NIU Game preview from GEHG

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
NIU game preview is up. I hated calling for the loss, but this Chandler Harnish kid has me very impressed. Here's to hoping I'm WAAAY off.:D

As always your thoughts, comments, criticisms are appreciated.

Looking forward to the long drive up to Minneapolis tomorrow, and prepping my boys (age 3 and 6) for their first game in the Bank. Hopefully 7:30 pm start won't be too late for them, but I plan on keeping them awake on a steady diet of fresh mini-donuts and smoothies.

GO GOPHERS!

I'm thinking they may be a bit too one dimensional. Even their running back hasn't done much. Consider a running back who has averaged 80 yards a game in three games. That's a total of 240 yards. Consider again that he had one run for 80 yards. Take that one run away and this guy has averaged a little over fifty yards per game. Call me not fearful.

Can't say too much considering the USD debacle, but I don't think they'll have quite as much luck as a more diverse USC team did. It will look more like the MTSU game in my opinion.

NIU is pass happy...

That's our weakness unless our Defense really steps it up tomorrow...

Facts

NIU is pass happy...

I think you should check your facts.

NIU vs. Iowa State
29 Passes, 3.2 Yards Per Pass; 36 Rushes, 4.3 Yards Per Carry

NIU vs. UND (North Dakota)
25 Passes, 5.8 Yards Per Pass; 49 Rushes, 7.4 Yards Per Carry (One of which was a 79 yarder)

NIU vs. Illinois
26 Passes, 8.7 Yards Per Pass; 33 Rushes, 4.9 Yards Per Carry

NIU both runs the ball more often and in 2 of 3 the three games has been more effective running the ball.

I think you should check your facts.

NIU vs. Iowa State
29 Passes, 3.2 Yards Per Pass; 36 Rushes, 4.3 Yards Per Carry

NIU vs. UND (North Dakota)
25 Passes, 5.8 Yards Per Pass; 49 Rushes, 7.4 Yards Per Carry (One of which was a 79 yarder)

NIU vs. Illinois
26 Passes, 8.7 Yards Per Pass; 33 Rushes, 4.9 Yards Per Carry

NIU both runs the ball more often and in 2 of 3 the three games has been more effective running the ball.

They seem pretty balanced according to those stats...

But what do you think they'll do more tomorrow if they find out they can pass at will on us?

This game will be won or loss on our Defense IMO...

They seem pretty balanced according to those stats...

But what do you think they'll do more tomorrow if they find out they can pass at will on us?

This game will be won or loss on our Defense IMO...

I believe your quote was "NIU is pass happy." Which they are not. They may end up being so tomorrow but your original statement was dead wrong...

I believe your quote was "NIU is pass happy." Which they are not. They may end up being so tomorrow but your original statement was dead wrong...

Thank you for point that out Captain Obvious...did u not see me say they seem pretty balanced according to the stats or is your reading that bad?

Thank you for point that out Captain Obvious...did u not see me say they seem pretty balanced according to the stats or is your reading that bad?

What I saw you do was pull statements from your hind quarters and than try to rationalize it by implying that they will be pass happy tomorrow. My main point is that you were spewing nonsense and that your later attempt at rationalization doesn't change that.

What I saw you do was pull statements from your hind quarters and than try to rationalize it by implying that they will be pass happy tomorrow. My main point is that you were spewing nonsense and that your later attempt at rationalization doesn't change that.

For your information Mr. Ron Johnson's Left Testicle...I watched the NIU-ILL Game & NIU was able to move the ball through the air nearly at will when they found ILL's weakness & pretty much abandoned their ground game. Their numbers indicate they like to play both ends equally but that's not how it panned out on the field, numbers don't tell the whole story...but I guess you're one of those Brewster types where you like to pay more attention to Star Ratings because they're written down on paper huh?

The fact that neither me or Heber were arguing & you felt like you wanted to just start woofing for no reason shows how little attention you must get at home...

Sorry pal. I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch. If you want to say that a team that runs the ball 60% of the time is pass happy because they had some success when they threw it, then fine. Is your definition of "pass happy" that they were happy with their passing plays?

Hey - NIU fan here. Just a note: we've always been a run-first team (I don't have any numbers to post though). It seems our run blocking isn't as good as it usually is, and we were forced to throw against Illinois. Usually it seems like we throw only when necessary (to a fault), and teams beat us when they stack the run and force us to throw. Harnish is improving as he's a junior now and he's had some injuries which have slowed his progress, so maybe we'll be able to force teams to back off a little in run defense.

Even though Harnish does well running, it's a little concerning that he's leading the team in rushing. Spann is actually a good RB but hasn't had much running room. On defense, efficient passing teams give us more trouble than running teams, typically. We should have been able to beat Illinois with their young QB and forced them to throw more, but we couldn't tackle them when they ran, which killed us in that game. Along with our poor placekicking.

I'm somewhat mortified now that I nearly nailed the score on my predicition. Ugh.

Although, not in my wildest dreams did I think that Spann would be the one to cause us all the trouble. I had assumed Harnish was far more dangerous, but we seemed to have have him contained when he did run. Then again, he only ran 6 times. Of course, Kill probably anticipated that we would overcompensate in preparing for Harnish given NIU's last 2 games, and gameplanned accordingly.

NIU is pass happy...

Since the illustrious thaileagle obviously enjoys pulling up wildly inaccurate statements I thought he would especially enjoy this gem. How did that pass happy team rush for 300 yards against us? EL-OH-EL.

They didn't even have to put the ball in the air, LOL...did we win? Did the Defense stop anything? I guess our quiet confidence was silenced completely. I was dead on about the Wisconsin game but u won't up that thread will u? Didn't think so, lol...
4 Games left & this disaster is over...

lol lol lol lol what are you always giggling about? you were wrong all you have to do is simply say I made a mistake NIU is not a pass happy team.
________
EXTREME Q

Just saying you like to point out when other people are wrong you could own up to your mistakes. And when someone calls you out and you know you are wrong these are the kind of responses you have. lol.................
________
Buy grinder

lol

lol

political-pictures-soldier-make-lols.jpg

Top Bottom