Myron blogs about various myth's of Gophs hoops team; other tid-bits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I talked to some people close to Gophers basketball Friday. Here’s what I learned:

Myth No. 1: Super dunker and freshman forward Rodney Williams has the highest vertical leap on Minnesota’s squad.

False. While Williams recently soared to a 40-inch vertical in front of team trainers, junior college transfer Trevor Mbakwe topped him with a 42-inch leap, the best mark on the squad.

Myth No. 2: The Gophers will definitely start Ralph Sampson III or Colton Iverson next season.

Maybe. Iverson and Sampson will still play key roles in next season’s rotation. But this lineup has been considered by Gophers coaches and could give Minnesota the kind of dominate athleticism they’ve sought in recent years, according to multiple sources close to the team: G Al Nolen, G Lawrence Westbrook, F Damian Johnson, F Royce White and F Trevor Mbakwe.

Myth No. 3: Royce White will battle Trevor Mbakwe for the starting power forward spot.

Not necessarily. White, a freshman forward and last year’s Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota, is the strongest player on the team. And at 6-8, 245 or so, he’s probably the biggest, too. All signs point to him playing a lot at the four-spot.

But he’s managed to wow coaches with his versatility over the summer. And right now, I’m hearing that White might end up battling Damian Johnson for the small forward spot because of what he can offer defensively. He’s viewed as a guy who can guard opponents on the perimeter and help out in the paint because of his strength. Paul Carter will also be in that mix.

-St. Paul Johnson’s Estan Tyler has created a lot of hype for himself this summer with a number of standout performances for former Timberwolves guard Chris Carr’s 43 Hoops 16U squad. One Gophers coach says he’s the top player in the state. The 6-0 junior guard averaged 10.6 points per game for Johnson last season. He told rivals.com that Northern Iowa, Iowa, Iowa State, Wichita State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame are all interested in his services.

-The Gophers are still looking for legitimate dancing partners in the 2010/2011 classes. They’re on a number of top 10 lists.

Alex Kirk, a 6-11, 230-pound center from New Mexico, has about a dozen or more offers on the table. He had a strong performance at the Sabes Invitational in May at Bloomington Jefferson. And he continued to shine throughout the summer. Gophers coaches followed him closely and really like the fluid big man’s ability. Kirk has family in the state and told Rivals.com that he’s still considering the Gophers.

“We have heard from the Gophers since we came back from Orlando and they were watching Alex’s games down in Orlando,” Kirk’s father, Alan, told the website. “I know Alex appreciated that and I think Minnesota is still in Alex’s thoughts.”

Kansas prep point guard Trevor Relerford, a two-star player on rivals.com, also said recently that Minnesota is one of his finalists. He has seven scholarship offers from DI programs. He’s a Gold in the Barn finalist, too. I love the way this kid plays. He’s quick, aggressive at the rim and doesn’t back down from anyone, even though he’s 5-11.

-The NCAA’s Division I Board of Directors is considering a recommendation that would make schools more responsible for assessing the academic aptitude of basketball recruits during the summer and placing them in summer school classes when necessary.

-Gophers fans I talk to sometimes suggest that Tubby Smith is probably too old to make another major coaching move. Some seem to think that schools favor the young, up-and-comers over veterans like Smith. What they fail to realize is that in a one-and-done recruiting climate, name recognition is a wonderful quality for any coach and it often supersedes age.

Former Detroit Pistons great Isaiah Thomas has somehow lured the No. 23 player in the class of 2010, according to rivals.com, to Florida International, where Thomas became head coach in April. Dominique Ferguson, a 6-8 power forward who will play for Hargrave Military Academy this season, took an unofficial visit to FIU Thursday. By Friday, he’d committed to Thomas and the Golden Panthers. Kentucky, Arizona, Florida, Duke, Connecticut, Tennessee and Alabama were all interested in Ferguson. But a lackluster summer hurt his stock.

I know what you’re thinking. Maybe, this guy isn’t that good, especially if those schools backed off. ESPN ranks him as the No. 8 player in the country. And it’s clear that top programs wanted him. Plus, he had other options. But he committed to a team that plays in the Sun Belt Conference. A team that’s won 34 games over the last three seasons.

Every FIU recruit says the same thing: “I’m here because of Thomas.” Don’t underestimate the power and draw of name recognition in college basketball.

-Nothing new on the Harrison Barnes front. He still has Minnesota on his list of finalists. This is what it comes down to for Barnes. He’s a very smart kid. He’s also a very good basketball player with legit NBA potential.

If his goal is to get the most exposure, then a school like Minnesota will have trouble competing against North Carolina, Duke and Kansas for his services. If he wants an opportunity to shine for a few years and then, make the leap to the NBA, then Minnesota certainly presents that opportunity.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

Pretty interesting stuff from Myron. That potential starting lineup sounds pretty intriguing, especially along the front line. One figures that Iverson and Sampson will see considerable time regardless if they start or not.

The potential to reel Kirk into the fold seems to be fairly good after reading these comments. I didn't realize he had family in the state.

Maybe. Iverson and Sampson will still play key roles in next season’s rotation. But this lineup has been considered by Gophers coaches and could give Minnesota the kind of dominate athleticism they’ve sought in recent years, according to multiple sources close to the team: G Al Nolen, G Lawrence Westbrook, F Damian Johnson, F Royce White and F Trevor Mbakwe.

Is Tubby not that high on Sampson and Iverson? I was expecting Sampson/Iverson to take big strides on the offensive end. If their improvement conforms to my expectations, you're giving away a lot of height and scoring to achieve that "dominate athleticism", which kind of seems like a pointless trade-off.

Not necessarily. White, a freshman forward and last year’s Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota, is the strongest player on the team. And at 6-8, 245 or so, he’s probably the biggest, too. All signs point to him playing a lot at the four-spot.

But he’s managed to wow coaches with his versatility over the summer. And right now, I’m hearing that White might end up battling Damian Johnson for the small forward spot because of what he can offer defensively. He’s viewed as a guy who can guard opponents on the perimeter and help out in the paint because of his strength. Paul Carter will also be in that mix.

This I like hearing. I hated watching the the team get waxed on the boards by MSU and Texas. A healthy dose of White and Carter at SF could significantly close the rebounding gap between us and teams like that. Of course, Mbakwe being found guilty would screw that all up.

Is Tubby not that high on Sampson and Iverson? I was expecting Sampson/Iverson to take big strides on the offensive end. If their improvement conforms to my expectations, you're giving away a lot of height and scoring to achieve that "dominate athleticism", which kind of seems like a pointless trade-off.

This I like hearing. I hated watching the the team get waxed on the boards by MSU and Texas. A healthy dose of White and Carter at SF could significantly close the rebounding gap between us and teams like that. Of course, Mbakwe being found guilty would screw that all up.

Gophers should be MUCH stronger at F and C with White, Mbakwe, Johnson, Carter (improved and healthy), Sampson, and Iverson.

It''s not how tall a players is, but how tall does he play. With Royce and Trevor having vertical leaps >40 inches, they play "bigger" than Ralph and Colt. R&T will also be quicker to the "spot". No doubt Colt and Ralph get playing time; it's all about the match-ups.

I like the possibility of the small line-up. We will be more versatile with it. But, I doubt it will be THE line-up into the BT season. That is, unless we can't do much offensively from the perimeter. Ultimately, I hope for a big line-up with Rodney and Royce at the 2 and 3 respectively in a couple of years. Is it daydreaming?

It sounds like White and Mbwake would provide more muscle inside than Sampson and Iverson. They would give up some height and there are certain teams that matchups problems would result but it provides greater flexibility than they had last year.

I would like to see that lineup at times, but I can't imagine it being the starting lineup. I think we'll see those players get the majority of the minutes if Sampson and Iverson either don't improve a lot this year or if they aren't matching up well in a game. Either way though, I think Sampson will start most of the games. I'd also like to see that lineup if we're pressing.

I don't really trust a lot of what Myron says in this article. For one, Royce will be challenging DJ for minutes at the 3 because of what he can do defensively? That would make some sense if it were for what he can do offensively, but I don't think a freshman will be taking minutes from a sr captain for defensive reasons when the sr was all bt defensive team. Unless DJ gets injured or Royce has an all BT type season, I highly doubt Royce will be playing more than him.

It's also hard to imagine Trevor has a higher vertical than Rodney, but I can't judge since I haven't seen Trevor play and it's believable because it's only a 2 inch difference. That's just crazy considering Trevor's size and how ridiculously high I've seen Rodney jump. Also, Relerford is not a 2 star on rivals like Myron said. It also seems like he doesn't know too much about Barnes or his recruitment either. Legit NBA potential? That's a little bit of an understatement. Then he says if his goal is to get the most exposure, we'll have trouble getting him. I don't think exposure will be a problem either way, especially if he means exposure for the NBA, and that's only one reason. How about all the other reasons why MN has a strong chance of getting him? What about the things that we have to offer that those other schools don't? It's not just about being the biggest bball school, especially not for a kid like Barnes, assuming he's been sincere about what he's said.

On Trevor vs. Rodney vertical

I could be completely off here, but it seems to me a vertical jump test would just be standing and jumping as high as you can. I think Rodney still gets considerably higher when he has a running start off of one foot, then he can fly. It seems to me that trevor would have the more explosive jump off of two feet, its just different styles.

That said those numbers are both rediculous verticals and i could be wrong here but I think jumping style may have had more to do with it.

I could see White challenging DJ for the starting 3 spot if the team continues to have offensive troubles and White can put the ball in the hole. For as good of all-around player DJ is, he is not a scorer, particularly against Big 10 style competition. After all, the game is still about putting the ball in the hole.

I could be completely off here, but it seems to me a vertical jump test would just be standing and jumping as high as you can. I think Rodney still gets considerably higher when he has a running start off of one foot, then he can fly. It seems to me that trevor would have the more explosive jump off of two feet, its just different styles.

That said those numbers are both rediculous verticals and i could be wrong here but I think jumping style may have had more to do with it.

Typically it's one step and then jump. I suppose it could be standing still and jumping but not usually.

I would like to see that lineup at times, but I can't imagine it being the starting lineup. I think we'll see those players get the majority of the minutes if Sampson and Iverson either don't improve a lot this year or if they aren't matching up well in a game. Either way though, I think Sampson will start most of the games. I'd also like to see that lineup if we're pressing.

I don't really trust a lot of what Myron says in this article. For one, Royce will be challenging DJ for minutes at the 3 because of what he can do defensively? That would make some sense if it were for what he can do offensively, but I don't think a freshman will be taking minutes from a sr captain for defensive reasons when the sr was all bt defensive team. Unless DJ gets injured or Royce has an all BT type season, I highly doubt Royce will be playing more than him.

It's also hard to imagine Trevor has a higher vertical than Rodney, but I can't judge since I haven't seen Trevor play and it's believable because it's only a 2 inch difference. That's just crazy considering Trevor's size and how ridiculously high I've seen Rodney jump. Also, Relerford is not a 2 star on rivals like Myron said. It also seems like he doesn't know too much about Barnes or his recruitment either. Legit NBA potential? That's a little bit of an understatement. Then he says if his goal is to get the most exposure, we'll have trouble getting him. I don't think exposure will be a problem either way, especially if he means exposure for the NBA, and that's only one reason. How about all the other reasons why MN has a strong chance of getting him? What about the things that we have to offer that those other schools don't? It's not just about being the biggest bball school, especially not for a kid like Barnes, assuming he's been sincere about what he's said.

Myron should just go by the name Moron. He has to be the must uninformed reporter on the planet. Even semi-retarded individuals can easily go to the Rivals site and see that Releford is a 3* on Rivals and is in fact ranked 150 overall in the Rivals 150, which is a notable accolade.

I like the lineup Myron mentioned, but I like it more as a closing lineup than a starting lineup. Having Sampson or Iverson on the court to start the game can prevent some easy buckets inside and keep guys from getting off to hot starts. Even if Trevor or Royce can get up higher than Ralph and Colton, shooting over a 7 footer is not an easy task. I am sure their will be teams where the matchups just dictate that Ralph and/or Colton should not be on the floor to start the game, but I think most of the time one of them will be. Tubby seemed to give Ralph one of the longest leashes on the team last year, so I would expect to see him continue to get significant playing time.

No matter who starts, its really fun to see a team that ,at least on paper, looks to be really deep.

Myron should just go by the name Moron. He has to be the must uninformed reporter on the planet. Even semi-retarded individuals can easily go to the Rivals site and see that Releford is a 3* on Rivals and is in fact ranked 150 overall in the Rivals 150, which is a notable accolade.

Actually Releford IS a 2 star on Rivals. As a football recruit. He has 2 profiles as most multi sport recruits do. If you accidentally do a football search his page lists him as a 2 star player so the mistake is understandable.

Sorry, if this were Journalism 1001, then yes, the mistake would be understandable. However, he writes for a newspaper in a major metropolitan area - how can you make mistakes like that? Plus, he states how much he likes Releford's game. Wouldn't you think that he'd be surprised that he's only a two star recruit?

Actually Releford IS a 2 star on Rivals. As a football recruit. He has 2 profiles as most multi sport recruits do. If you accidentally do a football search his page lists him as a 2 star player so the mistake is understandable.

Are you serious? This type of mistake is absolutely inexcusable! When you are a beat writer, the most important part of your work is correctly reporting on the facts. And when you can't even get the facts correct, you are a worthless excuse for a writer. Secondly, how can you accidentally do a football search? You have to be completely brain dead to ACCIDENTALLY click the "Football Recruits" button instead of the "Basketball Recruits" button. Even if you were dumb enough to click the wrong button, wouldn't the picture of Adrian Peterson on the Football page tip you off. Quit defending Myron. He is by far the worst Gopher beat writer ever.

Myth No. 1: Super dunker and freshman forward Rodney Williams has the highest vertical leap on Minnesota’s squad.

False. While Williams recently soared to a 40-inch vertical in front of team trainers, junior college transfer Trevor Mbakwe topped him with a 42-inch leap, the best mark on the squad.

Those vertical jumps are pretty good.
According to DraftExpress.com, only one guy in the 2009 NBA pre draft camp was measured at 40 inches, Jonny Flynn.

There have been ten players measured at 42 or better at the camp since 1997:
Kenny Gregory (45.5)
Tim Bowers (43.5)
Nate Robinson (43.5)
Vince Carter (43),
Jamario Moon (43)
Matt Santengelo (43)
Speedy Claxton (42.5)
Alex Scales (42.5)
Jordan Farmar (42)
Patrick Ewing (son of the HOFer - 42).

Only one on that list would be considered an all-Star (Vince Carter) which goes to show that being able to dunk fancy doesn't necessarily make you a great basketball player.

Mbakwe could be the tallest guy on that list if his official height is near correct.

Top Bottom