New Grad Transfer- Val Martin

Didn't they also recruit a DT from Washington, who is rated pretty high?

I don't assume he'll be gone but he seems like a prime candidate to potentially transfer.

He has two years of eligibility remaining, he will likely graduate this year (so it wouldn't impact his academics) and he is unlikely to be a starter in the next two weeks.
I think I’d almost be willing to guarantee it. I suppose we could decide to go to a bowl for big money but otherwise pretty limited chances. 🙃

Lack of stats playing time is a concern. This is a little different than getting Smith from Alabama or Dew-Treadway from Notre Dame. If you want to be an optomist, NC State had a DT and DE drafted in 2020 and two DT's drafted and two DE's (including Bradley Chubb at #5 overall) in 2018. Maybe they are DL U and Val Martin is going to make an impact!
Did Smith and Dew-Treadway play much at their previous schools? What about Chris Williamson and St. Juste? Don’t know the answer but they all have been solid. The staff as been really good at transfers working out.

Did Smith and Dew-Treadway play much at their previous schools? What about Chris Williamson and St. Juste? Don’t know the answer but they all have been solid. The staff as been really good at transfers working out.
I think Dew did play some at Notre Dame, but had been passed up on the depth chart and he transferred out to find more playing time. If he really does come back for a seventh year, as Burns seems to think he will, wow, he got probably way more than he could've ever hoped for! And good for him, and it certainly benefited us.

We need these Super Seniors to return. It will be good for the young pups behind them to develop.

We need these Super Seniors to return. It will be good for the young pups behind them to develop.
Totally agree with a big caveat...the young guys need some playing time in their development. I can’t put up with we’re sooo inexperienced and sooo young in year 6 or whatever the number tallies up to in season 2022.

Moving forward, it will get very interesting with people like Rashod Bateman (and others) deciding to declare early. The Transfer Portal is quickly becoming very important to programs like the Gophers.

Another caveat is that you develop players in your program. But, then you need to keep eyes and ears peeled. Potentially, players developed in the Gopher system may decide their fortunes are better elsewhere. They may decide to jump up to a higher P5 program where they may shine. They may jump to another school where playing time is guaranteed.

It will be very painful to lose linemen in particular because they are hard to come by.

Totally agree with a big caveat...the young guys need some playing time in their development. I can’t put up with we’re sooo inexperienced and sooo young in year 6 or whatever the number tallies up to in season 2022.

They will get playing time in rotation, and learn from the upperclassmen.

I think Dew did play some at Notre Dame, but had been passed up on the depth chart and he transferred out to find more playing time. If he really does come back for a seventh year, as Burns seems to think he will, wow, he got probably way more than he could've ever hoped for! And good for him, and it certainly benefited us.

Bring 'im back! We've seen what having a team of 30 year olds has done for the WI basketball team..

Top Bottom