Negative Press

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can reasonably dispute that the local major sports media outlets (strib, ppress, KFAN, etc...) are, at the very least, more often negative than positive in their coverage of the Gopher football program. Whether such coverage is deserved or not is a whole other discussion.

I generally don't let the media coverage bug me (other than the fact that there is a significant lack of coverage of Gopher football). That being said, the Strib's latest article on the Texas series cancellation did give me pause.

It is entitled: "Gophers lose home-and-home series with Texas" -- isn't the real story here that Texas backed out of the series due to its greedy-ass money grab policies? Wouldn't a better title be "Texas cancels home-and-home series with Minnesota" or "Texas backs out of home-and-home series" or "Texas sucks N*tz".

Maybe I'm just reading GH too much but the title seems overly negative to the Gophers, suggesting to those who don't look into the actual story behind the cancellation that the Gophers screwed something up.

Just venting.

There is nothing wrong with the headline.

What were the scores? How bad did we lose?

Unless you somehow believe the writer of this story debated in his head how the headline to this small blurb in the grand scheme of the Star Tribune's daily material could best portray a negative connotation to the Gopher Football team.......the headline's intent means nothing.

Unless you somehow believe the writer of this story debated in his head how the headline to this small blurb in the grand scheme of the Star Tribune's daily material could best portray a negative connotation to the Gopher Football team.......the headline's intent means nothing.

First of all, I don't have a problem with the headline.

But you are making an unwarranted assumption, that is that all biases are conscious and deliberate. We most certainally do NOT have to assume that the author was plotting how best to scheme against the Gophers.

Let's compare and contrast. The Austin Statesman is covering these developments with the following headlines:

Bevo to beef up non-conference schedule?
Big 12 Media Days: Tough scheduling

Minnesota series cancelled
The Longhorns’ home-and-home football series with Minnesota in 2015-16 has been cancelled because of issues over video footage of the games, a Texas spokesman said today.
No replacement opponent has been signed to replace the Golden Gophers.
The UT spokesman said issues arose over Big Ten restrictions for Texas to use game footage on its coaching shows and BEVOD cable channel.
“It’s extremely disappointing,” Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said. “The kind of agreement we could not come to is the same agreement every other school on our schedule agreed to. Every other school in the Big 12 agreed to this.”
The schools have not met in football since 1936.
Maturi said he and university officials learned earlier this month that Texas was backing out of the scheduled games.
“We have a signed agreement,” Maturi said. “If we wanted to go to court, we’d win, but that’s not our style.”
In a statement provided by the school, Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster, a former Longhorns assistant, also expressed his displeasure.
“Our fans and our team were excited to play Texas. Obviously, they weren’t as excited about playing us,” Brewster said. “We plan to fill that slot in our upcoming schedule with a quality BCS opponent.”

Everything in these articles is either 1.) 100% Journalistic objective (like the last piece), or 2.) Shameless water-carrying for UT and the Big 12 establishment (like the first two articles).

It is just so odd to read this stuff because it is literally the exact opposite of how Gopher Sports are covered here in the Twin Cities.

And unless things have changed recently the writer does not create the headline.

I almost missed it because of.

Chile's ugly, wide open mouth on the front page announcing a 4 page series of coverage on just the pre-season camp. So now we have to not only deal with the 21 page preview of the season coming up, but also a "special"on camp life. I believe the neighbor has a cat.They're always looking for paper to line the liter box seeing as they don't take a newspaper. This will be a new way to sh-t on the Vikings

Chile's ugly, wide open mouth on the front page announcing a 4 page series of coverage on just the pre-season camp. So now we have to not only deal with the 21 page preview of the season coming up, but also a "special"on camp life. I believe the neighbor has a cat.They're always looking for paper to line the liter box seeing as they don't take a newspaper. This will be a new way to sh-t on the Vikings

I'm sure Rhys Lloyd, Logan Payne, Marcus Sherels, Nate Triplett, etc. appreciate your defecation plans for your neighbors cat.

I have a buddy that lives in Crosslake, Minnesota and he says that the sporting goods stores there can't keep Vikes clothes in stock as they are selling fast. Hopefully as the Gophers report to camp the same excitement there takes place.

Go Gophers!!

Advice: enjoy following your team, worry less about the media

Have never concerned myself with whether the team I follow most closely (Gopher hoops) is criticized by the media. Why let that take away from your enjoyment of following a team? Is it that important to some of you that your team be "loved" by the media?

The answer for programs like Gopher football and basketball is to have sustained success. Plain and simple. Then that criticism will go away. But if that happens and the media starts saying wonderful things about your team, then we'll have people here complaining and getting all flustered because the media "jumped on the bandwagon."

Who cares whether the media likes your team or not. Enjoy following 'em. Don't let it get your dobber down.

Don't Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan provide you enough things to hate that you don't have to turn on the Vikings? I can't say looking at Childress is enjoyable but it's nothing compared to the sneer of Brett Beliema or the sinister look on Jon Voigt is it?

I also get annoyed with our local media, especially KFAN, but I must admit to laughing the out loud when riding in the car with a friend and he had KFAN on the radio. They played an audio drop, that I'm sure they play to death. It was from the radio broadcast of last year's South Dakota State game: "Touchdoowwwnnnnnn....Jackrabbits"

Can we schedule north dakota or south Dakota instead

I would much rather play a local team like nd or sd. Or even st. John's. It would be a better game and would attract local fans.

I would much rather play a local team like nd or sd. Or even st. John's. It would be a better game and would attract local fans.

That is an excellent suggestion, troll. I'm sure everyone would flock to that game. We should schedule it for the end of the season so it can be just like the SDSU game in terms of weather and crowd enthusiasm.

That is an excellent suggestion, troll. I'm sure everyone would flock to that game. We should schedule it for the end of the season so it can be just like the SDSU game in terms of weather and crowd enthusiasm.

Every time he gets banned from another website he shows up here.

It was a terrible choice of words for a headline, because it sounds like the Gophers lost back-to-back games to Texas. Cancelled would've been a much better choice of words. The headlines are written by the people on the copy desk, not the columnists. I doubt the people on the night desk at the Strib are thinking about how to stick it to the Maroon & Gold.

It was a terrible choice of words for a headline, because it sounds like the Gophers lost back-to-back games to Texas. Cancelled would've been a much better choice of words. The headlines are written by the people on the copy desk, not the columnists. I doubt the people on the night desk at the Strib are thinking about how to stick it to the Maroon & Gold.

I'll take that bet. Its just to smart ass to be an accident.

Top Bottom