Mo's status

MplsGopher

Reaction score
First, this:

https://247sports.com/college/minne...ad-to-say-following-the-Purdue-win-155100441/

Q. Is there any update on Mo Ibrahim's status after leaving in the fourth quarter?

Fleck:
One thing I'll say is I think we got the best trainer in the country in Mike Sypniak. I trust Mike with everything.

And Mo is really tough, but you also have to be the adult in the medical team and the medical staff of knowing if a kid wants to really stay in there, whether it keep him out or put him back in there. And Mike Sypniak is always thinking about our players, always thinking about their health and decided we need to shut him down.

Especially moving forward, we want to be able to have him in the future. But you got to be able to shut him down. And those are hard decisions to make especially with the way the game is going and you're going to need him. But again, nothing comes before our players health whatsoever. And like I said there's people that make that call for me, so I don't have to. They know way more than I do, but he was good after the game. Aand we'll find out, as we keep moving forward."

Based on that, here is my wild speculation:

Mo got his bell rung good. He didn't technically fail the concussion protocol, but Mike Sypniak saw something there that he didn't like.

If that's true, then my hat's off to trainer Mike and coach Fleck !!

It could've just as easily been something like a rolled ankle, that he thought he could keep playing on.

Thought someone said they saw him favoring a wrist or arm on the sideline but could be wrong on that. Given the way Fleck is talking it doesn't sound like anything overly serious or long term which is good because we absolutely need him out there. Especially if Potts is still dinged as well.

Wiley may develop into a decent back at some point but he runs too upright and goes down too easily at this point.

Know that this thread is about Mo. Seth got his bell wrung pretty good as well. Any word?

Wiley may develop into a decent back at some point but he runs too upright and goes down too easily at this point.
To me he looks more like a defensive player returning a fumble than a guy who is accustomed to carrying the ball.

Anyone know if Ky Thomas is in covid shutdown? Otherwise I thought we would see him.

Thought someone said they saw him favoring a wrist or arm on the sideline but could be wrong on that. Given the way Fleck is talking it doesn't sound like anything overly serious or long term which is good because we absolutely need him out there. Especially if Potts is still dinged as well.

Yeah I think it was a wrist/hand thing. Wiley reminds me of Eric Dickerson. He's averaging almost 5 yards a carry.

He had his right thumb taped in the post game interview.

You can see it on the TV coverage. After the last series that he played in, he came over to the sidelines and the training staff was looking at his hand. He did an immediate post-game interview, they're not going to let him do that if it was a concussion related injury.

Pretty sure Mo's problem was the left wrist/arm/hand.

Here's another reason I love PJ as our coach. The game is on the line, he and his staff have vowed (mistakently, IMO) to RUTM as their strategy to try to win and the game, and his stud RB, who he needs to get first downs, has an arm (or other) injury. PJ doesn't demand his player go back in the game to risk further injury, for the sake of a W. He cares about the player, and does what's best for the player, first, even if that risks the W.

Now, some fans, and some players are going to be pissed at such a decision, that PJ doesn't care enough about the W to risk his player. But I sure hope most fans, most players, and future recruits understand that was PJ is doing is in the best interest of the kids. Gutsy. Righteous.

Similarly, PJ is not afraid to discipline his players when they fall out of line (grades, behavior, etc.). If team rules are broken, the kids don't play. This instills a culture of turning boys to men, and in the end, this is a winning culture, and one of which we should all be happy to be fans.

Don't think that these things are lost on recruits and the parents of recruits. The kids coming into the Minnesota football program are some of the highest caliber student/player combinations I've seen in my lifetime, and they should all be proud of where the program is today.

Pretty sure Mo's problem was the left wrist/arm/hand.

Here's another reason I love PJ as our coach. The game is on the line, he and his staff have vowed (mistakently, IMO) to RUTM as their strategy to try to win and the game, and his stud RB, who he needs to get first downs, has an arm (or other) injury. PJ doesn't demand his player go back in the game to risk further injury, for the sake of a W. He cares about the player, and does what's best for the player, first, even if that risks the W.

Now, some fans, and some players are going to be pissed at such a decision, that PJ doesn't care enough about the W to risk his player. But I sure hope most fans, most players, and future recruits understand that was PJ is doing is in the best interest of the kids. Gutsy. Righteous.

Similarly, PJ is not afraid to discipline his players when they fall out of line (grades, behavior, etc.). If team rules are broken, the kids don't play. This instills a culture of turning boys to men, and in the end, this is a winning culture, and one of which we should all be happy to be fans.

Don't think that these things are lost on recruits and the parents of recruits. The kids coming into the Minnesota football program are some of the highest caliber student/player combinations I've seen in my lifetime, and they should all be proud of where the program is today.
I give even more credit to the trainer. I do believe that PJ is never going to overrule a trainer. That's a silly thing for a coach to do in this age, where everything gets out. Maybe back in the 80's or something it was a thing.

I did not see the game live. watched it on tape Saturday night. I thought I saw Ibraham moving a little gingerly at times, like he was shaken up or favoring something. based on that, I thought it might be a leg or lower-body injury, because he didn't seem to have his normal burst on his last couple of carries - seemed more tentative than usual.

It may be a hand or wrist injury, but that wouldn't impact his legs.

And, once this goes under the Gophers' cone of silence, we'll probably never know what really happened.

Oh - if your best RB is out of the game, and you keep running, I would not necessarily take that as a sign of great coaching. I would take that as a sign of a coaching staff that can not or will not adjust its game plan to account for changes in personnel. if player A cannot run a play as effectively as player B, you don't ask player A to run the same plays. at least not in my book.

Top Bottom