MN Daily: Critical summer looms for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

This year, Jerry Kill prepared his team for its annual spring game a little differently.

Instead of the traditional low-key walkthrough that players are accustomed to, Kill turned practice completely over to his team in preparation for his fifth spring game with the Gophers.

“It’s really fun to watch them,” Kill said. “To me, our job is to get those guys so knowledgeable that they could go coach if they wanted to.”

With the team heading into the coach-free summer months, its success rests solely in the players’ hands.

But Kill doesn’t seem worried.

“[Friday] went great. … I told them we just need to get out there and let them coach themselves,” Kill said. “I wanted to see what they wanted [the summer] to look like.”

But months away from Minnesota’s September season opener against TCU, Saturday’s spring game showed the Gophers still have plenty to work on.

Young receivers dropped multiple catchable passes, negating big plays.

“Ultimately, [this summer] is going to be about those receivers and getting those guys comfortable,” quarterback Mitch Leidner said. “Me and the rest of the quarterbacks need those guys to be on the same page as us at all times.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2015/04/13/critical-summer-looms-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Short sighted and uniformed. The most critical thing this summer is the rehab and readiness of Jon Christenson. His return is anticipated and will solidify the offensive line. Lauer, Bjorkland, Christenson, Campion, Pirsig. Second they used no double tight end or H back in the spring game. Coach Kill was clear about that they knew and had tape on the tight ends. 7 on 7 drills are standard from spring till fall drills. Lifting and conditioning is heavier during this period also. The "young" receivers are red shirt freshman. The summer is critical they need to realize their red shirt was, is the opportunity to be ready and take over a position and contribute. Not become an excuse for being too young.

Top Bottom