NO National Title for IOWA - They Lose

Because their QB fractured his ankle, idiots. Does that really bring you that much joy?

Yes!

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTPKnvAiH5o&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZTPKnvAiH5o&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

It was fun while it lasted. They've already been fighting through about a million injuries, and Stanzi was just one too many. Definitely could have used his ability to throw the deep ball and propensity for 4th quarter heroics today.

No more unbeatens in the BT. At least the Gophers are still in the top 6.

people on the iowa board are claiming they got jobbed by the refs.

they must've missed the game last week.

people on the iowa board are claiming they got jobbed by the refs.

they must've missed the game last week.
i agree completely, Iowa's luck FINALLY ran out!!! great for NWestern!

I guess I'll take this as a consolation. Go 'Cats!!!

They sort of have a point, but, yeah, it sounds pretty silly after last week.

I know you're an Iowa fan and I really can't stand your obnoxious posts. I do feel bad for you guys, though. As big of lowlifes as Iowa fans are, it seriously sucks to start to believe and have the rug pulled out from under you. I hope that sometime during my lifetime the Gophers can have as good a season as Iowa has had so far this year.

Nope. Good job by the refs today. Too many untimely mistakes by the offense.

I second that. The refs did a fine job. Defense plays well. Redshirt freshman QB comes in and doesn't lead Iowa to any scores in the last 3 quarters. Not really his fault, he was the only option and he was green.

Random thoughts:
1. Iowa wins if Stanzi doesn't get hurt. The defense played well enough.
2. Iowa's luck just ran out. It was extremely fun while it lasted.
3. To be a complete geek and put it into standardized test language, Iowa:penn State as Northwesten:Iowa. They have our number every year. After 21 straight wins for Iowa against them, I think NW has won 8 of the last 13.
4. Iowa's team last year was a great 4 loss team that could have given a lot of 1 loss teams a run in a bowl game. They were better than their record. This year's team is obviously worse than it's record. There are a lot of 4 loss teams this year that are better than the Hawks.
5. 9-3 is not out of the question. The game at OSU just got moved to Iowa has a pretty good chance to win to Iowa will need it's luck to return and then some to have any chance. If the Buckeyes that showed up against Purdue show up again, Iowa can win. If it's the Bucks that showed up against Penn State, it'll get ugly.
6. If Minnesota can right the ship against the Jackrabbits (which they probably will, Michigan vs Delaware St style) and Iowa takes a beating against OSU, things will look pretty good for the Golden Gophers.

I don't get it...

Disclaimer - I did not grow up in Minnesota so I do not have the same emotional negativity towards Wisconsin or Iowa as born and raised Minnesotans seem to.

I can understand the gut/initial reaction to the Iowa loss...the a Gopher fan would be happy that Iowa is now out of the NC race. But IMO there is nothing at all positive for the Gophers or the Big Ten about the loss.

1 - If the Gophers win at Iowa this year the win will now be less meaningful. Just imagine the Gophers being the team that kicks Iowa out of the championship hunt! A Gopher victory will still be sweet, but just imagine being the spoiler.....

2 - The Iowa loss is bad for the Big Ten. Yes, Iowa losing to the Gophers would be bad for the Big Ten too, but Gopher fans should want other Big Ten teams to be in the national championship hunt - it's good for the conference (and has to in some way help recruiting at all Big Ten schools when there is a lot of success at the top of the Big Ten).

3 - Iowa losing is just more fodder for those around the country who believe (correctly IMO) that the Big Ten is a mediocre conference. Again, this is used by other schools when recruiting against Minnesota and other Big Ten schools. We should want the Big Ten to be viewed as the premier conference in the land - and applauding as the top-rated schools in the conference lose is mind-boggling to me. If the Gophers aren't in the nation title hunt, we should certainly hope that a couple of other Big Ten schools can compete.

4 - This continues to diminish the importance/value of the Rose Bowl in the eyes of football fans around the country.

Agree or disagree with the above but I have no joy in seeing the supposed top teams in the Big Ten drop from the championship race - I see no upside at all for the Gophers or the conference. And if watching another team lose is one of the few positives we can take away from a season, that says an awful lot about how bad things are in Gopher Nation.

Top Bottom