Most Underpaid Coaches in America (#2. PJ Fleck)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Most Underpaid Coaches​

— Some coaches make too much money, and some too little. Here are the underpaid guys, in my estimation.

1. Dave Doeren, NC State​

— He was just extended until 2027 and makes $5 million a year which isn’t bad but for a guy who’s been there so long and has multiple 9 win seasons he’s underpaid.

2. PJ Fleck, Minnesota​

— Fleck makes around $6 million a year, which isn’t bad, but he’s 32-14 over the last four seasons, and that’s pretty impressive.

3. Chip Kelly, UCLA​

— He’s at $5.6 million a year, but he has UCLA rolling, and the program has turned a corner, so where’s the bigger money?

4. Chris Klieman, Kansas State​

— $4 million a year to win the Big 12 when others are making much more in the same conference? Doesn’t seem right.

5. Dave Clawson, Wake Forest​

— I know Wake isn’t a big program, but having Clawson under $4 million a year is crazy. 53 wins over the last seven seasons isn’t easy to do there.

Go Gophers!!

lol....how crazy is it that we have reached a point with coaching salaries where making 5 Million can be considered underpaid by anyone?

Just unreal how much coaching salaries have exploded in recent years.

I think PJ is about right but do well more then… more pay.

Just my opinion but the most underpaid coaches probably aren't at power 5 schools, they are guys killing it at a smaller school for very little money compared to their power 5 brethren.

Just my opinion but the most underpaid coaches probably aren't at power 5 schools, they are guys killing it at a smaller school for very little money compared to their power 5 brethren.
Yeah P5 hires out of the gate almost always get paid ... plenty.

The market is the market (the game is the game...) but I have trouble with the idea that any P5 is underpaid, especially with how yearly / every two years substantial contract adjustments are a thing now.

I just wonder how our new tv contract will effect everything. And I mean everything college sports.

I just wonder how our new tv contract will effect everything. And I mean everything college sports.
I am glad the gophs are in the big ten, give us that CALI money, and better recruiting exposure

Yeah if he won the division they'd move him up a couple spots in the conference.
His salary is 11th or 12th highest in the conference. His performance has consistently been better than that.

lol....how crazy is it that we have reached a point with coaching salaries where making 5 Million can be considered underpaid by anyone?

Just unreal how much coaching salaries have exploded in recent years.

I think coaches are largely undervalued in a lot of cases, believe it or not. Considering the business of NCAA P5 football, or the NFL, you can't put a value on success. You could name any number in certain cases.

I think PJ needs to win a LITTLE bit more to be in the "name your price" category but as soon as the Gophers are in the B1G title discussion every year, he should be elevated even more.

It's impossible to overpay for serious talent. Impossible. And I'm always amazed at businesses/organizations that try to skimp when it comes to hiring the best.

If PJ thinks he deserves more he or his agent can go looking for a better-paying job.

If PJ thinks he deserves more he or his agent can go looking for a better-paying job.
Did you miss the part where this was from a story? Fleck isn't the one saying he is underpaid.

Kelly at 5.6 is more underpaid than Fleck imo. But I’d be fine if the U paid him top half or even top 3rd of the B10 as long as he’s winning 9 games a year

His salary is 11th or 12th highest in the conference. His performance has consistently been better than that.
Agreed, but many have been hired since he came to MN. I think they've always tried to keep him around 5-6 in conf but if he won the division I believe they would push him higher than that.

With his recent $1M bump, I believe he's actually 7th. That currently puts him at about 25th in the nation. Finished in the AP poll at #30, USA Today at #27. I'd say he's paid most appropriately.

"Yeah, Fleck makes good money. He isn't actually underpaid in any sense. But we'll chuck him on the list anyway, because who the F cares?? It's clickbait baby!"

Disagree with that. It is much easier to win at some of the high level G5 than the low level P5

UCF, Cincinnati, etc are easier programs to consistently win 9 games at than Indiana, Vanderbilt, Oregon state, etc

With his recent $1M bump, I believe he's actually 7th. That currently puts him at about 25th in the nation. Finished in the AP poll at #30, USA Today at #27. I'd say he's paid most appropriately.
I didn’t realize he got the $1M bump. It looks like that puts him at 8th in the conference and 4th in the West behind Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Kelly at 5.6 is more underpaid than Fleck imo. But I’d be fine if the U paid him top half or even top 3rd of the B10 as long as he’s winning 9 games a year
As long as MN fans look at the total W/L and not the conference W/L mediocrity will be tolerated.

I think coaches are largely undervalued in a lot of cases, believe it or not. Considering the business of NCAA P5 football, or the NFL, you can't put a value on success. You could name any number in certain cases.

I think PJ needs to win a LITTLE bit more to be in the "name your price" category but as soon as the Gophers are in the B1G title discussion every year, he should be elevated even more.

It's impossible to overpay for serious talent. Impossible. And I'm always amazed at businesses/organizations that try to skimp when it comes to hiring the best.
Football brings in about $75-100 million in revenue a year at the U and the head coach is comparable to a CEO of a company. From what I can find on Google, the average CEO of a company that size makes about $500k a year in total compensation. I know it's not apples to apples but by that comparison, P5 coaches are doing very well.

If you count the publicity of CFB run or even a strong season like 2019 things change. You can't buy the same publicity as you get from that but if you could I'm sure it would cost many millions of dollars, and that helps with building the reputation of the university overall. That depends on making it to that top level though, on a national level the difference between going 6-6 and 8-4 isn't huge.

Top Bottom