My $0.02 - Illinois Game

stevedave23

Reaction score
-Inconsistant play at the QB & WR positions really hurt the gophers today. You can't over throw wide open receivers OR fail to hang onto the ball when you catch it and expect to win.

-I'd like to criticize the gopher's secondary but the MN defensive coaches were calling heavy blitzes all game, leaving the secondary on an island if the ILL qb's were able to get rid of the ball. The MN coaches must have seen something because they kept calling the blitzes all day.

-Pass protection was spotty this week. Definitely a step down from last week vs. MSU.

-Gopher running game looked decent in the 2nd half but I wonder how much of that is a product of being down three touchdowns with the ILL defense playing a cover 2 zone?

-Great job on the blocked punt by the gophers. It came at a key point in the game when they needed it.

-Personally, I like the passion that the crowd is showing at TCF Bank Stadium. The fans have a better stadium, they've created a better atmosphere and they expect a better team on the field. They expect their team to win against a lesser opponnent at home in November. I don't think that's unreasonable. If that means they boo when they're pissed off then i'm ok with that. I'll take that over the dull, boring, lifeless atmostphere of the metrodome any day.

From what I could tell, the loss was a total team effort. Even though the entire team played bad most of the game, it must say something that they still had a chance to win at the end.

I'm still wondering why we did a play-action pass when it was 2nd and goal inside the 1? Didn't make sense then, and it turned out to be the difference between a tie game and losing by 3.

There was about 4 or 5 plays that could have changed the outcome of the game. It just did not happen.

Illinois increased their total season sack total by nearly 60% today.........ridiculous.

From what I could tell, the loss was a total team effort. Even though the entire team played bad most of the game, it must say something that they still had a chance to win at the end.

But they lost to a horrible team. This isn't little league where "playing hard" and "having a chance in the end" matters. It's the Big 10! They lost to Illinois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still wondering why we did a play-action pass when it was 2nd and goal inside the 1? Didn't make sense then, and it turned out to be the difference between a tie game and losing by 3.

With as bad as our protection has been, it just doesn't make sense. You have to believe that you can make half a yard running on 3 if not 4 plays.

Illinois is not as bad as their record. I'm disappointed in the loss, but it's not like we lost to a crappy team. They have a ton of talent. A couple of bad kicks, a bad punt, an INT for a TD and having first and goal at the one and settling for a FG equals out to a loss.

I agree with the original post, except I find myself wanting to boo, but then think about these being kids that aren't getting paid and stifle myself.

Illinois is not as bad as their record. I'm disappointed in the loss, but it's not like we lost to a crappy team. They have a ton of talent. A couple of bad kicks, a bad punt, an INT for a TD and having first and goal at the one and settling for a FG equals out to a loss.

Agreed...Illinois is not nearly as bad as their record indicates.

We have a sign in the locker room that says pound the rock...2nd and half a yard do what you say you are going to do or take the damn sign down

With as bad as our protection has been, it just doesn't make sense. You have to believe that you can make half a yard running on 3 if not 4 plays.

Especially since the Illini had no answer for Hoese in short yardage later in the game. Even when they hit him at the line of scrimmage he got 3-6 yards every time!

Top Bottom