Nebraska opens as 10 point favorites over Minnesota

Luke McCaffrey throws a worse-looking ball than previous Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez, and he threw worse than my 12-year-old niece.

McCaffrey is a tremendous runner, however. That guy can move.
Boy, that's tough, Taylor literally looked like he was shot-putting the football. I think 5 INTs so far or #7, but a respectable completion %.

so, Fleck says the gophers will have more than 20 players missing the Nebraska game with covid.

and people are surprised that the betting money is coming down on Nebraska?

Shoot, I'm surprised the line hasn't gone higher.

Granted, it would be more telling to know specifically which players are out, or which position groups are hit the hardest.

But unless all 20 players are walk-ons or 3rd-stringers, this game certainly has the potential to get out of hand.

that does not mean I am rooting against the Gophers, or rooting for them to get routed. I'm just admitting that this game has the potential to be a real mess.

among other things - with no Bateman, if I was the Nebraska DC, I would put 9 in the box and take Mo out of the game, then dare the Gophers to throw.

so, Fleck says the gophers will have more than 20 players missing the Nebraska game with covid...

After the Purdue game when the next outbreak happened Fleck said that 10 of the 20 missing players had injuries.

Then does this mean that the 10 injured players who missed the Purdue game will be back for Nebraska or that there will possibly 30 players from the roster who will be unavailable for Nebraska?

After the Purdue game when the next outbreak happened Fleck said that 10 of the 20 missing players had injuries.

Then does this mean that the 10 injured players who missed the Purdue game will be back for Nebraska or that there will possibly 30 players from the roster who will be unavailable for Nebraska?

if I recall the quote from Fleck, it was that 20 or more players would be out with covid, and he noted specifically that did not include any players who might be out with injuries. so, given the lack of info the U gives out on injuries, I suspect we will not know until the team comes out for pre-game warmups, and Gaardsie or the other reporters start tweeting out lists of players who are not in uniform.

Could be 25 out or more. so, the game could be a royal mess. or, some younger players might come in and surprise us.

if I recall the quote from Fleck, it was that 20 or more players would be out with covid, and he noted specifically that did not include any players who might be out with injuries. so, given the lack of info the U gives out on injuries, I suspect we will not know until the team comes out for pre-game warmups, and Gaardsie or the other reporters start tweeting out lists of players who are not in uniform.

Could be 25 out or more. so, the game could be a royal mess. or, some younger players might come in and surprise us.

Hope so but still remember Fleck talking about the breakdown after the game. Before the game he said 20 and didn't break it out. After the game, maybe during an unguarded moment, he said that either 10 or 11 were because of COVID.

Just looked and found this. Megan Ryan described the players on the sidelines. Assuming they were injured, otherwise they'd have to be quarantining correct? Regardless, hoping, but not counting, on the overall number being under 30.

Megan Ryan 11/20
Not dressed but on sidelines I've spied for the #Gophers: Benjamin St-Juste, Braelen Oliver, Ali Sad, Jimmy Buck, Itayvion Brown, Brevyn Spann-Ford, Curtis Dunlap Jr. Others from
@jgkfan
on the radio: Keonte Schad, Rashad Cheney Jr., Clay Geary, Michael Dixon, Treyson Potts.

Hope so but still remember Fleck talking about the breakdown after the game. Before the game he said 20 and didn't break it out. After the game, maybe during an unguarded moment, he said that either 10 or 11 were because of COVID.

Just looked and found this. Megan Ryan described the players on the sidelines. Assuming they were injured, otherwise they'd have to be quarantining correct? Regardless, hoping, but not counting, on the overall number being under 30.

Megan Ryan 11/20
Not dressed but on sidelines I've spied for the #Gophers: Benjamin St-Juste, Braelen Oliver, Ali Sad, Jimmy Buck, Itayvion Brown, Brevyn Spann-Ford, Curtis Dunlap Jr. Others from
@jgkfan
on the radio: Keonte Schad, Rashad Cheney Jr., Clay Geary, Michael Dixon, Treyson Potts.
Hard to say what is covid though. You are out 21 days but you are not quarantined 21 days.

so some of the guys at the stadium could’ve been Covid after 10-14 days but before 21.

Not really sure how it works

Martinez has run as much as McCaffery.
You are correct on the season, fair enough.

Not at all true in the Penn St, Illinois, and Iowa games. Martinez had a nice bounce back against Purdue.

Good grief.
What? That I said you were correct, but then correctly pointed out three recent games that don’t fit that at all?

Or was it something else? Feel free to contribute something next time.

I feel like if any high profile gophers were going to be out agaisnt Nebraska we would've found out by now (i.e. Morgan, Mo, CAB, Durr, St Just, etc.) As long as we have our main guys, a lot of our game can be plug and play. It doesn't seem like much of a gap in a lot of these positions based on what we've already seen from the defense. If the offense is full go minus Bateman, we could give up 40 points and I'd still be confident we would win the game.

I feel like if any high profile gophers were going to be out agaisnt Nebraska we would've found out by now (i.e. Morgan, Mo, CAB, Durr, St Just, etc.) As long as we have our main guys, a lot of our game can be plug and play. It doesn't seem like much of a gap in a lot of these positions based on what we've already seen from the defense. If the offense is full go minus Bateman, we could give up 40 points and I'd still be confident we would win the game.
Fleck will never tell. We’ll find out an hour before the game, as usual.

What? That I said you were correct, but then correctly pointed out three recent games that don’t fit that at all?

Or was it something else? Feel free to contribute something next time.
Nope, you captured it...agreeing and then following up with qualifiers/pivots to make yourself feel better...I guess?

Having played six games, there's three games where it was not at all true for McCaffrey. Also Martinez had more carries in the Iowa game. How'd I do?

Husker defense is getting much better: held Iowa to 100 yards rushing (about 3 yds/carry) and Purdue's total rushing was -2. Both QBs can shred the Gophers by running, and Martinez is hitting at about 80% passing his last two games. This should be a blowout win for Nebraska, as they've also been active in games and practices while the Gophers have not. Plus Rashad is not playing his last two games (or 14 if you throw in the extra year of eligibility) for whatever reasons. Two games!

Husker defense is getting much better: held Iowa to 100 yards rushing (about 3 yds/carry) and Purdue's total rushing was -2. Both QBs can shred the Gophers by running, and Martinez is hitting at about 80% passing his last two games. This should be a blowout win for Nebraska, as they've also been active in games and practices while the Gophers have not. Plus Rashad is not playing his last two games (or 14 if you throw in the extra year of eligibility) for whatever reasons. Two games!

Looks like they still gave-up 41, 20 and 27 points in the last three games. What happened?

The line seems high if the Gophers are mostly healthy and low if it's mostly backups on the line.

What was happening on defense before wasn't working so I'm not sure how much worse it could get. If the offensive line can't block it could get ugly quickly though.

10 days to get past the point where they are contagious and an extra 11 days to watch for cardiac symptoms that could cause problems when playing. The extra 11 days aren't necessary for the coaches because they stand on the sidelines.
They aren’t necessary for the players either, but Big Ten...

Our passing game will be better this Saturday due to more reps to the other young guys. If they try to stop Mo completely, I do believe its going to open up air for us. We may be down, but not that far down. We can do it.

Nope, you captured it...agreeing and then following up with qualifiers/pivots to make yourself feel better...I guess?

Having played six games, there's three games where it was not at all true for McCaffrey. Also Martinez had more carries in the Iowa game. How'd I do?
It's my fault for only thinking of their Penn St, Illinois, and Iowa games. Rushing stat lines for those games:

McCaffrey
13 - 67 - 5.2
26 - 122 - 4.7
5 - 42 - 8.4
Martinez
0 - 0 - 0
2 - 8 4.0
12 - 28 - 2.3

Attempts don't matter by themselves, of course. Based just on those, it isn't close.

That said, I incorrectly assumed it was that way for their whole season, and was surprised to find out that I was wrong. On the whole season, Martinez is still reasonably close in overall rushing stats.

McCaffrey
65 - 364 - 5.6
Martinez
53 - 268 - 5.1

Top Bottom