Need Inside presence to win future games

Sota1

Reaction score
A win in this conference is a win, so not complaining here. But, we better see a more effective inside, offensive perfomance in the future or we will continue to live and die by the jump shots from our guards (which is scary). Our wins come when we shoot effectively from the outside. If we don't, we lose. Somehow we need to integrate the post guys and our inside forward game or we are in for more losses, especially on the road. It goes without saying, a very important game against Ohio State this weekend....

One guy who has shown improvement on his ability to make some moves and finish inside is Damian Johnson. For some reason our offense does not feature him posting up. Not sure why, but he could help down low IMO.

One guy who has shown improvement on his ability to make some moves and finish inside is Damian Johnson. For some reason our offense does not feature him posting up. Not sure why, but he could help down low IMO.
This is definitely true. But, it seems obvious to me that Damian isn't looking to score much on offense. We almost have to force-feed him the ball on the post to convince him to do something with it.

He's got a good offensive skill-set inside and should be good for 12 points a night, he's just not that aggressive calling/wanting the ball.

damian was posted up during the first half... big mismatch... no other defender within 10 feet.. to me, that's an automatic feed... 2 points or 2FTs..

But he was only getting glances from the guards or RS3 who insisted on perimeter passing all nite..

it just puzzles me why we got into a perimeter shooting match with a perimeter shooting team..

Does Tubby thinks it's bad sportsmanship to exploit another teams weakness????

Agreed 100%. And Tubby agrees as well. He's stated as such multiple times.

But either the players dont know how to feed the post, or dont want to, but it doesn't happen enough.

Ralph is a good passer. If he can get the ball enough down low and become a threat, teams will have to start doubling, which will actually open up shooters. (Maybe even Hoff against good teams).

Our passing into the post has gotten significantly better since Nolen has been out. Hoff, Devoe and Westbrook are finally starting to pass it inside, but honestly, we could/should still get it inside more. It would really help our half-court offense to run cutters off of a big man with the ball inside, especially with how good of passers Colton and Ralph seem to be.

This is definitely true. But, it seems obvious to me that Damian isn't looking to score much on offense. We almost have to force-feed him the ball on the post to convince him to do something with it.

He's got a good offensive skill-set inside and should be good for 12 points a night, he's just not that aggressive calling/wanting the ball.

I wonder how much Damian's hand injury in bothering him. He has taken very few jumpshots and he just seems to be less agressive on offense since his injury.

One of the strangest (dumbest) comments I've ever read on GH.

sorry, but i'm sticking to it until I see otherwise. didn't see them go after Morgan from MSU with 4 fouls w/10 minutes to go either..

me?? clear out and one-on-one vs Morgan... up-and-under head fakes until he bites... flop.. force the zebras to make the call..

tubby?? "Morgan is such a nice young man it would be a shame to put him on the spot."

post play

Anyone notice how we were able to post up on Northwesterns 6' guard under the basket when they ran their 1-3-1. It worked a few times with a tall presence at the free throw line (Sampson)feeding johnson and someone else down low.

Anyone notice how we were able to post up on Northwesterns 6' guard under the basket when they ran their 1-3-1. It worked a few times with a tall presence at the free throw line (Sampson)feeding johnson and someone else down low.

and how about a steady diet of back door slams from Williams against that weak and extended 1-3-1? the '3' was out beyond the FT line leaving Williams with a stiff 6-footer and no one else inside the FT line to defend..

but again, that would be "rude".

Top Bottom