NDSU should throw a Joel Maturi/Tim Brewster appreciation gameday

Ole

Reaction score
All the hoopla and excitement over this game locally just further illustrates how godawful our AD is at his job, and really NDSU, SDSU, ND, and SD football owe him and Tim Brewster a debt of gratitude that possibly cannot be measured it is so large.

Scheduling these games is one thing, a nice gesture to nearby D2/1AA programs that would bring more opposing fans to games than a WAC/Sun Belt opponent.
Most BCS programs would have no problem giving this arrangement a go, win by 30 pat the opposition on the head and move on to bigger things.

Our AD instead of focusing on numerous attendance and gameday issues with our own fanbase took a cheap route to filling the stands by scheduling these games, AND was stupid enough to flub the head coaching hire with someone who would actually lose or underprepare for these games.

The results were magnified by our local media jackals who found it far too hilarious that the local Big Ten team is struggling to teams from the dakotas named things like Jackrabbits, Yotes, and Bizzzon, and futher magnified by our local newspapers who cater to whoever will buy their rags.

The damage this had done to our program is probably larger than can be measured, and the benefits to NDSU/SD/SDSU's recruiting and perception is equally unmeasurable.

Local kids who may be hoping to play for the Gophers but simply aren't ready right away, can walk on or grayshirt earning a scholarship OR have had the option of going west on a schollie and still having an opportunity to play in front of their freinds and family in a Big Ten stadium, against the local "Big Team", get themselves on BTN and have their day in the sun.

There are probably 5-10 kids starting now for the dakota teams that could be contributors for us right now, and possibly would be had they never been exposed to their current teams through the supposed "epic" upsets and tough games Brewster and Maturi scheduled and coached.

I graduated HS in 01'. I'm very serious when I say I had never heard of South Dakota St, or South Dakota, and NDSU football was equivalent to Bethel, St. Cloud St, or Winona St football.
You think that's the case now? No, instead those programs have been given unreal exposure, and have built their squads off of our potential walk ons and fringe recruits.

Now we have to play another one of these D1AA teams this time in a BTN night game, in a transition year, I'd love to say we win big and can pat the bizon on their heads on their way out of town like BCS teams should, but that's not a reality because of the godawful decisions of our spineless AD.
I hope someday he gets his plaque of appreciation in the Fargodome, because he really does deserve it.

Best case scenario we win by 40, Kaler walks Maturi to the 50 during halftime and hands him a pink slip, and our new AD shows he's not a fricken idiot and schedules FCS/FBS teams from recruiting areas we'd like to target and who cannot likely benefit from playing us.

All the hoopla and excitement over this game locally just further illustrates how godawful our AD is at his job, and really NDSU, SDSU, ND, and SD football owe him and Tim Brewster a debt of gratitude that possibly cannot be measured it is so large.

Scheduling these games is one thing, a nice gesture to nearby D2/1AA programs that would bring more opposing fans to games than a WAC/Sun Belt opponent.
Most BCS programs would have no problem giving this arrangement a go, win by 30 pat the opposition on the head and move on to bigger things.

Our AD instead of focusing on numerous attendance and gameday issues with our own fanbase took a cheap route to filling the stands by scheduling these games, AND was stupid enough to flub the head coaching hire with someone who would actually lose or underprepare for these games.

The results were magnified by our local media jackals who found it far too hilarious that the local Big Ten team is struggling to teams from the dakotas named things like Jackrabbits, Yotes, and Bizzzon, and futher magnified by our local newspapers who cater to whoever will buy their rags.

The damage this had done to our program is probably larger than can be measured, and the benefits to NDSU/SD/SDSU's recruiting and perception is equally unmeasurable.

Local kids who may be hoping to play for the Gophers but simply aren't ready right away, can walk on or grayshirt earning a scholarship OR have had the option of going west on a schollie and still having an opportunity to play in front of their freinds and family in a Big Ten stadium, against the local "Big Team", get themselves on BTN and have their day in the sun.

There are probably 5-10 kids starting now for the dakota teams that could be contributors for us right now, and possibly would be had they never been exposed to their current teams through the supposed "epic" upsets and tough games Brewster and Maturi scheduled and coached.

I graduated HS in 01'. I'm very serious when I say I had never heard of South Dakota St, or South Dakota, and NDSU football was equivalent to Bethel, St. Cloud St, or Winona St football.
You think that's the case now? No, instead those programs have been given unreal exposure, and have built their squads off of our potential walk ons and fringe recruits.

Now we have to play another one of these D1AA teams this time in a BTN night game, in a transition year, I'd love to say we win big and can pat the bizon on their heads on their way out of town like BCS teams should, but that's not a reality because of the godawful decisions of our spineless AD.
I hope someday he gets his plaque of appreciation in the Fargodome, because he really does deserve it.

Best case scenario we win by 40, Kaler walks Maturi to the 50 during halftime and hands him a pink slip, and our new AD shows he's not a fricken idiot and schedules FCS/FBS teams from recruiting areas we'd like to target and who cannot likely benefit from playing us.
CORRECT, Maturi, is the guy running guns to the enemy, only he thinks he is just balancing his budget. It might work if he could recognize a football coach, but the hilarious part is he finally stumbles into a real coach when no one else will take the job. Just perfect.

I really underestimated the clout of Tim Brewster. Able to schedule a game in 2006 against NDSU months before he was hired and then able to schedule a game for just months after he was hired.

Thank God you didn't mention Glen Mason. No way he'd sully his reputation by scheduling FCS teams to puff up his record. But as we know scheduling is ALL MATURI. For some reason Maturi absolutely loved creampuffs until around 2007 and then all of sudden decided he'd like to see USC, Texas, North Carolina, Oregon State on the schedule. That's bizarre.

Gee I wonder why? Could it be that they WERE THE EQUIVALENT? Maturi, Brewster, Mason, Bruininks, your siblings, Mayor Rybak, Goldy Gopher had nothing to do with NDSU becoming an FCS school years later

Scheduling games against FCS opponents is part of college football, there's nothing "cheap" about these games. If you're going to schedule FCS games anyway, why schedule one against a nearby school, instead of bringing in a school that no one had heard of? The mistake that was made was underestimating the demand for tickets in 2006. The tickets were sold cheap, when the U could have gotten more. But the U was expecting that the demand would be typical for games against FCS opponents, which was then quite low.

If the Dakota schools are getting players who might have walked on with the U, it's not from anything Maturi did, it's because these schools moved up from D-II to D-I. For all we know, these players might not have walked on with the U anyways, and instead have chosen some other FCS school.

The only problem is that we haven't been destroying these teams. That's Maturi's fault in the sense that he hired Brewster. But that's it.

Scheduling games against FCS opponents is part of college football, there's nothing "cheap" about these games. If you're going to schedule FCS games anyway, why schedule one against a nearby school, instead of bringing in a school that no one had heard of? The mistake that was made was underestimating the demand for tickets in 2006. The tickets were sold cheap, when the U could have gotten more. But the U was expecting that the demand would be typical for games against FCS opponents, which was then quite low.

If the Dakota schools are getting players who might have walked on with the U, it's not from anything Maturi did, it's because these schools moved up from D-II to D-I. For all we know, these players might not have walked on with the U anyways, and instead have chosen some other FCS school.

Max-I'm more going after Maturi here, Brewster was simply one of his hires.
I agree that NDSU et al. went FCS without any help from anyone else, but their programs have been glorified by playing the gophers, I have no problem with kids going to play there if they desire a scholarship instead of walking on, but then they should understand they don't get to come home and play in their local Big ten teams' stadium on national TV.

Top level FCS struggles with the stigma built up by years of getting crushed by BCS teeams but the Montanas, NDSUs, Richmonds, and Villanovas are now on par talent wise with the MAC conference...USD was a whole different level of ineptitude.

Max-I'm more going after Maturi here, Brewster was simply one of his hires.
I agree that NDSU et al. went FCS without any help from anyone else, but their programs have been glorified by playing the gophers, I have no problem with kids going to play there if they desire a scholarship instead of walking on, but then they should understand they don't get to come home and play in their local Big ten teams' stadium on national TV.

I really don't think that players are choosing the Dakota schools because MAYBE they will get a chance to play one game at TCF Bank Stadium. We played SDSU in 2009, they will be on the schedule in 2015. None of the current SDSU players (except for any redshirting freshmen) will be playing at TCF in 2015. There's no room on the schedule for NDSU until at least 2017.

Top Bottom