National magazine predictions on Gophers

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
I just picked up four preseason college basketball magazines. Here is what I found:
-Sporting News: Gophers predicted No. 6 directly behind Michigan and in front of Northwestern
-Lindy's: Gophers predicted No. 6 directly behind Illinois and in front of Wisconsin. Note: Michigan ranked No. 9 in the country!!! What?
-
Athlon: Gophers predicted No. 6 directly behind Illinois and in front of Wisconsin.
-Yahoo Sports: No predictions. It remarks that "Big prizes could be in the Gophers' future, possibly as soon as this year." Note: Westbrook ranked as No. 8 shooting guard in the country but not projected to make all-conference.

Observations: Lots of hype about Royce White in each magazine and very little talk about Paul Carter. Every magazine has the Gophers reaching the tournament and losing in the first round. None of the issues have the Gophers in the Top 25, which is a little disappointing, but whatever. Athlon doesn't list Mbawke as one of the top 40 "Impact Transfers" in the nation while Sporting News tabs him as "best transfer" in the Big 10. Somehow Al Nolen is listed as the most underrated player in the Big 10 by Athlon. Royce White is selected as "Newcomer of the Year" by Athlon.

Well, I for one can't see them falling below anybody but Purdue and MSU.
We only play Wisconsin and Illinois once each this year and both of them towards the end of the season when you would expect us to be a strong cohessive squad.

Who else? Ohio State? Maybe but I don't see it this year.

Michigan? I don't thinks so. (Number 9 in the country? Hardly?)

We have everybody back. Tubby has explained the facts of life to them and they will be ready.
This should be one fantasic season!

What a joke, ALL those magaizines claim 6th in the Big Ten? I'd be extremely disappointed if this team finished worse than 4th in the conference.

I think spots 3-6 are a toss up between us, Illinois, OSU and Michigan. My goal for the team is to finish the season ranked, which should mean a 6 seed or better, no lower than 7. As long as the conference plays well in the preseason, there's room in the top 25 for about 5 B10 teams this season.. 6 may be pushing it, but isn't impossible.

What a joke, ALL those magaizines claim 6th in the Big Ten? I'd be extremely disappointed if this team finished worse than 4th in the conference.

I think it will be tough to leap-frog Ohio State with Lighty back. Michigan State and Purdue are almost a lock at the two top spots. Michigan is talented and (more importantly) well-coached and Illinois returns a tone of talent from a team that ended 11-7 in the BT. I think fourth would be at the higher-end of where the Gophers should finish, but I understand your frustrations. I don't know how Michigan can crack the national top 10 like one magazine has them.

I personally think if any team that finishes in the top 6 of the Big 10 is a d@mn good team. When you have 2 legit top 10 teams(Purdue and MSU) a the top then a slug of teams that could be ranked any given week(Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinios, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State) Penn State and Wisconsin are both team are the most fringe top 25 teams(never cut out a Bo Ryan team and Taylor Battle is a legit top scoring threat).

In my opionion there is no shame if the Gopher finish 6th this team in the Big 10. Anything lower would be a dissapointment though.

[/B]Observations: Lots of hype about Royce White in each magazine and very little talk about Paul Carter. Every magazine has the Gophers reaching the tournament and losing in the first round. None of the issues have the Gophers in the Top 25, which is a little disappointing, but whatever. Athlon doesn't list Mbawke as one of the top 40 "Impact Transfers" in the nation while Sporting News tabs him as "best transfer" in the Big 10. Somehow Al Nolen is listed as the most underrated player in the Big 10 by Athlon. Royce White is selected as "Newcomer of the Year" by Athlon.[/QUOTE]

I think Mbakwe got lost in Athlon's "Impact Transfers" as he's not a prototypical transfer (like say, Jai Lucas), with Trevor going from Marquette to Miami-Dade.

[/B]Observations: Lots of hype about Royce White in each magazine and very little talk about Paul Carter. Every magazine has the Gophers reaching the tournament and losing in the first round. None of the issues have the Gophers in the Top 25, which is a little disappointing, but whatever. Athlon doesn't list Mbawke as one of the top 40 "Impact Transfers" in the nation while Sporting News tabs him as "best transfer" in the Big 10. Somehow Al Nolen is listed as the most underrated player in the Big 10 by Athlon. Royce White is selected as "Newcomer of the Year" by Athlon.

I think Mbakwe got lost in Athlon's "Impact Transfers" as he's not a prototypical transfer (like say, Jai Lucas), with Trevor going from Marquette to Miami-Dade.[/QUOTE]

It's also hard to be an impact transfer when you're suspended and facing possible jail time.

For having such a sweet moniker, Art Vandelay sure does suck as a person...

I think Mbakwe got lost in Athlon's "Impact Transfers" as he's not a prototypical transfer (like say, Jai Lucas), with Trevor going from Marquette to Miami-Dade.

It's also hard to be an impact transfer when you're suspended and facing possible jail time.[/QUOTE]

Ouch!!

It's also hard to be an impact transfer when you're suspended and facing possible jail time.[/QUOTE]

Was I inaccurate? Please enlighten if I was?

To clarify, Mbakwe's situation has been out there since this summer before mostof these publications went to press. The pundits saw that TB was suspended and his status for the upcoming season was in question, so they aren't going to pimp him as a big time impact player.

There...is that better? Did I sugar coat enough?

USA Today's special predicted that we'd finish fourth in the conference, but said some questionable things.

They said that depth was going to be a big problem for us this year because there's a huge talent drop off after the starters. They also said that Nolen has developed nicely as a PG. They mentioned a handful of top B10 recruiting classes, and ours wasn't on the list. We didn't even get an honorable mention.

USA Today's special predicted that we'd finish fourth in the conference, but said some questionable things.

They said that depth was going to be a big problem for us this year because there's a huge talent drop off after the starters. They also said that Nolen has developed nicely as a PG. They mentioned a handful of top B10 recruiting classes, and ours wasn't on the list. We didn't even get an honorable mention.

To bad that isn't the prevailing opinion of apposing players and coaches. We could surprise people. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

What? How can there be a drop in talent from the starters when we don't have a starting line-up in place?! That whole analysis by USA Today was ridiculous!!!

Art, to quote the greatest movie of all time..."you're not wrong, Walter you're just an a$$hole." Your facts are may technically be correct, but why bring them up? At this point I think everyone would be more shocked if Trevor was suspended than if he wasn't. It takes no grain of truth to accuse someone of a crime.

How sad life must be for Art...I don't hate him...just feel bad for the world he lives in and could care less for what his opinions are. A complete waste of space in the world we know as cyber...

It's also hard to be an impact transfer when you're suspended and facing possible jail time.

art - have you ever thought a non smart-ass comment in your entire life? guys like you are just a "joy" to be around. tell your one friend (likely a huge smart-ass as well) that we all say hello! :rolleyes:

Being a smartass all the time is alright, but the problem with Art is that he takes the same side of every argument....which never has a positive spin towards the gopher's players. He might very well be a 'Gopher Fan' but he is not a fan of most of the individuals on the team. He wants a bunch of Mitch Ohnstad's (I can't spell his name, because he doesn't matter) and nobody with any struggles or upbringings that don't match his own. He is a sad old man whose time in this country has past...

Let them rank us 6th, 7th, whatever. It gives the players a little extra motivation, and a chip on their shoulder. With such a young team, do they really need the hype of being a top-15 team?

My 2 cents.

"With such a young team. ..."

Let's not start using that excuse already.

Bostick (sr)
Johnson (5th year-sr)
Westbrook (sr)
Carter (4th year-jr)
Hoffarber (jr)
Mbakwe (jr) -- played at Marquette & juco
Nolen (jr)

Plus 3 sophomores (Iverson, Joseph & Sampson) who got a lot of burn last year. It's not like they rode the bench.

I count 10 guys with significant D-I playing experience (Mbakwe has played in the NCAA Tournament).

3 freshmen (truly young)

Yes, they have some young guys, but this is an experienced Gophers team. They should be able to handle getting a little love from the national media/polls, and I wouldn't expect to hear any of the "we're young" stuff at the first sign of adversity.

Top Bottom