hell of a football coach. Just imagine for a minute that Brewster would have attempted to win the Insight Bowl on a corny trick play that everyone on the defense knew was coming. I'd wager there'd be a little uproar around here.

Fitzgerald is a great coach, but I don't know where the image that he doesn't get much credit comes from. I've never heard a bad thing said about him and plenty of good things.

Don't get too excited (about Fitz) yet. The only reason NU was as good as they were this year was Mike Kafka. He's gone next year. Plus he said in an interview that Gary Barnett was one of the greatest human beings he's ever known. Maybe he's not the best judge of character either...

Fitzgerald provides me hope. If a program like Northwestern can have success then so can Minnesota. We only need the right leader. Brewster is obviously not the guy but there is someone out there who could win at Minnesota.

I too believe Pat is a hell of a football coach. Just imagine for a minute that Brewster would have attempted to win the Insight Bowl on a corny trick play that everyone on the defense knew was coming. I'd wager there'd be a little uproar around here.

I can only imaging the wailing if Brew tried that rooskie play. That said, Fitz is a very good coach. Put him at a big time program like Notre Dame and he is Urban Meyer redux (minus the drama and self rightousness). Jesus loves the Gators, he REALLY loves the Gators! ;)

If I were a Northwestern fan I'd want the guy fired. He not only lost a big bowl game, but dropped a game to Minnesota. What hope is there for such a coach and program?

Don't get too excited (about Fitz) yet. The only reason NU was as good as they were this year was Mike Kafka. He's gone next year.

The same thing was said coming into this year - we lost 3 year starting QB CJ Bacher, 4 year starter at RB Sutton and all our top receivers, essentially like 90+% of the offensive yardage from last year. Kafka looked absolutely terrible in the pocket before this year. No one expected this kind of year from him, especially with NO running game to speak of (worse off than the Gophers in this department). That tells me he must have had very good "coaching up" from our QB coach and OC, and we can hope for good things from the junior Dan Persa who is a better runner than Kafka.

I don't think coach Fitz gets enough credit. He won 9 and 8 games the last two years. Plus he's beaten teams like Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan. I'm suprised he's not mentioned in more coaching openings, but maybe this guy wants to stay at Northwestern.

He should be fired; he didn't win his bowl game.;)

Probably one of the top 3 coaching jobs done this year. The guy's pretty amazing when you think about it.

Doesn't get enough credit? He was mentioned as a candidate for the Notre Dame job.

Fitzgerald provides me hope. If a program like Northwestern can have success then so can Minnesota. We only need the right leader. Brewster is obviously not the guy but there is someone out there who could win at Minnesota.

wow. it only took 10 posts before someone used this thread to attack brewster. if it was a thread about d'antonio it probably would have occurred much sooner.

the minnesota/NU game was a great game. hard fought on both sides (and one of the games that the offense was working great). however at the time the poo-pooers were quick to point out NUs loss to syracuse and the directional michigan and about how we should beat the bad teams. turns out that win was one of the best games played by the gophers, and yet the credit that was due was never given.

The same thing was said coming into this year - we lost 3 year starting QB CJ Bacher, 4 year starter at RB Sutton and all our top receivers, essentially like 90+% of the offensive yardage from last year. Kafka looked absolutely terrible in the pocket before this year. No one expected this kind of year from him, especially with NO running game to speak of (worse off than the Gophers in this department). That tells me he must have had very good "coaching up" from our QB coach and OC, and we can hope for good things from the junior Dan Persa who is a better runner than Kafka.

But Persa can't even pass the salt.

I love Fitz. Love the way he played and really love the job he does as a coach. There are soooo many things stacked up against Northwestern for football success. It really needs a coach like him to win. I don't see it changing either (the success under Fitz). At some point he is going to have to make choices between his heart (alma mater) and his pocketbook because it is only a matter of time before his name is suggested for all the big openings. I get frustrated at the Gopher football attendance and for the sake of the job this guy does, it is a shame that they don't find a way to fill the stands at Northwestern. It seems as though the best players often do not make the best coaches, and he is a big exception to that.

Coach Fitz is a great coach. People here who are fans of Mason and Brewster loved to whine about all the disadvantages this program has. I can't think of anyone who has more disadvantages to face then coach Fitz. The guy has done an unbelievable job. I think in the next year or two Northwestern might have an unbelievable season.

I think it was the right move to let go of Mase and find someone else, but this year Brewster needs to step up to the plate. I hope we do well but it's time to start beating ranked teams or rivary teams. Going into Brewster's fourth year we need to at least start winning those types of games.

Top Bottom