NIT Bracketology

Some guy

Reaction score
Any good sites on this.

I just did some googling. The most interesting site I found to look at projects 7 big ten teams in the NIT. Not sure if the site is good at all. Guide me to something that might be accurate

Every site I've seen has the Gophers in the field as of now.

Supposedly, from their public announcements, selection to the NIT is governed completely by NET this season but the top two NET teams from each P6 conference are automatic qualifiers with home court advantage in the first round.

There are 100 places combined in the NCAA/NIT tournaments. Approximately, at least a dozen NCAA tournament automatic qualifiers will not be ranked in the Top 100 for NET (there are about 12 conferences now where no team is ranked in the Top 100). That means that about 88 teams within the Top 100 NET teams should get into one of the tournaments but bid stealers may lower that number. As of this morning, the Gophers are ranked #87 in NET so they have little or no margin for decline to make the NIT.

Hopefully, the Gophers can move into more comfortable territory. Even in games they are expected to lose (like Purdue and Illinois), their ranking might actually improve if they can keep it reasonably close.

Any good sites on this.

I just did some googling. The most interesting site I found to look at projects 7 big ten teams in the NIT. Not sure if the site is good at all. Guide me to something that might be accurate
That alone tells me it's not good. There's no way they get anywhere close to that many.

Any good sites on this.

Is this 7 teams after whatever they get into the big dance? Or at this time there are 7 teams eligible for the NIT , knowing that probably at least 4 of those are going dancing elsewhere than the NIT.

The NIT screwed the pooch with this. No offense to our squad, but who wants to watch a lower tier P5 team that went say 8-12 in conference? Put in the little guys who went 29-4 and had 1 bad loss. This means way more to them. I'd guess a lot of P5 teams will start to see a lot of opt outs in the NIT

As of today, here's how it would look for the Big Ten in terms of the 2 automatic qualifiers for the NIT. For argument's sake let's say these 6 make the NCAA: Illinois, MSU, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin. That leaves (in NET order):

NIT Auto Qualifiers
#66 Iowa
#71 Ohio State (would they accept given today's news?)

Others
#81 Maryland
#87 Gophers
#88 Rutgers
#96 Penn State
#100 Indiana
#115 Michigan

But this could get dicier for the Gophers with Ty Berry's season-ending injury for Northwestern. Wildcats will have a battle to remain in the NCAA mix without him. ... key player. 'Cat's could fall to the NIT, as could Nebraska & even MSU if they collapse.

Really hoping the metldown @ Iowa City doesn't end up costing the Gophers a NIT bid. It could be that close between these bunched up teams.

As of today, here's how it would look for the Big Ten in terms of the 2 automatic qualifiers for the NIT. For argument's sake let's say these 6 make the NCAA: Illinois, MSU, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin. That leaves (in NET order):

NIT Auto Qualifiers
#66 Iowa
#71 Ohio State (would they accept given today's news?)

Others
#81 Maryland
#87 Gophers
#88 Rutgers
#96 Penn State
#100 Indiana
#115 Michigan

But this could get dicier for the Gophers with Ty Berry's season-ending injury for Northwestern. Wildcats will have a battle to remain in the NCAA mix without him. ... key player. 'Cat's could fall to the NIT, as could Nebraska & even MSU if they collapse.

Really hoping the metldown @ Iowa City doesn't end up costing the Gophers a NIT bid. It could be that close between these bunched up teams.

My reading on the current NIT selection procedure is that it is purely based on NET and there is no limit to the number of teams that can make it from a conference so I don't understand why Northwestern falling to the NIT would be bad news for the Gophers. What's bad news for the Gophers is that they are ranked #87 as of today which likely would be right at the line. If anything, Berry's injury should make NW a bit easier to beat which should be good for us. We only need to move up a bit more to a more comfortable position.

I think Michigan should be considered out. I don't see how that team can improve 27 places or more which is about what it would take.

Somebody did an NIT projection a few weeks ago with 8 or 9 ACC teams in that tournament.

My reading on the current NIT selection procedure is that it is purely based on NET and there is no limit to the number of teams that can make it from a conference so I don't understand why Northwestern falling to the NIT would be bad news for the Gophers. What's bad news for the Gophers is that they are ranked #87 as of today which likely would be right at the line. If anything, Berry's injury should make NW a bit easier to beat which should be good for us. We only need to move up a bit more to a more comfortable position.

I think Michigan should be considered out. I don't see how that team can improve 27 places or more which is about what it would take.

Somebody did an NIT projection a few weeks ago with 8 or 9 ACC teams in that tournament.
Not quite right. The top 2 NET teams from each of the P6 are guaranteed in. Then their committee can pick whatever other 20 at large teams. That's why NET matters. His point is if NW gets in the Big dance, that's 1 less team ahead of us in the NET. Now, could we get in as an at large yes, but I believe his point is we would be locked in as one of the 2 teams based on NET so we would want more b10 teams in the Big dance if we wanted a guaranteed spot in the nit.

1) No offense to our squad, but who wants to watch a lower tier P5 team that went say 8-12 in conference?

2) I'd guess a lot of P5 teams will start to see a lot of opt outs in the NIT

1) Answer: Me, a whole lot of other people around here, and most fans of also ran P6 teams

2) Reply: No! Only uppity P6 teams like North Carolina and Indiana (with Crean as coach) have done that in recent years. For the rest, if you don't make the NCAA tournament, it's wise to at least give some consolation prize to your fans. Villanova went to the NIT last season and they've been a lot more successful than Indiana this century.

I listed all Big Ten NETs for point of reference.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is after the 12 auto qualifiers they won’t necessarily just take the next 20 best NETs. I hope there’s some nuance to it so we get a few more non-Power 6 at-large bids.

Not quite right. The top 2 NET teams from each of the P6 are guaranteed in. Then their committee can pick whatever other 20 at large teams. That's why NET matters. His point is if NW gets in the Big dance, that's 1 less team ahead of us in the NET. Now, could we get in as an at large yes, but I believe his point is we would be locked in as one of the 2 teams based on NET so we would want more b10 teams in the Big dance if we wanted a guaranteed spot in the nit.
Correct.

All right. Now that I reread this, specifically it says that only NET is used for the 12 automatic qualifiers:

Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected. Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT.

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament's 32-team field. Based on the NIT Committee's evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first-round hosts, with deference given to the "first four teams out" of the Division I Men's Basketball Championship.

So, it isn't clear which criteria will be used for the remaining 20 schools, only that the "best teams available will be selected." I guess I just assumed that if NET was used for the first 12, it would be used for the remaining 20.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is after the 12 auto qualifiers they won’t necessarily just take the next 20 best NETs. I hope there’s some nuance to it so we get a few more non-Power 6 at-large bids.

Now that I reread their announcement, I agree with you (as I responded to Leib above). I just assumed that they would use the same NET criteria for all teams. If they turn to multiple indexes, that would be better for the Gophers. If they include more subjective criteria (like these sorry assed programs haven't come this close in some time and could use some good news), that would be even better.

Is this 7 teams after whatever they get into the big dance? Or at this time there are 7 teams eligible for the NIT , knowing that probably at least 4 of those are going dancing elsewhere than the NIT.
It was post ncaa bids.

So 11 in postseason. Not that crazy considering the big ten has gone 8-9 in ncaa and 2-3 in the nit before.

Do they still give a spot to all regular season conference champs who don't make the NCAA's?

Top Bottom