NCAA DI Board of Directors recommends against updating transfer waiver guidelines

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...nd-presidential-forum-discuss-future-division

"
Transfers

The groups also received an update from the Transfer Waiver Working Group. That group, appointed by the board last fall, was charged with studying potential changes to the waiver process. Waiver guidelines can be changed at any time, and that group has recommended that waiver guidelines allow the opportunity for a one-time transfer waiver for student-athletes in the five sports not legislatively allowed to transfer and compete immediately: men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, men’s ice hockey and football. The waiver criteria would mirror the legislative opportunity for student-athletes in other sports. The Division I Council could vote on the guideline changes as early as its May meeting.

The waiver working group also recommended the board lift the moratorium on transfer legislation to allow the membership to consider proposals that could provide permanent access to the one-time transfer opportunity for all Division I student-athletes.

The board agreed to lift the moratorium on transfer legislation for the 2020-21 legislative cycle but recommended to the Council that changes to the waiver process as suggested by the working group are not appropriate at this time. Board members recommended the waiver process be sensitive to student-athlete well-being, especially those impacted by COVID-19 in the interim period.

"

So there are three layers to this thing:

- the working group, that recommended the transfer waiver guidelines be updated to allow basically a one-time no-sit transfer to all athletes
- the DI board
- the full DI council, that will vote

I guess it is possible that the full council that votes could ignore the board's recommendation? I have no idea how likely that is.

Obviously, like most things in life, it will come down to if the right people talk to the right people.

If the free-for-all transfer is not allowed, the Gophers are going to be an awful basketball team next season. So I'd obviously like for that rule to go into effect.

On a larger scale, one thing I've been confused on is when they say 'one-time transfer rule', does that mean that this one time, anyone currently in college will be allowed to transfer to somewhat reset the whole system, or does that mean that any player, at any time, gets one 'get out of jail free' card during his college career?

If the free-for-all transfer is not allowed, the Gophers are going to be an awful basketball team next season. So I'd obviously like for that rule to go into effect.

On a larger scale, one thing I've been confused on is when they say 'one-time transfer rule', does that mean that this one time, anyone currently in college will be allowed to transfer to somewhat reset the whole system, or does that mean that any player, at any time, gets one 'get out of jail free' card during his college career?
The pandemic certainly gives them cover to say "this is for this year only" and see how it goes.

In general I really don't want this change to be adopted because I don't want more transfers in basketball. However, I would absolutely be in favor of transfers not having to sit out a year when a coach is fired or leaves for another program.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a COVID exception for this year. :)

In general I really don't want this change to be adopted because I don't want more transfers in basketball. However, I would absolutely be in favor of transfers not having to sit out a year when a coach is fired or leaves for another program.

Agree 100%

per Marcus:

Thursday’s NCAA transfer news gives Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino only one option for two of his newcomers to play next season: waivers.

Like other coaches who were recruiting Liam Robbins and Drew Peterson in the transfer portal this spring, Pitino was willing to gamble about them avoiding a sit-out year.

But the one-time transfer rule for immediate eligibility is unlikely to pass for the 2020-21 season. The Division I board of directors recommended Thursday that no changes be made to the current transfer process.

NCAA rules require undergraduate transfers in football, men’s and women’s basketball, hockey and baseball sit out one season before being eligible to play at their new school.

“Coach Pitino told me he wants me ready to go,” Peterson, a 6-foot-8 Rice transfer, said after committing Monday. “If we can get me playing first year, we’re ready to go with that. If things don’t go well [with the waiver process] and I sit out a year, it’s good for development anyway. I talked to Coach Pitino about that.”

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Thursday’s NCAA transfer news gives Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino only one option for two of his newcomers to play next season: waivers.

Like other coaches who were recruiting Liam Robbins and Drew Peterson in the transfer portal this spring, Pitino was willing to gamble about them avoiding a sit-out year.

But the one-time transfer rule for immediate eligibility is unlikely to pass for the 2020-21 season. The Division I board of directors recommended Thursday that no changes be made to the current transfer process.

NCAA rules require undergraduate transfers in football, men’s and women’s basketball, hockey and baseball sit out one season before being eligible to play at their new school.

“Coach Pitino told me he wants me ready to go,” Peterson, a 6-foot-8 Rice transfer, said after committing Monday. “If we can get me playing first year, we’re ready to go with that. If things don’t go well [with the waiver process] and I sit out a year, it’s good for development anyway. I talked to Coach Pitino about that.”

Go Gophers!!
Basically just copy-and-pasted this thread and the other one.

Thanks Marcus!

They're just basically saying they don't even want to bother with putting a "band-aid" on the waiver guidelines, they want to address transfer head-on with new legislation.

So it's possible that, defacto, the waiver group that approves or denies them will mostly just blanket approve them.

Also possible that the council could overall disagree with the board on updating the guidelines now. Like I said, if the right people talk to the right people ...

Top Bottom