MN Daily: Gophers take on racism with H.E.R.E initiative

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Back in May following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Gophers’ football coach P.J. Fleck checked in with his players. Fast forward to when the team was able to meet again in person, and Fleck decided to bring the team’s leadership council together.

In the meeting, he asked players what they wanted to do about the issue of racism in society and how they wanted to create change from within the program. The answer came from defensive back Coney Durr, and his response was simple: educate.

“Everyone in this room, no matter who you are, needs to be educated,” Fleck said. “I think that was an incredibly powerful statement — one word to describe what we all need. … No matter where you come from, no matter what you look like, we all need education.”

Now Minnesota has added another element to its “Row the Boat” culture with its H.E.R.E. (Helping End Racism through Education) initiative. With this, the Gophers learn about a different theme or topic each week. Durr appreciates the different conversations and experiences that have come out of the initiative thus far.

“It’s different hearing something on TV than it is hearing it from a brother you’re around every single day,” Durr said.

Go Gophers!!

I enjoy the acronyms and PJisms. There are all sorts of ways to communicate, I like it when folks get creative.

Racism is a very serious problem as people don't want to learn the root of the problem to all these issues. Until that happens, will continue to have racist people and problems that goes with it.

Top Bottom