NC State vs MD in Charlotte; at least 4 opt-outs for Terps expected...Maryland seeing a lot leave for NFL

swingman

Reaction score
Maryland football saw its third bowl opt-out on Monday, when cornerback Deonte Banks announced his decision to declare for the NFL Draft and skip Maryland's appearance in the Duke's Mayo Bowl against N.C. State. Banks, a junior whose decision was first reported by InsideMDSports, was one of the team's top defensive backs this season.

A 6-2, 205-pound Baltimore native, Banks recorded 25 tackles, eight passes defended and one interception this season and was rated as Maryland's best cornerback by Pro Football Focus. Although he didn't post major statistics in his career, in part because of an injury that kept him out all of last season, scouts are high on his potential because of his size and athleticism, and he's expected to be drafted.

He's the third player to opt-out of the bowl game, along with receivers Dontay Demus and Jacob Copeland, the latter of whom also could've returned but will instead declare for the draft. Receiver Rakim Jarrett is also expected to announce soon that he'll skip the bowl and forego his final season.

"Being from where I come from, there's not many that get the opportunity to attend such a prestigious institution while playing Division I football. I always wanted to be the kid who stayed home, represented where he's from and put on for the state and my city. To my teammates, I love y'all! You turned these 4 years into an incredible journey and put it all on the line for me just as much I did for y'all," he wrote.

Maryland will have to replace two of its top three cornerbacks in Banks and Jakorian Bennett, who has finished his eligibility.

Top Bottom