NM

These teams should start playing each other every year. It'd be a fun game and would nearly sellout evety year.

These teams should start playing each other every year. It'd be a fun game and would nearly sellout evety year.

Definitely should be a yearly matchup, even years at The Barn, odd years at a neutral site (Xcel or Target Center?).

Any quantifiable reason why their league is so bad this year?
Summit is definitely down. Don’t have a clear cut class of the league like they have for last few seasons (SDSU & then ORU for a couple).

League lost some of its best talent to high majors, that doesn’t help, but that will be a regular occurrence going forward.

It’s wide open, which is good for the fans, but not for the conference’s hopes of springing an upset in March.

Summit is definitely down. Don’t have a clear cut class of the league like they have for last few seasons (SDSU & then ORU for a couple).

League lost some of its best talent to high majors, that doesn’t help, but that will be a regular occurrence going forward.

It’s wide open, which is good for the fans, but not for the conference’s hopes of springing an upset in March.
Sadly this is the future of low major basketball. Better players will depart before their teams peak. Ray of hope is that big boys will have fewer scholarships for freshmen which might upgrade younger talent.

Sadly this is the future of low major basketball. Better players will depart before their teams peak. Ray of hope is that big boys will have fewer scholarships for freshmen which might upgrade younger talent.
I do think it’s going to work out OK both ways. There are some solid players in the Summit who are “transfer-downs” from bigger schools.

But yes, keeping the elite players in the league (Abmas, Nelson, Rohde, etc.) is a lot more difficult now.

I do think it’s going to work out OK both ways. There are some solid players in the Summit who are “transfer-downs” from bigger schools.

But yes, keeping the elite players in the league (Abmas, Nelson, Rohde, etc.) is a lot more difficult now.
I’m probably overplaying the “building the team” over years angle. It seems like the most likely place for first weekend upsets come from the little guys who have played together two or three years. These guys have spent their whole lives shifting clubs, etc that it doesn’t phase them to be on different rosters every year.

I’m probably overplaying the “building the team” over years angle. It seems like the most likely place for first weekend upsets come from the little guys who have played together two or three years. These guys have spent their whole lives shifting clubs, etc that it doesn’t phase them to be on different rosters every year.
Problem with trying to mesh guys from the portal is that they may not mesh. Look at Musselman at Arkansas where he went all in on the portal and now he's got a terrible team. In the end, you still have to know what kid fits with your program and then mold them to fit.

Problem with trying to mesh guys from the portal is that they may not mesh. Look at Musselman at Arkansas where he went all in on the portal and now he's got a terrible team. In the end, you still have to know what kid fits with your program and then mold them to fit.
That’s why I like Bens approach, same as Fleck, use the portal to supplement, once your recruited classes gain some experience.

regarding the strength of the Summit-- it struck me at the St Thomas vs Oral Roberts game the other day how quickly a team can move in stature. Usually down quicker than up, but just 3 years ago (20-21)Oral Roberts was a 3 point shot at the buzzer away from being in the Elite 8 and even through last year sustained it to finish the conference season undefeated and then Thursday night were completely dominated by St Thomas. newly D1 St Thomas, starting 3 guys that were recruited as D3 players and 2 of their 4 reserves were also recruited as D3 players.
I'm still not sure whether to be more shocked at Oral Roberts or St Thomas, but am leaning towards St Thomas.
yeah, I know it is a Gophers board, not a St Thomas board, but good basketball is fun to watch and if all you ever watch is Gophers vs the BigTen you are missing out

Also State of the State(Minnesota) and equally relevant:
USAF and Harmon Killebrew combined for 573 big league home runs

Also State of the State(Minnesota) and equally relevant:
USAF and Harmon Killebrew combined for 573 big league home runs
Oh! Kind of like the Bad Henry and Tommie Aaron thing. 768 home runs.

regarding the strength of the Summit-- it struck me at the St Thomas vs Oral Roberts game the other day how quickly a team can move in stature. Usually down quicker than up, but just 3 years ago (20-21)Oral Roberts was a 3 point shot at the buzzer away from being in the Elite 8 and even through last year sustained it to finish the conference season undefeated and then Thursday night were completely dominated by St Thomas. newly D1 St Thomas, starting 3 guys that were recruited as D3 players and 2 of their 4 reserves were also recruited as D3 players.
I'm still not sure whether to be more shocked at Oral Roberts or St Thomas, but am leaning towards St Thomas.
yeah, I know it is a Gophers board, not a St Thomas board, but good basketball is fun to watch and if all you ever watch is Gophers vs the BigTen you are missing out
That was basically all Obanor and Abmas carrying them and then both transferred

UST won't be in the Summit for long that's for sure.

Top Bottom