Next Year is Tubby's Make or Break Year

Missed-layup

Junior Member, a Senior Mind
Reaction score
This year is lost. The NIT is our most likely outcome
- Next year will show us whether Tubby still has it or not as a coach
- He will have to do a much better job getting next years team to play at a high level when you lose Westbrook, Johnson
- This years recruiting class is a virtual bust
- Freshman take time to develop thus we won't have much support from whatever freshman join our club
- JUCO's might be an answer to get a more immediate impact but this has not been a widely used Tubby tactic

The honeymoon will be over next year if the season isn't deemed successful.

To some, the honeymoon already is over.

This year might have been, he will be back next year, but a lot of folks were expecting more this year. I will maintain, as good as he is, some of this is nothing, he or anyone else, could have predicted.

I don't know about that. I'm worried about where things are heading, but I was worried about the slow start Coach Smith got off to his first year and then he close the deal on Iverson, Sampson, and signed Joseph in the end.

Maybe there wasn't a sense of urgency this past off-season and an assumption that we'd lock-up Releford, McCallum, or Joseph early and sign two complimentary players and we'd be a potential Great 8 team in two years. It seemed like we didn't cast a very wide net and had really limited options by August.

This recruiting season is huge. Coach Smith will have his Hall of Fame credibility on the line and Vince Taylor will hopefully find his power recruiter mojo to right the ship. Another Monson-like recruiting class and season on the bubble will really bring some tension to the barn.

This year might have been, he will be back next year, but a lot of folks were expecting more this year. I will maintain, as good as he is, some of this is nothing, he or anyone else, could have predicted.

I agree. I don't blame Tubby for very much of the off-court shenanigans that have gone on. Maturi is somewhat responsible for the press & policy side of things but I will give Tubby a pass on Mbewiwie, White, Nolan. Next year will be Tubbys telling year. We cannot afford, from a recruiting perspective, to have a second down year in a row. If Tubby pulls out 20 wins next year that will mean he did an excellent job of coaching. We might go backward more next year, it depends what Freshman we get. Lets just hope Tubby stays around.

I don't know about that. I'm worried about where things are heading, but I was worried about the slow start Coach Smith got off to his first year and then he close the deal on Iverson, Sampson, and signed Joseph in the end.

Maybe there wasn't a sense of urgency this past off-season and an assumption that we'd lock-up Releford, McCallum, or Joseph early and sign two complimentary players and we'd be a potential Great 8 team in two years. It seemed like we didn't cast a very wide net and had really limited options by August.

This recruiting season is huge. Coach Smith will have his Hall of Fame credibility on the line and Vince Taylor will hopefully find his power recruiter mojo to right the ship. Another Monson-like recruiting class and season on the bubble will really bring some tension to the barn.

Sampson, Iverson, and Joseph all committed to the program before Thanksgiving and they signed in the early period. So no, he did not add these three at the end.

Well said. Tubby has his work cut out for him. This years recruiting class will have to make up for two years (the failed 2009 class & the upcoming 2010). We will see what kind of magic he can pull out.

Give me a break! Dan Monson was here for 9 1/2 years and Tubby is in trouble in his 4th season? He is hear as long as he wants to be.

I agree that next year will reveal the long-term direction of this program under Tubby.

And while chances are that we are NIT bound, we have many winnable games left and still have a legit shot at sneaking in to the tourney. It also helps that the Pac-10 is very weak and a lot of the usual power teams are having an off year. The door may be wider open than it usually is.

Sampson, Iverson, and Joseph all committed to the program before Thanksgiving and they signed in the early period. So no, he did not add these three at the end.

I know. Iverson and Sampson committed late summer/early fall and Joseph right at the end of that period.

If Tubby steps down after next season what are the chances this will be like TT/Knight and Saul takes over as head coach?

Give me a break! Dan Monson was here for 9 1/2 years and Tubby is in trouble in his 4th season? He is hear as long as he wants to be.

I agree that next year will reveal the long-term direction of this program under Tubby.

And while chances are that we are NIT bound, we have many winnable games left and still have a legit shot at sneaking in to the tourney. It also helps that the Pac-10 is very weak and a lot of the usual power teams are having an off year. The door may be wider open than it usually is.

I'm not saying Tubby will be fired next year with a down year, if he chooses not to leave. What I'm saying is it will be much tougher for the team to rebound with two down years in a row. Tubby's image will be more tarnished and won't lend him to easy recruiting, especially in MN and the upper midwest, which he has to dominate from a recruiting perspective.

Tubby's recruits have only been here for 2 and a half years, and in exception to Bostick and Carter, they're only sophomores. Also, the 2010 class isn't complete yet. I'd rather wait untill his young recruits are seniors before I completely judge where the program is going. This years not even over yet though, I can see the team doing very well in the next 5 games and putting themselves in solid position for the NCAA tournament.

Tubby's recruits have only been here for 2 and a half years, and in exception to Bostick and Carter, they're only sophomores. Also, the 2010 class isn't complete yet. I'd rather wait untill his young recruits are seniors before I completely judge where the program is going. This years not even over yet though, I can see the team doing very well in the next 5 games and putting themselves in solid position for the NCAA tournament.

I hope you are right, but with a loss at Penn State that will be tough to rebound from. Our next games are difficult and likely we won't win but 2 of them.We need 20-22 wins to make e NCAA with a few wins over WI and PURDUE, which are unlikely.

I hope you are right, but with a loss at Penn State that will be tough to rebound from. Our next games are difficult and likely we won't win but 2 of them.We need 20-22 wins to make e NCAA with a few wins over WI and PURDUE, which are unlikely.

Are you saying that as a hypothetical scenario, or are you trying to state that as a fact? I could see us beating Wisconsin by the way, especially if Leuer is still out. Westbrook likes to save his breakout games for them it seems and our athleticism could pose problems for them. Not to mention it's a home game.

Gor, I could see us winning the rest of our games.....or I can see us losing the rest of our games.........I can't figure out where this squad is at....

Tubby isn't going anywhere. He has the best gig in the country. There are ZERO expectations here and he is paid handsomely. He can be just good enough to get in the NCAA Tournament once every 2-3 years and people will still adore him. Aside from the Clem years that have been erased form the books, the Gophs have not finished in the top 3 of the B10 since 1982 and have not won an NCAA Tournament game in like 20 years. What do you expect? Medicority is acceptable around here and you know what??? There's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. This is flyover country.

you are correct about mediocrity being acceptable and even expected!........
It is sad when a great university has sunk soo low the past 50 years in Athletics. The bar so low for winning that some folks in "fly over" country even think that for a University to have a stated objective to WIN is somehow a bad thing compromising the Universities educational values----popppycock.

This year is lost. The NIT is our most likely outcome
- Next year will show us whether Tubby still has it or not as a coach
- He will have to do a much better job getting next years team to play at a high level when you lose Westbrook, Johnson
- This years recruiting class is a virtual bust
- Freshman take time to develop thus we won't have much support from whatever freshman join our club
- JUCO's might be an answer to get a more immediate impact but this has not been a widely used Tubby tactic

This year is NOT lost. It certainly is disappointing SO FAR but that's all.

If next year plays out better than this one it will give Tubby some breathing room. As long as he makes the NCAA the fans will be content. Tubby is NOT going to leave Minn. for another school. What would be the point in starting over again? I don't see any big name school making him an offer nor do I think he would want that type of pressure again at this stage of his career. What would be the point of going to a school that is considered on the level of Minn.? I do think he is content here. I believe that Tubby wants to do well enough at Minn. to get enough good will so that the AD will give Saul a shot at head coach when Tubby decides to retire.

It is sad when a great university has sunk soo low ... that some folks ... even think that for a University to have a stated objective to WIN is somehow a bad thing compromising the Universities educational values.
Have any quotes to support that perception? Sounds to me that folks have been stating a far more nuanced view. Either you're unable to grasp anything beyond binary logic and/or you're simply bloviating (much like the hero of your tagline).

Are you saying that as a hypothetical scenario, or are you trying to state that as a fact? I could see us beating Wisconsin by the way, especially if Leuer is still out. Westbrook likes to save his breakout games for them it seems and our athleticism could pose problems for them. Not to mention it's a home game.

I just predict a loss to Penn State. Again, I hope they win, i just don't like how they are playing right now.

Tubby isn't going anywhere. He has the best gig in the country. There are ZERO expectations here and he is paid handsomely. He can be just good enough to get in the NCAA Tournament once every 2-3 years and people will still adore him. Aside from the Clem years that have been erased form the books, the Gophs have not finished in the top 3 of the B10 since 1982 and have not won an NCAA Tournament game in like 20 years. What do you expect? Medicority is acceptable around here and you know what??? There's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. This is flyover country.

Art,

If MN is fly over country, why does IOWA have better Athletics then we do? What is attractive about Iowa for an incoming recruit? We are losing out to Iowa because the expectation of Mediocrity that exists in this University. It is sad.

you are correct about mediocrity being acceptable and even expected!........
It is sad when a great university has sunk soo low the past 50 years in Athletics. The bar so low for winning that some folks in "fly over" country even think that for a University to have a stated objective to WIN is somehow a bad thing compromising the Universities educational values----popppycock.

ramble, ramble........................

Top Bottom