My letter to A.J. Barker...

Paragraph 6 is one of the least intelligent things I've read in a long time.

While I disagree with your religious views, I support your right to them. But, we live in a society that seems to benefit from the belief in God, and certainly individual freedom doesn’t mean the majority needs to admire your beliefs, or rather lack thereof. If my teammate scores touchdowns and helps us win, I still can and will be sickened if he’s molesting children. And, in the end I’d rather lose with good people in the unified fight with me, than win with criminals

I am not sure what to even make of Paragraph 6, this is a very strange paragraph.

Having said that, I think that AJ Barker has some lower tier mental health issues and an obvious sense of entitlement that makes him a very unsympathetic character in this mess he created.

The program is better off with AJ Barker gone forever, regardless of any talent he possesses and intelligence (despite his actions) he probably has.

One point AJ may have in his favor is the problem the undue influence of Born Again Chistian bible thumpers have in secular institutions. Minnesota is not Alabama, Texas, or Kansas for that matter. This might be a bit of a wake up call for the JK staff on that front.

. It is implied that Jerry Kill and his long standing staff of coaches are hard core bible thumpers and may have in a not so subtle way pushed their god fearing agenda at the public U of M.

AJ, as an Agnostic or Atheist, rightfully had an issue with these Jerry Falwell style leanings, if indeed Jerry Kill or his staff was promoting or favoring fellow bible thumpers. If they went to the level of demonzing non belivers, or others (Papists Ha ha ha), they do have problem. That country crap might play in Fort Hays or Carbondale, but not in uber liberal Minnesota.

I have met Coach Kill and not only consider him a good friend, but also one of the greatest men I've ever met. I can attest to his integrity, sincerity, honesty, loyalty and watching his day-to-day actions, consider him to be a great leader. I don't see him "saving face," rather being forthright. He made a mistake with his outburst? Have you ever been to a football practice? I couldn't disagree more with your claim he made mistakes in dealing with this selfish egomaniac. Everyone can criticize leaders for their styles, decisions or priorities, and plenty of folks on this and other forums, seem to be great second-guessers and know-it-alls. Let Coach Kill lead and the results will be success. Unless you've led a football program perfectly, won all your games and kept everyone on the team completely happy, perhaps you should evaluate your credibility as a critic.

It seems all of Barker's claims are in question, based on his selfish, egotistical motives. Unless you've been around the program daily and personally witnessed Coach Kill and his staff "Bible thumping," "demonizing non believers," or "pushing" their beliefs, perhaps you should reserve judgment.

I've been around Kill's programs and never seen him "push," rather incorporate his Christian beliefs into the routine. Since polls suggest more than 80 percent of Americans claim to be Christians, it seems a Bible-based philosophy would be supported by a large majority of the team. Certainly atheists are entitled to their views and opinions, but I often wonder about their rationale for those choices. If God doesn't exist, and I live my life as a Christian, when I die nothing will happen. But, if I choose to believe God doesn't exist, and discover when I die that He does, the ramifications are eternal. I can't prove God exists, but believe He does and think my choice is far safer.

I've been around Kill's programs and never seen him "push," rather incorporate his Christian beliefs into the routine. Since polls suggest more than 80 percent of Americans claim to be Christians, it seems a Bible-based philosophy would be supported by a large majority of the team.

This is just what every team needs - a division between true believers and those who are there just to play football and nothing more. If this is the way Kill coaches his team it is just one more reason not to like him. The list is getting longer.

It seems all of Barker's claims are in question, based on his selfish, egotistical motives. Unless you've been around the program daily and personally witnessed Coach Kill and his staff "Bible thumping," "demonizing non believers," or "pushing" their beliefs, perhaps you should reserve judgment.

I've been around Kill's programs and never seen him "push," rather incorporate his Christian beliefs into the routine. Since polls suggest more than 80 percent of Americans claim to be Christians, it seems a Bible-based philosophy would be supported by a large majority of the team. Certainly atheists are entitled to their views and opinions, but I often wonder about their rationale for those choices. If God doesn't exist, and I live my life as a Christian, when I die nothing will happen. But, if I choose to believe God doesn't exist, and discover when I die that He does, the ramifications are eternal. I can't prove God exists, but believe He does and think my choice is far safer.

There are so many things I would love to say about the section in bold but I am going to hold my tongue because this is a football message board.

From a football standpoint it is on the coaching staff to make EVERYONE on the team feel included not just those that share the same religious beliefs as the coaches. I don't know that this is or is not a problem with the U of M staff but unless your school has a direct religious affiliation you have to be open to everyone.

I've been around Kill's programs and never seen him "push," rather incorporate his Christian beliefs into the routine. Since polls suggest more than 80 percent of Americans claim to be Christians, it seems a Bible-based philosophy would be supported by a large majority of the team. Certainly (citizens) are entitled to their views and opinions, but I often wonder about their rationale for those choices. If God doesn't exist, and I live my life as a Christian, when I die nothing will happen. But, if I choose to believe God doesn't exist, and discover when I die that He does, the ramifications are eternal. I can't prove God exists, but believe He does and think my choice is far safer.

Because of course, this is Egypt. If the Majority agrees with something it should be forced down the throats of everyone else. Since polls suggest more than 80 percent of Americans claim to be Christians, it seems a Bible-based philosophy would be supported by a large majority of the team. If you're Pro Life and want to see birth control rather than abortion sorry, the Church not only doesn't want to offer it in the same manner they do erection pills, they want it banned period. If the Church decides that Priests shouldn't be punished for their deeds and should be moved to other Parishes to continue spreading the Gospel and molesting boys, people who don't like it are entitled to their views and opinions, but (you can) often wonder about their rationale for those choices.

The Non-Christians be they Atheists, Mormons, Jews, Moslems, Agnostics or even just plain old Protestants can march on down and start fighting in the streets and burning offices of the Church.

Wait it minute sorry got a little confused; we're NOT in Egypt! Well, the U of M must be a Pre-Vatican II then. No, that's right it's NOT. The University of Minnesota is still a PUBLIC school! Wow, it appears some of the Radicals don't KNOW that!

Oh, and ALL the posts about these things belong on the Off-Topic Board don't they?

I think Barker's biggest mistake was not having a "cooling off period" before writing his open letter. Whenever you are too emotional about a subject, take 48 hours and let things simmer down a bit before going all ballistic. If, after that time, he would have simply stated, "I have had disagreements with my coaches and trainers and have decided to move on where I may be a better fit. I wish all my former teammates well" THAT would have been taking the high road and I don't think anyone would have wished him ill-will or thought the worse of him. As it is, that is far from the case.

Sorry, MNVCGUY, but as much as those with liberal viewpoints seem to think there is room for everyone, our society dictates that some behavior won't be tolerated, which leads me back to my original post and the paragraph which seems to have confused some. Winning is the ultimate goal, but not at ALL costs. Murderers and thieves just aren't accepted, even if they believe those actions are ok. You can have beliefs and opinions, as long as your actions don't manifest in socially unacceptable ways. I doubt Coach Kill and his staff attack atheists -- that's just not how Christianity works. Perhaps Barker's views were challenged by Coach Kill because Barker was openly critical of Christian beliefs. Barker clearly wanted the program run HIS way, which isn't going to happen under Coach Kill. So his departure is good for both sides. Players from the previous regime didn't choose UM knowing there would be a change in leadership and philosophy and if they don't want to be part of it should leave. I'm confident those recruited by Coach Kill and his staff enter the program knowing about his religious views and practices.

I think Barker's biggest mistake was not having a "cooling off period" before writing his open letter. Whenever you are too emotional about a subject, take 48 hours and let things simmer down a bit before going all ballistic. If, after that time, he would have simply stated, "I have had disagreements with my coaches and trainers and have decided to move on where I may be a better fit. I wish all my former teammates well" THAT would have been taking the high road and I don't think anyone would have wished him ill-will or thought the worse of him. As it is, that is far from the case.

Agree with that. Would only add that if he hadn't went on his "Media Tour" the reaction would have been nearly muted. Taken it one step further, if he just would have offered a "mea culpa" for the length and breadth of it, then he would have generated sympathy for himself. He did neither.

Sorry, MNVCGUY, but as much as those with liberal viewpoints seem to think there is room for everyone, our society dictates that some behavior won't be tolerated, which leads me back to my original post and the paragraph which seems to have confused some. Winning is the ultimate goal, but not at ALL costs. Murderers and thieves just aren't accepted, even if they believe those actions are ok. You can have beliefs and opinions, as long as your actions don't manifest in socially unacceptable ways. I doubt Coach Kill and his staff attack atheists -- that's just not how Christianity works. Perhaps Barker's views were challenged by Coach Kill because Barker was openly critical of Christian beliefs. Barker clearly wanted the program run HIS way, which isn't going to happen under Coach Kill. So his departure is good for both sides. Players from the previous regime didn't choose UM knowing there would be a change in leadership and philosophy and if they don't want to be part of it should leave. I'm confident those recruited by Coach Kill and his staff enter the program knowing about his religious views and practices.

Oh NOW I get it. Satire and trolling! Hilarious! Sorry, missed that before. My bad.

Boy, this is embarrassing..:(

Still belongs on the Off Topic Board though.

I made a big mistake when I was a kid, but my mom's good friend still thought I was a $hithead.

Better re-check you Cool Person test score. It said you were a dickhead.:)

KEEP RELIGION OUT OF SPORTS.

STOP BELIEVING WHAT YOU BELIEVE WHEN YOU PLAY FOR MY PUBLIC SCHOOL OR ELSE!?>!??!?!?!/1/1one!11!1

God(s), shut up people.

GameDay just did a feature on OSU and Urban Meyer was yelling at his team at how they are "average" after a bad practice during fall camp.

How dare he!!

As I've stated, I'm certain Coach Kill isn't "forcing" his beliefs on others, and since UM is a public institution he is entitled to his beliefs. I think some posters on this thread are confused about rights. "Public" doesn't mean only the rights of those who don't believe in God -- the minority -- have the right to express their views. Coach Kill has the right to his views, also.

This is just what every team needs - a division between true believers and those who are there just to play football and nothing more. If this is the way Kill coaches his team it is just one more reason not to like him. The list is getting longer.

We get it! You don't like Kill but why would you take the word of a very immature and selfish kid with a clear agenda. He didn't get his way and now you want to use what he said to build your case against Kill. It makes you look bad also.

GameDay just did a feature on OSU and Urban Meyer was yelling at his team at how they are "average" after a bad practice during fall camp.

How dare he!!

Pitts, your post would make sense and have relevance if what Urban Meyer did was anything like what Barker wrote about Jerry. Since Meyer did something totally different than Kill your post is complete nonsense and has absolutely no relevance. But nice try though.

Pitts, your post would make sense and have relevance if what Urban Meyer did was anything like what Barker wrote about Jerry. Since Meyer did something totally different than Kill your post is complete nonsense and has absolutely no relevance. But nice try though.

There’s nothing special about me?

I’m a dime a dozen?

You had 5 of me at Northern Illinois?

http://ajbarker82.tumblr.com/

It's obvious he wanted to feel special. It is very relevant. AJ Barker was referred to as average. I know you will try to prove you are right and will call me "Pitts" in an effort to belittle me. You are wrong. But nice try though.

We get it! You don't like Kill but why would you take the word of a very immature and selfish kid with a clear agenda. He didn't get his way and now you want to use what he said to build your case against Kill. It makes you look bad also.

I started not liking Kill last season before I ever heard of Barker. So I have that going for me. Barker may be selfish and immature but those are attributes he has in common with many people his age. I don't see that as a good enough reason to believe everything Kill said and believe nothing that Barker said. If Kill had done to me what Barker says he did to him I probably would have cold-cocked the MF. It is ok to get in a players face when they make a mistake on the football field. But it is totally out of bounds to publicly berate and humiliate a player in front of his teammates for off-field behavior. If Kill did it that makes him a first class asshole and another one of those phony Christians we see way too much of these days. You know the kind I am talking about. They talk the talk - but don't walk the walk. There are more than a few of those in GopherHole.

I started not liking Kill last season before I ever heard of Barker. So I have that going for me. Barker may be selfish and immature but those are attributes he has in common with many people his age. I don't see that as a good enough reason to believe everything Kill said and believe nothing that Barker said. If Kill had done to me what Barker says he did to him I probably would have cold-cocked the MF. It is ok to get in a players face when they make a mistake on the football field. But it is totally out of bounds to publicly berate and humiliate a player in front of his teammates for off-field behavior. If Kill did it that makes him a first class asshole and another one of those phony Christians we see way too much of these days. You know the kind I am talking about. They talk the talk - but don't walk the walk. There are more than a few of those in GopherHole.

Glad to see that are so righteous and true. I guess Barker isn't the only one with issues.:cool03:

Hmmm. You don't like Coach Kill and I don't like Barker. Seems you're supporting Barker's selfish immaturity because others have those characteristics, which you may even admire if you choose. I think those are undesirable characteristics and wouldn't want them in my teammates, or my players if I was the coach. I believe the incident that led to Barker's public attack on Coach Kill DID HAPPEN ON THE PRACTICE FIELD. Barker's insubordinate, disrespectful behavior on the sidelines did warrant a butt chewing, IMO. It appears, since you would "cold-cock" a coach, that you've never been part of a program, so you probably don't understand that Coach Kill's program includes emphasis on going to class, and behaving like a good citizen. This isn't a pick-up game in a sandlot. There are "phony Christians" but I think Coach Kill is "walking the walk." If you could make up you're mind what you're attacking, it might be easier to debate the issues.

Pascal's Wager on Gopherhole. I never would have guessed it.

1. No you wouldn't have.
2. I'm assuming you never played sports beyond high school. This stuff happens all the time. Some respond positively, some negatively.
3. This being out of bounds is totally your opinion. Sometimes the player just doesn't seem to "get it" and humiliation is the last resort.

Top Bottom