Non-conference games as we head into the future ...

Interesting that last Saturday and next Saturday are the two major bye weeks. Last week only 4 east teams played and this week only 4 west teams play. Northwestern played a non-conference game last week and Penn State plays one this week.

BTN had 1 game last weekend and will have 2 this weekend. Brutal conference schedule these two weeks for National Games.

Michigan/MN
Maryland/tOSU was ok.

Fox Indiana/Michigan
NBC Illinois/Maryland
Fox Iowa/Wisconsin is the most meaningful.
Yeah. TV deals with major networks getting third best game of the week for that money have to be contingent on better games via conference expansion

No, it’s not valid to compare what the new Big Ten will be to any prior era of the Big Ten. Does not compute.

This describes the Mason era.
Playing 9 vs 8 conference games and

Playing 5 of these teams every year is a bit different (Exception of 2025 they play 4 of them)
Iowa
Wisconsin
tOSU
Michigan
Penn State
USC
Oregon
Washington

You know what's a good destination? A bowl game

I’m simply saying that I don’t give a crap if you had a blast in Chapel Hill. It’s not Fleck and Coyle’s job to make a non-conf schedule that gives you a fun excuse to book a weekend trip.

Their job is to win and go to a bowl game, now. Yesterday is the new Big Ten.
Coaches that consistently get to Bowl games can still get canned, especially lower tier Bowl games, ie Mason & Brewster.

Heck every year there are several 6-6 Bowl teams with an Interim Coach because he HC was sacked. Winning 3 easy non-Conf games then going 3-6 in the Conference doesn't fool anyone. Might get a a year reprieve, perhaps two but that's stretching it.

Playing 5 of these teams every year is a bit different (Exception of 2025 they play 4 of them)
Iowa
Wisconsin
tOSU
Michigan
Penn State
USC
Oregon
Washington
Schedule plays 4 of them this year.
3 in 2022
3 in 2021
3 in 2020
3 in 2019
3 in 2018
3 in 2017
3 in 2016
4 in 2015

But hot take. I’m not afraid of Wisconsin, Iowa, or Washington

Iowa
Wisconsin
tOSU
Michigan
Penn State
USC
Oregon
Washington
Of course it's not EXACTLY the same as the Mason era, but the philosophy/desired outcome posed by the OP is to "schedule cupcakes and hope for 3 conference wins to reach a bowl game"...this is a bit like how it felt in the Mason era. If you happened to win a few games more (10 wins in 2003), it was a crowning achievement. If you didn't, at least you'd get a bowl game.

I'm not saying that I am against it; might satisfy a part of our fanbase and I like bowl games.

But what if we have consistently tough conference and non-conference schedules?
Wouldn't that put a lot pressure on U of M AD to do what it takes to get the program to be an actual winner? One that is ranked and regularly in the playoff?

Of course it's not EXACTLY the same as the Mason era, but the philosophy/desired outcome posed by the OP is to "schedule cupcakes and hope for 3 conference wins to reach a bowl game"...this is a bit like how it felt in the Mason era. If you happened to win a few games more (10 wins in 2003), it was a crowning achievement. If you didn't, at least you'd get a bowl game.

I'm not saying that I am against it; might satisfy a part of our fanbase and I like bowl games.

But what if we have consistently tough conference and non-conference schedules?
Wouldn't that put a lot pressure on U of M AD to do what it takes to get the program to be an actual winner? One that is ranked and regularly in the playoff?
I agree completely that the goal should always be to be as competitive as possible and to not just get a bowl game. I'd rather we play 12 conference games and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree completely that the goal should always be to be as competitive as possible and to not just get a bowl game. I'd rather we play 12 conference games and let the chips fall where they may.
Agree. If it went to that the goal of a “bowl game” will be different anyways.

sub.500 bowl teams will at some point be a thing if bowls stick around.
Big ten number 13 at 5-7 vs a 10-2 mountain west team

We’re pretending that Washington is nothing, but that Oregon is like playing USC, Penn State …. but then this year … :unsure:

We’re saying we’re not afraid of Iowa, but Fleck is 0-7 against them and they are a usual top 25. :unsure:

Sure, if Big Ten goes to 12 conf games, great. Love it. Hope that’s true one day.

But it’s a pipe dream right now.

And with the state of the program currently, and what the conf schedule is going to become … we need as many wins as we can get.

7-5 vs 8-4. Was a poll not too long ago concluding a decent step change in sentiment between the two ….

We’re pretending that Washington is nothing, but that Oregon is like playing USC, Penn State …. but then this year … :unsure:

We’re saying we’re not afraid of Iowa, but Fleck is 0-7 against them and they are a usual top 25. :unsure:

Curious, did you know that Oregon is 12-7 vs USC over the last 30 years. Not to mention one USC win that was vacated making it 12-6 for the Ducks.

Top Bottom