Nice STrib profile: Ben Johnson makes Gophers men's basketball rebuild a singular focus

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Big Ten's youngest head coach is also the conference's only bachelor. Johnson's life is still basically basketball and Bruce.

"I don't have kids," Johnson says. "It's just me, this guy, and work right now."

Sometimes the work stretches long past midnight, with Johnson cozy and content with his dog, his laptop and his thoughts on how to turn around the program.

"Almost every night now, I've been watching practice film," Johnson says. "He just sits right next to me … Just cool and calm."

Building his alma mater from the ground up keeps the rookie coach's thoughts churning, especially since the Gophers have had only three winning Big Ten seasons in the past 20 years.

Go Gophers!!

This is really a nice article. I recommend that people read the whole thing.

I think it does a good job of explaining who Ben Johnson is and the approach he is taking to the job.
FWIW, there is a section where the coaches are scheming on different types of pressure defenses and presses, with a lot of input from Thorson.

Nice read. I like how they point out RPs sarcasm and the lack of it from BJ. I can appreciate that.
Keep grinding.

It is the type of job where singular focus is not a bad thing. Looking forward to this season understanding its going to be a rough ride.

Top Bottom