Myron=Al Bundy?

akgopher

Reaction score
Here's a quote from today's blog:
"I'm a former athlete. Played at the collegiate level. I understand the demands and responsibility that come with an athletic scholarship. There were certain things I couldn't do. Places I couldn't go."

A few weeks ago he found it appropriate to reference that not only was he a former athlete, but a two sport collegiate athlete. Myron needs to sharpen-up his reporting skills and get over his glory days at Mankato State or Polk High. Does anyone care about Mankato State sports (other than hockey), including the student body? Not even close to a real reference point to major division one sports. I wonder what Jeff Shelman thinks of the present state of Gopher Hoops reporting at the Star Tribune?

"I'm a former athlete. Played at the collegiate level. I understand the demands and responsibility that come with an athletic scholarship. There were certain things I couldn't do. Places I couldn't go."

A few weeks ago he found it appropriate to reference that not only was he a former athlete, but a two sport collegiate athlete. Myron needs to sharpen-up his reporting skills and get over his glory days at Mankato State or Polk High. Does anyone care about Mankato State sports (other than hockey), including the student body? Not even close to a real reference point to major division one sports. I wonder what Jeff Shelman thinks of the present state of Gopher Hoops reporting at the Star Tribune?

It amazes me how some bash lower division college sports. I'm pretty sure people, including the students, care about the football team, basketball teams, most other sports. They had almost 5,000 fans at a game earlier this year. Just because it's not at the highest level doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Although it may be to a lesser degree, athletes at any level have a target on their back. When an athlete gets in trouble or gets arrested, generally it is made a bigger deal than if it was a non-student athlete, no matter what level it is. If a Minnesota State football player gets caught stealing at the local mall, the local newspaper would probably make a bigger deal out of it than if he wasn't a football player.

Like I said, it's probably not at the same level as D-I sports, but all athletes usually have to be a little more careful than a non-athlete. There are a lot of people (students, faculty, people in the community) that don't like "jocks" so you have to be a little more careful.

Personally, I loved the quote in his "keys to the game" tonight about the gophers needing to pace themselves!! He couldn't be serious could he? And then right before that or after that (cant remember), he said in order to avoid being upset tonight, they need to take smart shots.... Unbelievable!

Uh this isn't even close....Al Bundy scored four touchdowns "in a single game" while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds. Let's see Myron do that!!!

Minnesota State (it hasn't been called Mankato State in years) cares dearly about its athletic programs. The basketball team boasts a $10 million arena that rivals any at the mid-Division I level. The Mavericks are one of the top Division II basketball programs in the upper Midwest and are constantly in the top 25 nationally. Several of MSU's basketball players over the years have transferred from the Division I level because they know Minnesota State has a great sports culture in a town that loves their hoops. In fact, the women's team won the D-II national championship last season. I did not graduate from MSU, but grew up in a town (Winona) with another "high profile" Division II basketball program. Those guys are basically celebrities around town. People chant their names when they go into the bars, and their every move is documented in the local paper. So, to say that no one besides the student body cares about the athletic programs in Mankato is false. That may be true at the Junior College level, but not at D-II. Most Division II coaches are paid in excess of $70,000 a year to recruit and win games. It's a full-time job.

Minnesota State (it hasn't been called Mankato State in years) cares dearly about its athletic programs. The basketball team boasts a $10 million arena that rivals any at the mid-Division I level. The Mavericks are one of the top Division II basketball programs in the upper Midwest and are constantly in the top 25 nationally. Several of MSU's basketball players over the years have transferred from the Division I level because they know Minnesota State has a great sports culture in a town that loves their hoops. In fact, the women's team won the D-II national championship last season. I did not graduate from MSU, but grew up in a town (Winona) with another "high profile" Division II basketball program. Those guys are basically celebrities around town. People chant their names when they go into the bars, and their every move is documented in the local paper. So, to say that no one besides the student body cares about the athletic programs in Mankato is false. That may be true at the Junior College level, but not at D-II. Most Division II coaches are paid in excess of $70,000 a year to recruit and win games. It's a full-time job.

What does this say about the culture, or lack of, at those institutions? I will remember this when in the distant future my kids are looking into colleges.

What does this say about the culture, or lack of, at those institutions? I will remember this when in the distant future my kids are looking into colleges.

I think after returning home from winning their second national championship in three years, they deserve to have their names chanted...everywhere. I guess I shouldn't even have to say this, but obviously this doesn't happens every time they step into a bar. I hope I cleared that up for you.
What do you have against Winona State?

What do you have against Winona State?

Nothing. I actually like their story. But your description sounds hokey and full of simpletons.

Top Bottom