MN Daily Article - What Happended to Q?

I think the fact that gray never got a shot earlier has less to do with gray and more with how much the previous staff loved weber. Brewster was loyal to him to a fault.

Rose I pretty much agree with you. I never got the impression that Gray was dumb. I mean, it takes brains to pick up all of the receiver routes during bowl practices. It just seemed like Brew's allegience to Weber and our lack of depth at WR was the main reason.

I'm not sure if Brew was entirely wrong (in a short sided way)..
QB: Weber
WR: McKnight
WR: Gray
- -
Probably gave us a better chance to win last year than:
QB: Gray
WR: McKnight
WR: BArker/Kiese?

Especially considering our offense wasn't really suited to GRay's needs. Like I said, it was near sighted of Brew, but he was fighting for a job.

I don't think think I ever heard the brewster staff say anything negative about gray as a qb. They always said he'd be the next guy. They said that weber and gray were two of the best players and they had to move gray to get them both on the field. I don't know if Brewster could have saved his job with gray, but the grading would have been more lenient with a young athletic qb than it was with a 4th year starter third year captain never having gotten to 8 wins.

IMO, it was that loyalty that led to his firing.

That's true.

He was unsure of himself as a HC and it wasn't anymore obvious than how he handled the leftover players from Mason. He seemed scared to rock the boat as far as the depth charts went. For instance, Kill, who has coached for a long time, obviously has no problem with setting the depth charts and rotations as HE sees fit (Delaney, rotation at DL, rotation at LB, etc.) because he has done it before. He knows what he was looking for and isn't worried about making a mistake because he's done it already!

Now as for Brew, he had no experience so he just sort of stayed the status quo and didn't sprinkle in the youngsters nearly enough. I think this was partially loyalty and partially naivety.

What would make it interesting is if Weber still had one more year of eligibility left. Would Kill and Limegrover give the impression that Q is pretty much the starter if there was another viable option? That is the decision that Brew and Horton had to make, which is much tougher.

What would make it interesting is if Weber still had one more year of eligibility left. Would Kill and Limegrover give the impression that Q is pretty much the starter if there was another viable option? That is the decision that Brew and Horton had to make, which is much tougher.

It's possible Kill&Co. would have done the same thing which is easy to do when you see Weber's leadership and numbers along with Gray's ability to play WR (a weak position for the team beyond McKnight). What Brewster failed to realize was that they could actually be more successful offensively by benching Weber and allowing Gray to command the offense and have his hands on the ball every play (an equation that doesn't make sense numbers wise).

Of course, you all are saying that as if Gray was actually effective in those types of offenses that Brew's coaches employed.

Brew's problem had nothing to do with his 'loyalty' to Weber but had EVERYTHING to do with the carousel of coordinators and offensive philosophies. Obviously it didn't help Weber.. What makes ya'll think it would have helped Q?

I really like the article. He really put into words a lot of the things I thought about/wondered about. I could never understand why he never was in for a series last year, no matter what the conditions were. You could see the potential the year b4 in the tOSU mop up and in the Insight Bowl (yeah I know he fumbled but so did AW in other games)...the guy is an incredible athlete. Brew said early on in his time here that he wasn't a fan of 2 quarterbacks alternating and man was that spot on. I stayed at the 55-0 debacle a few years ago to see just how long it would take b4 he would put in Mortenson in....it was a long wait. Should have known from that he was never going to change QB's in the entire time he was here. But, as the author said...we'll probably never know the answer and we don't have to have it...we've moved on and Q is the man now.

Of course, you all are saying that as if Gray was actually effective in those types of offenses that Brew's coaches employed.

Brew's problem had nothing to do with his 'loyalty' to Weber but had EVERYTHING to do with the carousel of coordinators and offensive philosophies. Obviously it didn't help Weber.. What makes ya'll think it would have helped Q?

My thoughts exactly. Brew had no trouble with disregarding loyalty at other positions. I believe there were a few O-Lineman who started under Mason, then never saw the field under Brew.

I can only WISH that Weber was returning for another season!

He would have been GREAT in this new offense! Of course he would have been the starter. He was always the man who won the job once the competitions would begin. No matter who the coordinator...no matter what the offense. And, brewball had lots of coordinators and lots of offenses.

brewster's whole problem was the fact that he thought he was a gm/recruiter. badger joel maturi provided LOTS of money so that brewster could hire EXPERIENCED offensive and defensive coordinators in his first year on the job. Why? Because brewster didn't have a CLUE about what his offensive OR his defensive philosophy was. So, it was Dunbar's baby and brain child for the offense as the failed brewball experiment was ushered in by badger joel macturi. Brewster said he LOVED the spread-coast offense. He also LOVED what ever kind of defense his hired-gun defensive coordinator thought he knew. After the 1-11 season (0-8 Big Ten) brewster didn't love the defense and his coordinator bagged for the North of Carolina to Tar Heel land. Dunbar had such a big buck contract that badger joel maturi wouldn't let brewster run off Dunbar...yet. And, brewster claimed he LOVED the spread.

A collapsed second season, including a 55-0 head-bashing of brewster by ferentz and brewster no longer LOVED the spread. He suddenly evolved into "brew the smash-mouth/pet fisch fanatic. No more spreadsy-wedsy spread-coast crap for the brewmeister. Dunbar wasn't around...but...they were still paying him the big bucks for that third year of his contract. After another collapse, the pet fisch was gone and the start of his fourth season is history.

brewster didn't have a CLUE what he wanted to do on offense or on defense his entire time at Minnesota.

There is only ONE thing for certain: Weber had the ability to beat out any and every other qb that brewster brought to Minnesota no matter WHAT the offense changed to. And it wasn't even close. IF Weber was returning for one final season, under Coach Kill I have NO reason to suspect that anything would be different. Coach Kill would bring in HIS offense and he would figure out which qb could pick up the offense, run the offense and make the reads on the field and then he would go with that qb. No matter WHO the coordinators were, Weber was ALWAYS their choice. And, it would be that way now too.

Since, however, it is just plain foolish for some of you to SPECULATE that suddenly "Q" would beat out Weber in learning another new offense, I am going to have to remind all of you that is one battle "Q" never did win. The beauty of the 2011 season is the fact that it is a battle that no longer is possible and "Q" no longer has to convince his coach he is the one. However, he has to convince his coach that he is the qb who will put the 2011 Golden Gophers in the best position to win football games.

Weber is no longer a part of the equation. You people don't have Weber to kick around any longer. FINALLY, the Gophers have replaced the failed and totally unprepared brewster and in Coach Kill, they have a coach who knows EXACTLY who he is, how he is, what he is, what kind of offense he will run, why he will run it and how to support that offense with a running game, a disciplined way of coaching up his players and he will provide stability to this program that has had NO stability for the past four years, thanks to badger joel macturi.

But, since YOU people bring it up, I sure do wish that Weber had ONE more season to take over a new offense ONE more time. With a coach like Coach Kill and his staff...it would have been a LOT of fun to watch.

Good luck to "Q" and good luck to ALL the qb's. I don't think a starter has been named yet. May there be a lot of great competition for this spot. And, as he always has in his coaching career, Coach Kill will most certainly go with the qb who gives his team the best chance to win and who can put the team in the best position to win on game day Saturdays. It may very well be the qb who makes the least mistakes. Big plays are fun, and they do help, but, sometimes it the less flashy, more consistant player who gets the job done.

I'll wait to see how this first season plays out. We will know a LOT more when the Big Ten portion of the schedule starts, is played and has been finished than we think we know now. Good luck and best wishes to all our qb's. I certainly do wish Weber was back for another season, but he is not. YOU people need to remember that Your little speculations in which you always conclude, somehow that someone else was better than Weber have come to an end. You can NOT "what if" Weber vs "Q" and have it come out differently than it played out during the entire brewball era. What happened...happened in exactly the way it happened. NO more bashing Weber!

It is up to "Q" to go out and prove he can get it done. It is up to him to prove he can win the starting qb job. None of your speculations will help him. It is SHOW TIME for "Q". Good luck and best wishes to him. And, good luck and best wishes to Weber as he gets on with life after GOPHERHOLE message board poster cheap shots. And good luck to all the other qb's who will try to compete with "Q" for the qb position. Good luck to us all!

; 0 )

If you don't think gray is the starting qb you've got some strong drugs my friend. Will be interesting to see how he does. New era. Time to move on. Brewster rants are no longer necessary nor is defending Adam weber as a victim of circumstance.

It's over.

No more bashing of Weber...

and, we shall see what we shall see...that's the deal.

It really sounds to me as though you make "Q" out to be some sort of victim of circumstance...or at least some sort of "bad brew mojo..." served up during the past few seasons.

Good luck and best wishes to "Q" and all the other qb's. (Most likely, we will need all the qb's for good, solid competition for "Q" and also because MOST qb's are not as tough, durable and able to play through injuries as Weber was.

It will be a very bright and large stage for "Q" and all the "Q"-backers out there! ; 0 )

Now, IF "Q" can play qb as well as you "q"-backers can talk him up, all will be well at the qb position. Time will tell. When the days get cold at the end of October and in November when the Big Ten Season rages on, we shall see what we shall see.

I really do hope that "Q" is all the qb that you "Q"-backers think he is. I'm rooting for him and all the other Gopher qb's and lb's and linemen, and rb's and db's and even the wr's and te's and kickers too!

; 0 )

I think we should go ahead and play the Big Ten Season in 2011 and then we will have a much better idea of what's happening here.

Not everyone has to think just the way you think rosie... You are so crabby you are starting to sound like a hung-over"cracklin' rosie..." sipper after a very long night of sipping way too much cracklin' rosie. Or was it simply too much brew of some other kind?

; 0 )

When have I ever talked him up? My position has always been I'd rather lose with a young guy than lose with an old guy.

"Q" is a junior already. He's getting to be kind of an old guy. Since we have a new coach would it be better to start a freshman then i y o? That way we could have the same qb for four years!

: 0 )

MN daily

Gopher Holers, move on.... A-Web can no longer hurt you or upset you! It is all in the past & you now have your man who can lead you onto the promised land. Let it go and support the team with the new coach. It is a new beginning & we need to support the team with our rose colored glasses!

"Q" is a junior already. He's getting to be kind of an old guy. Since we have a new coach would it be better to start a freshman then i y o? That way we could have the same qb for four years!

: 0 )

Gray has yet to be a proven failure. If he plays very poorly i would hope the staff would move on to someone else. Especially since gray has already proven himself to be the 2nd best wr on the team.

Gopher Holers, move on.... A-Web can no longer hurt you or upset you! It is all in the past & you now have your man who can lead you onto the promised land. Let it go and support the team with the new coach. It is a new beginning & we need to support the team with our rose colored glasses!

No one in this thread is bashing weber.

wren is at it again

No one in this thread is bashing weber.

That is correct but wren has hit the bottle again. When he does he loses all perspective and just says the same thing over and over again. It is very sad to see it.

Brewster pretty much dug his own grave, but I always thought one minor disadvantage he faced is that the team/program was never hideous under Mason. I think that gives us a set of reasons (but no excuses) for Brewster's erratic behavior in changing schemes (to create excitement and/or excuses), but staying with what he deemed were the "steadier" players.

He should have totally re-tooled both schemes and players and stayed the course instead of the mix-and-match approach he took.

Brewster pretty much dug his own grave, but I always thought one minor disadvantage he faced is that the team/program was never hideous under Mason. I think that gives us a set of reasons (but no excuses) for Brewster's erratic behavior in changing schemes (to create excitement and/or excuses), but staying with what he deemed were the "steadier" players.

He should have totally re-tooled both schemes and players and stayed the course instead of the mix-and-match approach he took.

I think Brewster went with the spread ONLY because the coordinator he hired ran it. If Brewster had hired a pro-style OC, then that's what he would have promoted. And I don't think he went looking for a spread guy, he went looking for someone that had some history of success regardless of the offense they ran.

Top Bottom