MN kids at Wisconsin

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I know there were a couple guys that everyone was fretting about as they committed to Wis. I remember OL Martz (sp) and I think there was a 300 DT from the Metro area. How have they done and were there any other MN kids doing well there? I know some are going to say "Don't Care because they left MN" but it is nice to know if they were all hype or if they actually turned out pretty good.

Beau Allen is the DT. He starts and would help us quite a bit. He's a big DT and he is pretty talented.

I can't remember the DE, Brandon Kelly or something like that, he's a pretty good ball player, i'm not quite sure if he is a starter or not, but he would definitely play a lot for us.

Officials hosing the Illini. Personal foul call and Wis fumble review. Head official is really bad

I couldn't believe the guy that got carted off got called for a personal foul.

This. That wasn't a penalty. The fumble non-call to follow it up was some literal insult to injury.

It's pretty bad when the ref is calling you for a personal foul literally when you are being taken off the field in an ambulance.

There's seven MN kids on the team for anyone who cares.

DT Beau Allen - starter
WR Ross Barker - A.J.'s brother
DL Brendan Kelly - played in 3 games, 6 tackles
OL Tyler Marz - backup
LS James McGuire - starting long snapper
P Matt Salerno
LS Connor Udelhoven

Beau Allen was the guy I was trying to think of. When I see those giant holes opening off-tackle in the Iowa game it got me thinking how badly we need a big guy who can hold their own in there.

Is Ross a walk on? UW roster lists him as a freshman, but I could not find any signings of him on rivals or espn.

It's probably not a stretch to say that right now Wisconsin kids are more important to the Gophers program than Minnesota kids are to Wisconsin. We start Epping and Botticelli, Murray has seen time and will be a big contributor in the next few years, Filkins (LS) is from Wisconsin, Balthazor and Bush are back-ups and special teams contributors, along with a number of other players including several walk-ons from this year.

Brendan Kelly was a starter before getting hurt. I seem to recall that both Allen and Marz have family ties to Wisconsin.

Beau Allen was the guy I was trying to think of. When I see those giant holes opening off-tackle in the Iowa game it got me thinking how badly we need a big guy who can hold their own in there.

Actually it's more a scheme issue than personnel. The gophers d-line are coached to pass rush every down. As a result they lose lane integrity and the backers are cannon fodder(they are not kept clean...o-lineman are free to block them).

No doubt this type scheme has been successful in other programs, it just doesn't fit the gophers personnel.....yet (IMO).

Is Ross a walk on? UW roster lists him as a freshman, but I could not find any signings of him on rivals or espn.

He was a walk-on, but can not play anymore due to a heart condition. Reusse wrote a big article on him and AJ just before the start of the Big Ten Season. I know most here probably missed it because it was Reusse, but it was actually a really good article for once...

I seem to recall that both Allen and Marz have family ties to Wisconsin.

yes...

the Marz recruitment was interesting. my new neighbor was a HS coach of Marz. i can only say it was kind of an intriguing recruitment. it is what it was...

Actually it's more a scheme issue than personnel. The gophers d-line are coached to pass rush every down. As a result they lose lane integrity and the backers are cannon fodder(they are not kept clean...o-lineman are free to block them).

No doubt this type scheme has been successful in other programs, it just doesn't fit the gophers personnel.....yet (IMO).

appreciate the insight. What personnel changes would be required? What type of player, and at what position?

Are we permitted to interview recruits that we lose? If so, do we do that? It would be interesting to learn what reasons are given. Since a 17 year-old is not likely to disclose the trace of his logic clearly, such an interview would have to be well-developed.

It's probably not a stretch to say that right now Wisconsin kids are more important to the Gophers program than Minnesota kids are to Wisconsin. We start Epping and Botticelli, Murray has seen time and will be a big contributor in the next few years, Filkins (LS) is from Wisconsin, Balthazor and Bush are back-ups and special teams contributors, along with a number of other players including several walk-ons from this year.

Jordan Wettstein is from De Pere, Wisconsin too.

Actually it's more a scheme issue than personnel. The gophers d-line are coached to pass rush every down. As a result they lose lane integrity and the backers are cannon fodder(they are not kept clean...o-lineman are free to block them)

I actually much prefer this aggressive approach to the D-Line play, even though we don't quite have the personnel yet.

Under Mason, for example, everyone was coached to maintain their lanes, don't blitz/stunt a lot, try not to give up a big play, and force the other team to play mistake-free football down the field. This is the exact reason why we almost always beat teams worse than us, and would get blown out (or blow big leads) against teams with halfway decent offenses who could go down the field with ease. Also, teams figured out we would never switch up our defense and could run the same couple of plays over and over with success.

With the aggressive approach it keeps the DL engaged and aggressive, so when obvious passing situations come up, they are more prepared from a pass rush standpoint.

Top Bottom