NCAA implements appeals process for targeting and introduces 'Kenny Pickett rule'

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score

The NCAA implemented an appeals process for targeting fouls called in the second half of games, effective immediately, it was announced on Thursday. It was one of several rule changes that will be implemented for the 2022 season.

The carryover penalty — sitting out the first half of the next game — is eligible for further appeal in games that have instant replay. To start the appeals process, that team’s conference will have to make a request to the NCAA national coordinator of officials, who would review video of the play.

“If it is obvious that a player was incorrectly penalized for targeting, the call would be overturned, and the player would be cleared to play in the first half of the next game,” the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel said Thursday.

The group also approved a reporting and investigation process for faked injuries. It also officially passed a rule change that fans are colloquially calling the "Kenny Pickett rule," stating “if a ball carrier simulates a feet-first slide, officials will declare the runner down at that spot.”

Hopefully a post-game process, where the penalty is carried out the following week.

Hard to judge, however.
This video comes to mind given that players will now have to continue selling their fake injuries after the fact.

So, you still have a difference of opinions. One observer is the official who called it in the first place, the ref who will review the play on site, and then apparently someone after the game to see if two officials were wrong.

Fake injuries have been around for decades. There finally was a rule that the player had to sit out one play after an injury time out.
Rather than make the officials make an impossible judgment if the player was really injured or not make every player in a time-out injury sit out at least four plays or even a quarter.

Whole fake injury thing reminds me of the tale of Notre Dame's (and future pro football great) "Fainting" Frank Varrichione, who bedeviled the Iowa Hawkeyes by faking losing consciousness twice during a hard-fought battle that ended in a 14-14 tie that kept the Irish out of the loss column on their way to a #1 end-of-season ranking.

Here's an article that outlines Notre Dame Coach Frank Leahy's fake injury strategy: Fake injuries were issue 70 years ago but it was cleaned up. Can it be cleaned up now?

I watch a lot of football but I must not be watching the right games because I don't get the obsession about the "fake" injury thing and have not seen it as a significant issue.

I mean, I guess if they want to review games after the fact and see if a team has a pattern where a player goes down, comes out for one play, and then is immediately ready to come back in that would make some sense. But overall I just don't see this as a significant problem. Maybe I would if we were one of those teams running the hyper fast offenses that tries to snap the ball in a couple seconds....or if I was an Iowa fan because apparently their slow as molasses offense gets victimized by teams faking injuries to I guess slow them down even more?....

I realize I am in the minority, but I loved the Kenny Pickett fake slide.

I can understand the reason for outlawing the move, but the first time I saw it, I was howling with laughter at just how audacious that move was.

If nothing else, I give him credit for creativity. Even if he has "small hands."

I can understand the reason for outlawing the move, but the first time I saw it, I was howling with laughter at just how audacious that move was.

If nothing else, I give him credit for creativity. Even if he has "small hands."
I don't blame him for exploiting a loophole in a rule but outlawing it is the right change to make. Hard to believe that wasn't in the rules right away when they started outlawing hitting a sliding QB.

Bill Belichick was jealous of the move.

I don't blame him for exploiting a loophole in a rule but outlawing it is the right change to make. Hard to believe that wasn't in the rules right away when they started outlawing hitting a sliding QB.
Quite often I think they are too hard on the defensive player when they call the penalty on hitting the sliding player. Those guys are going full go and have committed to hitting the runner. Then a split second before the defender hits him the player slides. I just think in many cases it is physically impossible for the defender to pull away from the hit.

Hey SON, my late mother had saved a bunch of Augsburg Echos from the years I attended (I was a couple of years ahead of you) that my sister passed to me when she was cleaning out a closet recently (my mother was a pack rat) and I saw some of your handiwork on the sports page. Loved the "Auggies Choke on Iowa Corn" headline after our boys lost a couple down that way.

Hey SON, my late mother had saved a bunch of Augsburg Echos from the years I attended (I was a couple of years ahead of you) that my sister passed to me when she was cleaning out a closet recently (my mother was a pack rat) and I saw some of your handiwork on the sports page. Loved the "Auggies Choke on Iowa Corn" headline after our boys lost a couple down that way.

to be clear, I did not write that headline. But I heard plenty about it from the AD, the basketball coach and some of the players. I also got in trouble for an article on the Football team that used the phrase "the game of the weak" to preview a matchup between Augsburg and Macalester.

I was young and foolish in those days. now I'm old and cynical.

to be clear, I did not write that headline. But I heard plenty about it from the AD, the basketball coach and some of the players. I also got in trouble for an article on the Football team that used the phrase "the game of the weak" to preview a matchup between Augsburg and Macalester.

That's good stuff SON, I did not know that about you. Wish Sid was still around so you could write up his Sunday show. (Oh, and I am outraged by that cheap shot at the matchup).

I think I would level him the next time he came around regardless of whether he was standing or sliding. Can't have it both ways, so might as well level him.

Also known as the Meg Ryan rule.

I watch a lot of football but I must not be watching the right games because I don't get the obsession about the "fake" injury thing and have not seen it as a significant issue.

I mean, I guess if they want to review games after the fact and see if a team has a pattern where a player goes down, comes out for one play, and then is immediately ready to come back in that would make some sense. But overall I just don't see this as a significant problem. Maybe I would if we were one of those teams running the hyper fast offenses that tries to snap the ball in a couple seconds....or if I was an Iowa fan because apparently their slow as molasses offense gets victimized by teams faking injuries to I guess slow them down even more?....
I don't think it's a big deal in the Big Ten because there aren't a lot of "hurry up" offenses.

What I have read about (perhaps on here) before is in order to buy more time between plays, when facing such offenses, like for example a LB will suddenly fall down to the ground in agony. Game stops for injury time out, trainers come out, etc. Then the guy "somehow" manages to get back up and walk back to the sideline under his own power.

Boy, things must have tightened up at the Echo. I was sports editor for a year before you got to the Harvard of Minneapolis and the editor let me run the page. The down side was no one would write for me because I was such an anal retentive jerk so I ended up doing about 90% of the stories myself.

One of the highlights of my interviewing career is that I called up an opposing coach to talk about the upcoming season. One of his players was mentioned in Street & Smith's college football preview as a possible pro prospect (a big kid who did actually play a season in the NFL). I said to the coach "I see (player's name) is being mentioned as someone who could play in the NFL." Without missing a beat the coach said "Him? Really?" Totally different era in coach/player relationships I guess.

Top Bottom