Most dominant modern day BIG performance?

Where the Gophers won? Not in my memory.

On the other hand, I sat through the beating we endured at the hands of Illinois and Jeff George in 1982.

2004 Homecoming vs Illinois. 45-0.

Today was dominant, but really disappointed they let the Shutout go. It’s very difficult to shutout a B1G team on the road. In fact never in East Lansing.

I'll go with the entire month of October, 2019. Outscored opponents 126-41 (Illinois, Nebraska, @Rutgers, Maryland)

Fun game kicking the crap out of Iowa about 8 or 9 years ago at home. Colder than heck but for once people weren't worried about being stuck in traffic.
Yup, Max Williams ran roughshod.

I don’t believe I’ve seen a more dominant BIG game in my lifetime. Name yours.

1977beat #1(IIRC)Michigan at Memorial Stadium 16 - 🍩. Rick Leach was their QB and was on the cover of the SI for their football issue as they were the preseason #1 as well.

Might well be the biggest upset and best win in school history as well.

Last edited:

That 51-14 detonation of Iowa for Floyd in 2014 was my #1, but this was close.

Statistically it was more dominant.
Just like today, there were often pauses in the game while they were tending to injured Iowa players.

The win in Ann Arbor in 2014 was only 30-14 on the scoreboard, but they dominated Michigan so badly in the Big House that I was in a bar of Gopher fans screaming at the TV for Brady Hoke to take their poor QB (Shane Morris) out of the game because it was unsafe to face that pass rush while visibly concussed.

It was remarkable how Hoke beat the Gophers 58-0 in Kill's first year, and it had come to that.

Gopher victory: this
B1G game: 2014 ohio state's slaughter of Wisconsin

I checked out the MSU forum post-game and there were a lot of “Worst loss I’ve ever seen in 30 years of fandom,” type posts.

Some other bad losses were referenced but were also road games. This was certainly one of MSU’s worst home losses in a very long time, at least from the fan’s perspective.

Last edited:

The Iowa game under Kill felt better.

Man it never felt like MSU had a chance though today. Most games when we are up against a "blue chip" opponent I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop...felt like we were playing a directional team from Michigan today not the Spartans.

Kill's beatdown of Iowa is the one. I felt sheer joy that day.

I hope we duplicate or surpass it on November 19, 2022 at The Bank.

Top Bottom