MN Daily Column: North Star Cup lets us reminisce about WCHA, ya feel me?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

This weekend, the North Star College Cup reunited Minnesota’s Division I hockey teams after last season’s conference departures.

The inaugural tournament was the perfect way to pay homage to the rivalries forged in the WCHA. And as many expected, No. 1 Minnesota claimed the wooden trophy and flexed its top-team-in-the-state muscles Saturday against rival Minnesota-Duluth.

The one flaw in an otherwise perfect weekend of Minnesota hockey? The shootout that decided the championship.

While every tournament needs a winner, and there’s some validity in the argument that a shootout is the most efficient way to end a tie, this tournament deserved more than that.

Let the boys play until someone scores the old-fashioned way.

It would only improve an event that already made a very favorable first impression.

Ya feel me?

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-...r-cup-lets-us-reminisce-about-wcha-ya-feel-me

Go Gophers!!

I am on the record hating shootouts as much as anybody on the planet. Having said that, I think continuous OT would be a really weird thing to do in this tournament. I believe the NCAA only recognizes an initial 5 minute OT as a tie breaker, so I think if we did continuous OT and it lasted longer than 5 minutes, the NCAA would consider it a tie anyways (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Since there are no conference points at stake, that would mean that the continuous OT would only count for deciding bragging rights and possession of the trophy, with no postseason (NCAA or confernece) implications. I don't think the coaches would be on board for playing several full periods where at best the teams would get beat up and at worst someone could get hurt just for the bragging rights.

I am on the record hating shootouts as much as anybody on the planet. Having said that, I think continuous OT would be a really weird thing to do in this tournament. I believe the NCAA only recognizes an initial 5 minute OT as a tie breaker, so I think if we did continuous OT and it lasted longer than 5 minutes, the NCAA would consider it a tie anyways (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Since there are no conference points at stake, that would mean that the continuous OT would only count for deciding bragging rights and possession of the trophy, with no postseason (NCAA or confernece) implications. I don't think the coaches would be on board for playing several full periods where at best the teams would get beat up and at worst someone could get hurt just for the bragging rights.

You are correct and that is why the shootout makes perfect sense. Would rather lose in a shoot out than win in triple overtime and a lose a player to injury when the result is the same when it comes time to seed the NCAAs.

Top Bottom