MN Daily: Gopher men’s basketball summer workouts showcase a brighter future

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Alex:

Summer Workouts

The team started summer practices on June 12. Much of the early work included Johnson figuring out the tendencies of every individual on the roster.

“We’ve done a lot of small group stuff early,” Johnson said. “In a small group, I can really watch a guy – whatever it is 45 to 50 minutes – and figure out, ok he’s really good at this, or I don’t like this, or we can change this.”

In addition to small group activities, Johnson said he has been ensuring the team can play in five-on-five situations to mix things up.

“We’ll do some small five-on-five, just little spurts, because there is the competing factor that I want to get good at,” Johnson said. “We want to program and condition ourselves to compete at all times.”

Although getting back on the court is critical for the team, Johnson said he wants to take this time to allow players who have been sitting in the transfer portal to get in shape and up to speed with the team.

“If you’re in the portal, sometimes you’re not getting a normal spring workout in, so you’re behind already just physically,” said Johnson. “The worst thing you want to do is, all of sudden, you’re hungry to get after it and you get a hammy, you get a back [injury] and now those guys are out.”

The Future of the Program

Two disappointing seasons under Johnson left Gopher basketball fans frustrated with the trajectory of the program, but a speck of hope was seen after the Gophers had their first postseason victory since 2019 after winning in round one of the Big Ten tournament.

Johnson said he is on the same page as Athletics Director Mark Coyle in regards to the trajectory of the program.

“Mark is great. He understands where we’re at, he understands the process of this,” said Johnson. “When you let something bake, it tastes better.”

Go Gophers!!

per Alex:

Summer Workouts

The team started summer practices on June 12. Much of the early work included Johnson figuring out the tendencies of every individual on the roster.

“We’ve done a lot of small group stuff early,” Johnson said. “In a small group, I can really watch a guy – whatever it is 45 to 50 minutes – and figure out, ok he’s really good at this, or I don’t like this, or we can change this.”

In addition to small group activities, Johnson said he has been ensuring the team can play in five-on-five situations to mix things up.

“We’ll do some small five-on-five, just little spurts, because there is the competing factor that I want to get good at,” Johnson said. “We want to program and condition ourselves to compete at all times.”

Although getting back on the court is critical for the team, Johnson said he wants to take this time to allow players who have been sitting in the transfer portal to get in shape and up to speed with the team.

“If you’re in the portal, sometimes you’re not getting a normal spring workout in, so you’re behind already just physically,” said Johnson. “The worst thing you want to do is, all of sudden, you’re hungry to get after it and you get a hammy, you get a back [injury] and now those guys are out.”

The Future of the Program

Two disappointing seasons under Johnson left Gopher basketball fans frustrated with the trajectory of the program, but a speck of hope was seen after the Gophers had their first postseason victory since 2019 after winning in round one of the Big Ten tournament.

Johnson said he is on the same page as Athletics Director Mark Coyle in regards to the trajectory of the program.

“Mark is great. He understands where we’re at, he understands the process of this,” said Johnson. “When you let something bake, it tastes better.”

Go Gophers!!
are we really citing a weakling wednesday win as progress? we also won in 2020 no?

per Alex:

Summer Workouts
Sounds simple! 💁‍♂️

How long does this recipe need to bake?

Beyond sarcasm, interesting note on portal guys not being in shape. We’ve certainly seen that here. Some places must be pretty hard core about locking guys out of facilities once they announce a transfer. Seems unnecessarily punitive too, especially in an era when it’s the norm.

If this is true, it creates even more incentive to get transfers in as soon as possible.

How long does this recipe need to bake?

Beyond sarcasm, interesting note on portal guys not being in shape. We’ve certainly seen that here. Some places must be pretty hard core about locking guys out of facilities once they announce a transfer. Seems unnecessarily punitive too, especially in an era when it’s the norm.

If this is true, it creates even more incentive to get transfers in as soon as possible.
I am told that as soon as a player announces for the portal, at most all schools, everything is cut off immediately.

Game shape, in every sport, is different from training/gym shape.

makes sense. If a player is in the portal, his attention is going to be focused on setting up meetings, zooms, on-campus visits, etc until he commits to a new school. no matter how dedicated they are, they're probably not going to be working out as hard or as often - especially if they don't have access to the team facilities. so you can see why a transfer in that situation might have some catch-up work to do when they join a new team.

No access has a lot more to do with insurance liability than it does spite.
Not part of the program no longer covered.

Spite is not a success factor in good business practices. In fact it is a distraction from success. Same applies to coaching.

What’s the definition of not part of the program? An argument can be made that as long as they are a student athlete enrolled at school they are part of the program at least through the end of the current term. Analogously, is an about to be graduated senior not part of the program when his season ends, since he has no eligibility left? I get liability, but I’m not sure that’s the primary reason they cut off the facilities to portal guys. I know they can do it, and maybe they should, but it does seem spiteful to me.

Top Bottom