Morgan 9th in the country in PFF’s latest QB ranking.

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
9. TANNER MORGAN, MINNESOTA
Even with their perfect season dashed by Iowa last week, Morgan and the Gophers have exceeded expectations in 2019. After a middling 61.8 overall grade on 178 dropbacks in 2018, Morgan has churned out an elite 88.2 overall grade and a 90.3 passing grade through 10 games as he's thrown for 22 touchdowns and averages 10.7 yards per attempt. He finds his big three receivers at will and has shown how accurate he can be at times. His shining moment came against Purdue when he completed 21-of-22 passes for four scores while he followed that up with an 18-of-20 game with three touchdowns against Penn State. There are moments in which he can take over the game and that will certainly have to happen when they host Wisconsin for a spot in the Big Ten Championship in Week 14. Against a stout defense, Morgan will have to bring his A-game that we saw against Purdue and Penn State if they want to defeat the Badgers.

Morgan is incredible, I hope he comes back with the same level of brilliance after this concussion (or whatever is actually going on). It’s nice to see way down the list is Jack Coan at 52 :ROFLMAO:

TM2 needs to take the time to get well. If that means taking this week so be it, or even vs Wisconsin. He has a lot of football in front of him.

Even if he misses NU he has a decent chance of breaking the single season yardage and TD totals and almost certainly will break them comfortably if he plays in Evanston.

Tanner has been great this season. With that said, I would be fine giving Seth Green/Kramer more playing time this week. Let GB1 rest nahmean?

Morgan is incredible, I hope he comes back with the same level of brilliance after this concussion (or whatever is actually going on). It’s nice to see way down the list is Jack Coan at 52 :ROFLMAO:
And Max Duggan at #92.

Pro style system and no major weaknesses, he and Faalele potentially both first rounders and our best draft class recently /ever

Pro style system and no major weaknesses, he and Faalele potentially both first rounders and our best draft class recently /ever

GopherHolers have already unanimously designated TM2's ceiling as being an undrafted free agent that will amount to nothing more than a clipboard holder on the sideline.

GopherHolers have already unanimously designated TM2's ceiling as being an undrafted free agent that will amount to nothing more than a clipboard holder on the sideline.

I used to think that, but he keeps stepping up his game. Now, I’m not so sure. A lot of improvement can be made in two years.

No way in hell Morgan is a first rounder.

Look at what Zach Terrell did at WMU. He had 3 straight years of numbers just as good if not better that what Tanner is doing right now. 3 straight 3,400 yard, 26 TD seasons and he went undrafted.

They are both very similar in terms of size, athleticism and arm strength, run the exact same offense and both have/had the benefit of throwing to some of the best WR's in the country and had very good O-lines and running game.

Morgan might find a way to sneak into the later rounds because he is doing this against Big Ten competition instead of in the MAC but I'd be shocked if he was drafted any higher than that if at all.

I dont know where he will be drafted, but I love his game. He makes some unbelievable reads for a college QB and is cool, calm, and collect. I have no doubt he will have a NFL career. In the very least, he is the best QB I've seen for the Gophers

No way in hell Morgan is a first rounder.

Look at what Zach Terrell did at WMU. He had 3 straight years of numbers just as good if not better that what Tanner is doing right now. 3 straight 3,400 yard, 26 TD seasons and he went undrafted.

They are both very similar in terms of size, athleticism and arm strength, run the exact same offense and both have/had the benefit of throwing to some of the best WR's in the country and had very good O-lines and running game.

Morgan might find a way to sneak into the later rounds because he is doing this against Big Ten competition instead of in the MAC but I'd be shocked if he was drafted any higher than that if at all.

Dangerous trying to project two years out. I‘m not going to try to predict anything on this, because things can change in a blink of an eye. What if he develops more arm strength with all of the work he’s doing on his mechanics? What if he continues to improve his pocket presence? There are too many “what ifs.” Even if he becomes a clipboard holder on an NFL sideline, that’s still pretty good, considering his starting point.

WOW! Tanner Morgan is in elite company! No. 2 rated QB in the Big Ten, and the No. 9 rated QB nationally.

Rank / QB / School

001 - Joe Burrow, LSU
002 - Justin Fields, tOSU
003 - Jalen Hurts, OU
004 - Justin Herbert, ORE
005 - Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
006 - Tyler Huntley, Utah
007 - Jake Fromm, GA
008 - Brock Purdy, ISU
009 - Tanner Morgan, MN
017 - Peyton Ramsey, IND
028 - Sean Clifford, PSU
029 - Nate Stanley, Iowa
049 - Shea Patterson, MI
052 - Jack Coan, WI
079 - Brandon Peters, IL

084 - Jack Plummer/Aidan O'Connell, PU
085 - Adrian Martinez, NE

092 - Max Duggan, TCU
095 - Brian Lewerke, MSU
123 - Aidan Smith, NW
127 - Josh Jackson, MD
129 - Johnny Langan, RUT

QBs that are out for the season like Boise's Hank Bachmeier are not listed.

Last edited:

^
Remember when Martinez was being mentioned as a preseason Heisman candidate? If Nebraska was 9-1, and he had those numbers and ranking, anyone doubt his name would still be brought up in those conversations? :unsure:

TM1 will be drafted. Don’t know when or where, but he has great accuracy and has improved by leaps and bounds even over the course of the year. Only a Sophomore. Hopefully he is cleared and we won’t have to worry about who the backup is on Saturday, but I also hope the med staff does their job and keeps him sidelined if he’s not ready.

TM1 will be drafted. Don’t know when or where, but he has great accuracy and has improved by leaps and bounds even over the course of the year. Only a Sophomore. Hopefully he is cleared and we won’t have to worry about who the backup is on Saturday, but I also hope the med staff does their job and keeps him sidelined if he’s not ready.

I think the #1 thing he needs to refine in order to get the attention of pro scouts is pocket awareness and buying time with his feet when protection breaks down. Being on the shorter side obviously isn’t the detriment it once was.

I like Tanner Morgan. I like the wide receivers and backs, and I like Kirk Ciarracca.
I was happy when Coyle brought in Fleck, but I didn't watch WMU much, and I had no idea what a treat we would be in for. The offense is night and day better compared to what we are used to.
I don't know if it's just how special Tanner is (I know he is) or how much is the talent and system around him. Drew Brees elevated Purdue to levels that they haven't seen since. I think it's because of Tanner's size, how he has lead a surge, and his adequate level of athleticism that I think about him possibly being in that same ball park as Brees. Maybe that's ridiculous?

I like Tanner Morgan. I like the wide receivers and backs, and I like Kirk Ciarracca.
I was happy when Coyle brought in Fleck, but I didn't watch WMU much, and I had no idea what a treat we would be in for. The offense is night and day better compared to what we are used to.
I don't know if it's just how special Tanner is (I know he is) or how much is the talent and system around him. Drew Brees elevated Purdue to levels that they haven't seen since. I think it's because of Tanner's size, how he has lead a surge, and his adequate level of athleticism that I think about him possibly being in that same ball park as Brees. Maybe that's ridiculous

Most people would say it’s ridiculous, but how many of those same people predicted Brees would be a successful NFL QB, let alone break multiple all-time career passing records. I’ll be honest....I thought Brees was too small, so I flopped.

What about TM2?

Tanner Morgan is a testament of faith of the recruiting staff when they saw a winner nobody else did. Rashod Bateman was a case where they spotted him on the rise (in person) and stayed loyal and showed a lot of love to him throughout. Annexstad, Dunlop, Fa'alele is case of an IMG recruiting coup orchestrated with help of a well-like team mate Zach Annexstad. Fleck and staff are very detailed oriented guys and are quite creative in the recruiting game.

Poaching the efforts of Gopher Recruiting is a legitimate threat. There will be interesting recruiting wars. The cure is winning and putting players in the pros.

Just the amount of recruiting in the first three years are showing signs that PJ Fleck is the most important hire in over a century of Gopher Football.

It will only get better with some peaks and valleys as the Gophers go through their cycle of players/player development.

We have been gifted with enough talent to make a turn on the program faster than I have anticipated.

Last edited:

I think the #1 thing he needs to refine in order to get the attention of pro scouts is pocket awareness and buying time with his feet when protection breaks down. Being on the shorter side obviously isn’t the detriment it once was.

Hmmmmm. How tall are Drew Brees and Russell Wilson?

Top Bottom