Nebraska’s Trey Palmer

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Here are highlights of the recent Nebraska Purdue game. Purdue’s defense held the Gophers to 10, and did pretty well against Nebraska’s running game. But Nebraska WR Trey Palmer (LSU transfer) had a field day against the Purdue secondary. Numerous explosive plays and Nebraska put up 37 points. Regardless of who is the QB for Nebraska Saturday, we’ve got to have a good strategy for reining in Palmer. He’s the real deal. We don’t want to fall behind the Huskers, or get in a shoot out with them. I think the key to this game is our defense … and TOP. I’m still kind of confused by the spread … unless Palmer is injured as well as Williams.

Defence was optional for both teams during the majority of that game. Purdue also tried the strategy of just not covering Palmer at times and it failed miserably.

Palmer is dangerous but I trust Rossi will have a good plan for how to keep him from being as wide open as he was in the Purdue game.

He also had 1 reception for 1 yard against Illinois. Was he injured?

Looks like he played the whole game, they just couldn't get the ball to him because Illinois has good corners and was physical with him. Had to be quite the contrast for him after the Purdue game where he was just allowed to run wide open all over the field :)

I do believe that Rossi will have a plan to smother Palmer, as Illinois did. Purdue seemingly did let Palmer run free the whole second half. He was so wide open on some of his explosive plays that it boggles the mind. Pressure on the Nebbie passer, whomever it proves to be, is another way to stifle Palmer. Can't throw deep shots to Palmer if you're quickly getting sacked or being chased around the yard. Given how the Nebraska passing game can pile up yards if the QB is unhurried, this might be a good game for the Gophers to dial up the pressure via blitzes. Looking forward to seeing Rossi's game plan unfold.

I do believe that Rossi will have a plan to smother Palmer
Joe isn't playing around anymore ...

Bussetta.jpg

I do believe that Rossi will have a plan to smother Palmer, as Illinois did. Purdue seemingly did let Palmer run free the whole second half. He was so wide open on some of his explosive plays that it boggles the mind. Pressure on the Nebbie passer, whomever it proves to be, is another way to stifle Palmer. Can't throw deep shots to Palmer if you're quickly getting sacked or being chased around the yard. Given how the Nebraska passing game can pile up yards if the QB is unhurried, this might be a good game for the Gophers to dial up the pressure via blitzes. Looking forward to seeing Rossi's game plan unfold.
Palmer is a good receiver but I watched a lot of that Purdue/Nebraska game and I really don't know what was going on with Purdue and their coverage on him, especially in the second half. I mean you would think after a guy torches you a couple times you would try something different but they just kept letting him run free and wide open much of the time.

He has only topped 100 yards receiving one other time and that was against Indiana.

Only thing that worries me is in the Nebraska and Illinois game Nebraska looked pretty motivated, more than in the past.

That’s something that we came up short in vs Purdue and never got back on track during that game.

Don’t know if it will matter but it has me worried.

Looks like he played the whole game, they just couldn't get the ball to him because Illinois has good corners and was physical with him. Had to be quite the contrast for him after the Purdue game where he was just allowed to run wide open all over the field :)

I think Palmer is better against zone than against man coverage. I think T-Time has the speed and size to defend Palmer, who isn’t that great at contested balls. We’ll see.

He could’ve just as well been with their qb play in the second half. Thompson also missed him a couple times in the first half

I think Palmer is better against zone than against man coverage. I think T-Time has the speed and size to defend Palmer, who isn’t that great at contested balls. We’ll see.
I haven’t watched Nebraska this year, but thought I heard Ryan’s Burns mention he gets most of his snaps in the slot. I doubt they put T-time in the slot. My guess is they just give whoever is covering him a lot of safety help.

I haven’t watched Nebraska this year, but thought I heard Ryan’s Burns mention he gets most of his snaps in the slot. I doubt they put T-time in the slot. My guess is they just give whoever is covering him a lot of safety help.
Palmer is bigger than I thought. Between 6’1” and 6’2”. Track champ in HS, too. Good slot receiver characteristics

Top Bottom