NCAA may vote on transfer legislation in Jan 2021

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-...-change-vote-delayed-until-January-146448255/

"
The NCAA released the following Friday:

“The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the concept in January 2021.”

"

EDIT: it has been pointed out that the 247 article did not accurately quote the NCAA release, which was very confusingly worded.

The vote for updating the transfer waiver guidelines is still scheduled in May 2020:

Last edited:

For the Gophers, this means Robbins (from Drake) just took a big hit to his chances to be eligible this fall. The family hardship waiver is a joke, and as far as I know, can be veto'ed by Drake.

I highly doubt he will be eligible, looks like Omersa and Freeman in the post.

More totally fake news reporting by MplsGopher -- trying to mislead everyone again by deleting key words from an article. Here's the complete paragraph.

"The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month."

The vote in January is dealing with medical care.

@Livingat45north , please don't lie about what I said.

Here is a screenshot of the article I linked to, as it appears right now in my browser.

0OiI7tH.png

What you claim is said, does not appear there.

Care to revise your statement?? Or provide a different link??

Also, your link from the NCAA is dated Nov 2019. It only references January in talking about a vote that occurred Jan 2019.

@Livingat45north , please don't lie about what I said.
What you claim is said, does not appear there.
Care to revise your statement?? Or provide a different link??

Yet more fake news from you. You included the link in your own post, it's a link to a press release that is dated yesterday. Here you go, from your own post.

"According to a release"

And in that press release it says:

Transfers
The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month.

*WOW* How dishonest is @Livingat45north ??

- Accuses me of lying by omitting part of the paragraph
- I prove to him that I accurately quoted the paragraph from my link
- he doesn't apologize for calling me a liar, even though I proved that was wrong
- in fact, he doubles down
- then points out my link was linking to an NCAA webpage
- then he himself falsely quotes the NCAA webpage, leaving off the last sentence that verifies what I originally said, and what 247 said, is *correct*

From the NCAA link:

"
The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the legislative concept in January 2021.
"

Here is from the link about the moratorium:

"
The board also placed a moratorium on transfer-related proposals for the 2019-20 legislative cycle to allow time for additional data collection and a review of the waiver process and criteria. Multiple conferences had indicated they intended to introduce transfer-related legislation by the Nov. 1 deadline.

The moratorium means no transfer concepts will be considered in this cycle. The board requested additional data and information be gathered to inform legislation that could be proposed in the 2020-21 cycle:

"

This is what they were talking about. Not, as Living incorrectly claimed, about mental health.

Here is from the link about waiver guidelines:

"
The working group concept would change waiver criteria to allow approvals for first-time four-year transfers in all sports to compete immediately if they:
  • Receive a transfer release from their previous school.
  • Leave their previous school academically eligible
  • Maintain their academic progress at the new school
  • Leave under no disciplinary suspension.
The waiver criteria are the same as the legislated exception already allowed for student-athletes who compete in any sport other than baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey.
"

So that said, I do agree that the NCAA link says that the council could vote on the guideline changes by next month.

Meaning, it's not dead in the water yet.

If the guideline changes are voted on and approved immediately, then Robbins could in theory apply for a transfer waiver (not a family hardship waiver, just a general waiver from the rule that he has to sit a year) and be approved for it.

To me, the bullet points still feels like Drake can kill it. We'll see.

*WOW* How dishonest is @Livingat45north ??

- Accuses me of lying by omitting part of the paragraph
- I prove to him that I accurately quoted the paragraph from my link
- he doesn't apologize for calling me a liar, even though I proved that was wrong
- in fact, he doubles down
- then points out my link was linking to an NCAA webpage
- then he himself falsely quotes the NCAA webpage, leaving off the last sentence that verifies what I originally said, and what 247 said, is *correct*

From the NCAA link:

"
The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the legislative concept in January 2021.
"
Digging that hole even deeper, aren't you. FACT: You absolutely left off the key part of the paragraph, you didn't include the bolded part of this sentence, "While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month."

You conveniently ignore that. What you stated in the thread you started is wrong. The vote you referenced has nothing to do with the transfer rule of being immediately eligible, nothing at all. Once again (like all those posts where you insinuated that the Walton family is corrupt and taking kickbacks from colleges) you're trying to start some conspiracy theory,

"Guessing that a lot of players who were given advice to get into the transfer portal this spring, because it was all but guaranteed that transfers would be allowed to be immediately eligible by a rule change, just got seriously f___ed over. Wonder who is behind this. The right people talked to the right people, and got this sacked." - MPLSGOPHER

When you start a thread, at least read the article, instead of jumping to some conspiracy theory of people "seriously f___ed over."

FACT: You absolutely left off the key part of the paragraph
Liar.

I quoted the 247 article, and gave a screenshot proving I didn't leave anything out of what that article shows.

The vote you referenced has nothing to do with the transfer rule of being immediately eligible, nothing at all.
Wrong. And I proved that.

Good to know.

This is 247's fault, entirely. I quoted them. I disavow them for not fully quoting the NCAA release. The release itself was indeed very confusingly worded. I will update the main post.

The vote in January unquestionably is about transfer eligibility rules.

Liar.

I quoted the 247 article, and gave a screenshot proving I didn't leave anything out of what that article shows.

Wrong. And I proved that.
What you posted: "“The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the concept in January 2021.”

What the NCAA actually stated: "The Council discussed recommendations from the Transfer Waiver Working Group, which has recommended that waiver guidelines be changed to allow first-time four-year transfers in all sports the ability to compete immediately. While the group didn’t take a vote on the recommendations, it provided valuable feedback with regard to timing and uncertainty related to the COVID-19 pandemic and could vote on the guidelines changes next month. It also recommended the Division I Board of Directors lift the moratorium it placed on transfer legislation last fall in order for the Council to vote on the legislative concept in January 2021."

Cased closed. You are wrong once again. Unlike you I have a life outside of Gopherhole. Over and out, this is a useless thread that should be closed down. Just more fake news from you.

That is good news, I just don't see Robbins being eligible if some kind of one time or permanent rule change that covers everyone isn't implemented
He (like all players) can request a waiver from the NCAA rule that says transfers have to sit out a year.

There are established guidelines for awarding such waivers. It has been recommended to update those guidelines to basically allow any player requesting a waiver for the first time, to get it, if they are in "good standing" academically and with the team.

Top Bottom