Murphy vs Coffey last night in G-League

Murphy had 16 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists

Coffey had 13 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists

Go Gophers!!

Murphy had 16 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists

Coffey had 13 points, 2 rebounds and 3 assists

Go Gophers!!

Murphy has been playing really well. He is a high energy guy who can rebound and doesn't make many mistakes. He will either make a lot of money in Europe or could have a chance at getting some run in the NBA.

Murphy has been playing really well. He is a high energy guy who can rebound and doesn't make many mistakes. He will either make a lot of money in Europe or could have a chance at getting some run in the NBA.

If he makes NBA (which looks like he'll get his shot), he'll have proven me wrong

If he makes NBA (which looks like he'll get his shot), he'll have proven me wrong

Yeah, me too.

Jordan is a smart guy and you can tell in watching the G-League games that he has fully realized that his role is different now. He cuts, he rebounds, he is annoying in the PNR, and he really only posts up when he has a smaller guy on him.

For whatever reason, I started watching a lot of G-League games this year (traveling a lot, bored in the airport). Jordan definitely looks the part (IMO).

But yeah, it has surprised me too.

Yeah, me too.

Jordan is a smart guy and you can tell in watching the G-League games that he has fully realized that his role is different now. He cuts, he rebounds, he is annoying in the PNR, and he really only posts up when he has a smaller guy on him.

For whatever reason, I started watching a lot of G-League games this year (traveling a lot, bored in the airport). Jordan definitely looks the part (IMO).

But yeah, it has surprised me too.
Is his jump shot getting better? An average jumper would make him a nice NBA role player.

Great to see that pic of the two guys. Wish we still had them but I am hoping there are many more to come in the NBA and G league in coming years from the Gopher program.
Lately I have been wishing that the NBA and NCAA could run this thing more like baseball and hockey and let the guys sign a deal but play college ball until they are ready. It certainly would make college basketball more fun and I always thought that college buckets is such a great promotional vehicle for the NBA. It used to be that the players were household names by the time that they were drafted and in the NBA.....

Is his jump shot getting better? An average jumper would make him a nice NBA role player.

Great to see that pic of the two guys. Wish we still had them but I am hoping there are many more to come in the NBA and G league in coming years from the Gopher program.
Lately I have been wishing that the NBA and NCAA could run this thing more like baseball and hockey and let the guys sign a deal but play college ball until they are ready. It certainly would make college basketball more fun and I always thought that college buckets is such a great promotional vehicle for the NBA. It used to be that the players were household names by the time that they were drafted and in the NBA.....

It's improved because everyone improves, but it is still his weakness. In the games that I saw, it was really hidden because he is probably the 4th or 5th option. The Iowa Wolves, as far as G-League is concerned, had a lot of talent (Naz Reid, Kelan Martin, Jordan McLaughlin have all been called up). Those guys all spaced the floor really well, so he was sort of a junk yard dog.

So, I wouldn't say the shot has improved a lot, but he has adjusted his game and really plays best as that garbage/high energy type.

It's improved because everyone improves, but it is still his weakness. In the games that I saw, it was really hidden because he is probably the 4th or 5th option. The Iowa Wolves, as far as G-League is concerned, had a lot of talent (Naz Reid, Kelan Martin, Jordan McLaughlin have all been called up). Those guys all spaced the floor really well, so he was sort of a junk yard dog.

So, I wouldn't say the shot has improved a lot, but he has adjusted his game and really plays best as that garbage/high energy type.
I think it's less that the Iowa Wolves are exceptionally talented and moreso that the Timberwolves are a dumpster fire of a team right now.

I think it's less that the Iowa Wolves are exceptionally talented and moreso that the Timberwolves are a dumpster fire of a team right now.

Yeah, a good time would not have a lot of call ups, but Naz Reid and Kelan Martin have been legitimate NBA players. That's not common for the G-League teams.

The T-Wolves are 15-22 and are giving significant minutes to players such as Shabazz Napier, Gorgui Dieng, Keita Bates-Diop, and Naz Reid. Fringe NBA players at best.

Let's not pretend they're a good team.

I don’t really feel like googling or paying through old threads...but what kind of money do we think Murphy makes right now?

awesome that this kid is (hopefully) making some money playing ball

per Shooter:

Ex-Gopher Amir Coffey, playing for $79,568 this season for the LA Clippers’ G League, is averaging 11.5 points after 10 games.

Ex-Gopher Jordan Murphy is averaging 9.7 points and 6.4 rebounds in 29 games for the G League Iowa Wolves, who will host Coffey’s team on Saturday in Des Moines.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom