Name a Gopher you thought would be really good, but wasnt

Ugh all those times which many included Sid's comments about how we hard it was to get recruits admitted.

Always wondered how accurate that was it if that was just part of Sid's schtick.

Well, Roberson wanted to come here but couldn't pass the ACT. He ended up playing for Tark at Fresno. His ACT made a miraculous jump after Tark got involved. So in that case it was a player who was not getting into any college other than one with an outlaw basketball program. But yeah, I could never tell how much Sid (and others) are exaggerating.

Joey King, watched him at Eastview quite a bit and thought he could do more in NCAA. Looks like Omersa is on the same trajectory

The first name that pops to mind is Ernest Nzigamasabo. I blame Sid-the way he wrote about him in his column (dribbling behind his back and popping 3's) had me picturing a wing version of Akeem.

Jayson Walton also comes to mind, although a quick review of his stats tells that he was a solid player for the Gophers. However, I recall the recruiting stories for this kid from Dallas and thought we had a future pro arriving to campus. If memory serves, knee problems waylaid his full potential.

The combination of Kyle Sanden and Kevin Loge, the recruiting class coming out of the Final 4 year, was a big flat tire.

And finally, I will never get hyped for another national recruit guard with the last name of Washington-Wesley and Isiah were both heart-breaking, in different ways.

Probably sacrilegious but I always thought Ariel McDonald was going to be better than he was. He was a good player, maybe it was watching him red shirt for a year and hearing hype about him the whole time.

This doesn't apply to the "wasn't good" Gopher players, but more to the "what could have been?" I'm thinking about Courtney James. I know he was vital the Final Four year for his rebounding and blocks, but he was only a sophomore. Left the team before his junior year because he was facing a year long suspension (we all know why).

I was convinced James was going to turn into an All-Big Ten guy his junior and senior years.

Walter Bond. I thought he would become a stud. Mediocre.

The first name that pops to mind is Ernest Nzigamasabo. I blame Sid-the way he wrote about him in his column (dribbling behind his back and popping 3's) had me picturing a wing version of Akeem.

Jayson Walton also comes to mind, although a quick review of his stats tells that he was a solid player for the Gophers. However, I recall the recruiting stories for this kid from Dallas and thought we had a future pro arriving to campus. If memory serves, knee problems waylaid his full potential.

The combination of Kyle Sanden and Kevin Loge, the recruiting class coming out of the Final 4 year, was a big flat tire.

And finally, I will never get hyped for another national recruit guard with the last name of Washington-Wesley and Isiah were both heart-breaking, in different ways.
I really liked Walton a lot. Great athlete and pretty good shooter. He was never the same after he blew out his knee.

Josh Martin

two almost gophers - Doug Wrenn and Wesley Washington

Last edited:

Walter Bond. I thought he would become a stud. Mediocre.

Walter had a decent career in the NBA. Just shy of making the ten year pension threshold. That's pretty good. Solid player for us, but not a superstar.

Walter had a decent career in the NBA. Just shy of making the ten year pension threshold. That's pretty good. Solid player for us, but not a superstar.
When I say a stud, I meant I thought he would go on to average over 18 ppg. Not a shade over 10 ppg. He was ok, I understand he had injuries but for myself that still counts.

Michael Bauer. I remember there being a ton of hype around him. Wasn't he a top 50 or so recruit? Had a decent career but never truly lived up to all the potential. Of course, I was 8-10 years old when he was a Gopher...

Probably sacrilegious but I always thought Ariel McDonald was going to be better than he was. He was a good player, maybe it was watching him red shirt for a year and hearing hype about him the whole time.
held the Gophers assist in a season record until this year. If more of the guys mentioned above had careers like Ariel's we wouldn't need this thread.
he spoke to the Golden Dunkers this year- impressive man

My all-timer has got to be Devron Bostick- he came in as JUCO player of the year- killed it that summer in the Pulley Pro-Am at the Sal and then could never get out of Tubby's doghouse.
I liked the mention of it being Tubby- but I read too many articles from the Kentucky people before he got here to buy into the hype.

Top Bottom