NCAA FLOOR

macgopher

Reaction score
Only in America, and why America will survive this recession. America knows how to innovate.

Jason Heinneman's small company, Johnson Thomas Flooring, on Milwaukee's south side is only two years old, and six employees, and make the NCAA floors for 5 of the regional locations, including the floor the Gopher's played on at the Bradly Center against Xavier.

The company 's greatest pride, it's Canadian Maple floors were selected for the Final Four in Indy.

mac

Only in America, and why America will survive this recession. America knows how to innovate.

Jason Heinneman's small company, Johnson Thomas Flooring, on Milwaukee's south side is only two years old, and six employees, and make the NCAA floors for 5 of the regional locations, including the floor the Gopher's played on at the Bradly Center against Xavier.

The company 's greatest pride, it's Canadian Maple floors were selected for the Final Four in Indy.

Canadian Maple ???

Don't we even make maple flooring anymore?

:confused:

More than anyone wants to know, but can't resist:

(And no, I don't work for this company, I am a banker. And I don't bank them, just heard about them.)

Anyway a Maple is indigenous to Asia, perhaps more so than America or Canada. Though a very common tree in all three countries.

A red maple leaf is the prominent feature of the flag of Canada.

Sugar Maple in North America, often known as "hard maple", is the wood of choice for bowling pins, bowling alley lanes, pool cue shafts, Butcher's blocks and basketball floors.

Get story about the floors. But a few quick comments about the floor. I realize they don't design the floor that's the NCAA job, and we all know about them.

1. Why is the NCAA logo on center court the same size as the circle. They are 2 different sizes.
2. Why isn't there paint in, well, the paint.

According to the story, the owner of the company paints the floor's himself, it is a small company. But you'd have to ask the NCAA what it is he is instructed to paint.

Is this the first time that all of the floors in use have been the same design? To me it comes off as boring. I used to like seeing the unique arenas when games were played all over the country. Not you can't even tell which game you're watching (when they switch from game to game) unless you look at the uniforms. What is the point of being the "host school" if the floor is going to be black with a little blue and a generic NCAA jump circle? Oh well... just another move toward conformity. Maybe next year they'll force all of the teams to wear a generic NCAA uniform (one team in black and one team in white... with just a bit of blue accent color).
: 0 (

Floors were like that a year ago as well. I don't really love them all being the same. I'd rather see four colors or something so that when you're in a sports bar, you have a better chance of telling the games apart.

Agreed. I hate the floors. Part of the charm and the memory of some of the great past games in the tourney is you can distinguish where they were played. I loved watching games at the Pit, at Boise State, at Cleveland State, etc. When Tyus Edny went the length of the floor to beat Missouri, it was on the Boise State floor. I can picture it clearly. I don't mind the Final Four having that floor, and maybe even the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, but the first two rounds should not. You're right, when they switch from game to game, sometimes you don't even notice. Lame.

It's one of my only complaints about the tourney. The only other one is this: Why does CBS insist on having a standalone game to start Sat and Sun of round 2? First of all, if it's a terrible game like Gonzaga-Syracuse, you're stuck with it no matter what. On Saturday it's not as bad because you have a quadrupleheader, so things are still spread out pretty well. But on Sunday, you've got that one game, then 4 all at the same time followed by 3 more all the same time. Why? Why can't they just go 2-3-3? And on Saturday go 2-2-2-2? I have never understood that.

That's it. My only two complaints. I don't get it, but I can live with it (as long as they don't expand to 96).

It's impossible to enjoy a college basketball game if not played on a raised floor with coaches seated on stools. Why all colleges don't adapt to this standard is beyond me.

According to this, the floor was made in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, but went to Jason Thomas Flooring Inc. for "final touches".

I'm with you guys, I hate the boring design that is in all the arenas. I'm not sure why the NCAA felt compelled to change the floor designs from the original. I loved how all the floors were different. Also, it was kinda neat to see 2 different teams playing on the homecourt of another team. As fas as I can tell, the women's tournament hasn't done this.

I just went to a Women's NCAA first round game yesterday, and at least at the site I was at, it was the host schools regular floor, with a NCAA logo decal placed near each free throw lane, and a patriotic ribbon decal covering over the on floor advertising for the company that has the arena naming rights.

Put me in the camp that hates the standardized floors. For all the reasons mentioned above, but namely the fact it takes longer to register what game you ware watching if either your CBS station is doing 'whip around' coverage, or you are in a bar with the ncaa package showing all the games. Not only that, I find the standard floor to be ugly, if only because the paint is not painted.

I can see using the stadnard floors when you get to the Sweet 16 and higher when you are typically using NBA arenas which have different court markings, or in some cases football stadiums and other larger venues that many not own a basketball floor.

Top Bottom