109. Josh Jackson 59.8
108. Bo Nix 60.3
107. Max Duggan 60.6
106. Brett Gabbert 60.7
105. Dillon Gabriel 62.7

https://twitter.com/tomfornelli/status/1175895940860977157?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I like Tanner and all, but man his staring down his first option, throwing into the thick of coverage and not finding those second options that are often 1:1 all alone. Worries me about if he can work that out and grow.

I like Tanner and all, but man his staring down his first option, throwing into the thick of coverage and not finding those second options that are often 1:1 all alone. Worries me about if he can work that out and grow.

I don’t know what to say about that. Maybe he’s instructed to throw to the primary receiver, if he thinks he can fit it in there. Who knows? All I know is he ranks near the top in a lot of categories in both the conference and the nation, yet a large portion of the Gopher fanbase, and several media members who cover the team think he isn’t very good. Given the history of this team at that position, I find that bizarre.

Looks like #2 in the Big Ten..

—-

Highest on-target% amongst QBs with at least 50 pass attempts of 0+ air yards

1. Jack Coan 89.2
2. Joe Burrow 89.1
3. Frank Harris 86.7
4. Justin Herbert 85.7
5. Jake Fromm 85.5
6. Jarren Williams 85.4
7. Kedon Slovis 84.8
8. Tyler Huntley 84.5
9. Tua 82.9
10. Tanner Morgan 82.5

Lowest on-target%, at least 50 PA of 0+ AY

114. Sean Chambers 55.2
113. Anthony Brown 57.6
112. Armani Rogers 57.7
111. Justin McMillian 57.7
110. Sawyer Smith 59.4
109. Josh Jackson 59.8
108. Bo Nix 60.3
107. Max Duggan 60.6
106. Brett Gabbert 60.7
105. Dillon Gabriel 62.7

Can you even have a pass attempt that’s not 0+ yards?

I don’t know what to say about that. Maybe he’s instructed to throw to the primary receiver, if he thinks he can fit it in there. Who knows? All I know is he ranks near the top in a lot of categories in both the conference and the nation, yet a large portion of the Gopher fanbase, and several media members who cover the team think he isn’t very good. Given the history of this team at that position, I find that bizarre.

I don't think that's accurate.

I don't think that's accurate.

It might be more than you think. They think he’s the backup, and we’d be better off with Annexstad. I’m talking about the more casual fans, not Gopherhole.

It might be more than you think. They think he’s the backup, and we’d be better off with Annexstad. I’m talking about the more casual fans, not Gopherhole.

I'm not sure anyone can be sure about that either way.

I'm not sure anyone can be sure about that either way.

Agreed. All we have to go on is what we saw from ZA last season. He reportedly throws a “prettier” ball, and looked great in practice.

Agreed- this is my main concern regarding him as well. The first possession we had against Fresno he actually went through his progressions on several plays and I thought that maybe we were seeing a breakthrough. Unfortunately it seems that progress will be a slow measured improvement- although that’s not uncommon for young QBs

Yeah, after the Georgia Southern game I got a text from a friend that read "They won but holy **** Tanner Morgan is bad."

To be fair I don't know if he watched the whole game or not.

I wonder if the Gophers and a few other college programs try to simplify the heck out of it for many young QBs. There have been a few post game quotes that talk about the primary option on game winning plays and I don’t even know if he is expected to move to other options if those guys are covered.
I watched a few other college games yesterday where the receivers on the non non primary side of the ball just jogged out their routes not expecting to be part of the play.

In game 1, TJ was double covered so Morgan went to Bateman more often. In game 2, both TJ and Bateman received heavy covereage so Morgan went to CAB in big moments. In game 3, Douglas was left open on huge plays so Morgan went to him (along with TJ's monster game of course). People who claim Morgan only goes with the first option are full of shiite.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, after the Georgia Southern game I got a text from a friend that read "They won but holy **** Tanner Morgan is bad."

To be fair I don't know if he watched the whole game or not.

This stood out to me, from after the GSU game. He thought 8 wins before the season, but “5 more will be tough without Annexstad.” He made some other comments too, about missing easy throws. I don’t think he’s a fan.

https://twitter.com/dwolfsonkstp/status/1173013719531565057?s=21

Last edited:

In game 1, TJ was double covered so Morgan went to Bateman more often. In game 2, both TJ and Bateman received heavy covereage so Morgan went to CAB in big moments. In game 3, Douglas was left open on huge plays so Morgan went to him (along with TJ's monster game of course). People who claim Morgan only goes with the first option are full of shiite.

There’s a difference between going through progressions to find your 3rd option on a play and having a play specially set up for someone other than one of your two primary receivers (TJ and RB obviously). The beautiful play in the FSU game for example was specifically intended to be thrown to CAB, it wasn’t because TM went through progressions to come upon CAB.

I've been pretty impressed with his QB play so far. I liked him last year too. Couldn't figure out why so many people were clamoring for ZA to win the job when I thought Morgan did great.

I don't think that Morgan stares down his primary receiver nearly as much as people say he does. The reason he has been completing these crazy passes is that he is holding the safety to begin the play and keeping his guy in single-coverage. He has good eye control and works through his reads well. People are trying to find things to knock about him. None of them are true. He's accurate, he has a good arm, and he's smart. He has had a few small hiccups, but nothing unexpected for a guy with a handful of games under his belt.

Fleck has a habit of talking down Minnesota's strengths to manage expectations. He has been doing that a lot with Morgan. I don't buy it.

It's still early, and he might regress, but Morgan is the best QB I have ever seen in the Maroon and Gold.

I

It's still early, and he might regress, but Morgan is the best QB I have ever seen in the Maroon and Gold.

I'll second that. There are so many ways that our QB play could be worse and we've seen more than our share of bad QB play over the last 20 years. I hope he continues to do what he is doing the rest of the year w/ some steady improvement.

BTW....I thought Jack Coan was supposed to suck?

the slant he hit to Tyler Johnson in Camp Randall to more or less seal the game is burned in my Gopher memory bank and gives him my respect for ever

Maybe, because of the persistent double coverage on Johnson and Bateman, plays were called that featured CAB or DD as the primary receiver. I really like Tanner, for all that he has accomplished. But I think he could do some truly special things if he looked off a safety once in a while, or visibly went through his progressions. Of course, this depends on him having some time, and the OL picking up twists and blitzes.

There are a fair number of people on here who think that. I would guess a higher percentage than among casual fans. Casual fans would only care whether the QB does well enough. They would be less likely to have other favorites because they pay less attention and have less emotion invested.

I've been pretty impressed with his QB play so far. I liked him last year too. Couldn't figure out why so many people were clamoring for ZA to win the job when I thought Morgan did great.

They're tribalists.

I don't think that Morgan stares down his primary receiver nearly as much as people say he does. The reason he has been completing these crazy passes is that he is holding the safety to begin the play and keeping his guy in single-coverage. He has good eye control and works through his reads well. People are trying to find things to knock about him. None of them are true. He's accurate, he has a good arm, and he's smart. He has had a few small hiccups, but nothing unexpected for a guy with a handful of games under his belt.

Fleck has a habit of talking down Minnesota's strengths to manage expectations. He has been doing that a lot with Morgan. I don't buy it.

I really like Tanner as a QB but to be fair to previous gopher qbs, Tanner has the best receiving corps of my 40+ year lifetime.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom