MN Daily: Analysis: P.J. Fleck’s “Row the Boat” mantra built a culture of winning at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the Daily:

Fleck, during his opening dialogue announcing the class of 2024 on National Signing Day on Dec. 20, 2023, said Minnesota has always been a developmental program during his time in Minneapolis.

“We said from day one we’re always going to be a high school developmental program,” Fleck said.

The sentiment regarding the program’s recruiting still rings true as Fleck announced another massive class of incoming players, highlighted by two players dubbed the best players in their respective states in Koi Perich (Minn.) and Riley Sunram (N.D.).

Fleck makes sure young players develop into stars, whether it is Tyler Nubin, Brevyn Spann-Ford, Jordan Howden or Mohamed Ibrahim. Another name who did not get as much shine for his impactful contributions is center Nathan Boe.

Boe was named a captain for the 2023 season and went on to his sixth season wearing the maroon and gold. Boe said he never imagined he would lead the Gophers out on senior day at Huntington Bank Stadium.

“I can’t thank Coach Fleck enough,” Boe said. “I would have never thought I would have been leading the guys out of the tunnel as a senior. … I think if you stick through something and you grit it out, you’d be shocked at what can happen.”

Boe is a prime example of how the developmental program works. The former Gophers center was named an All-Big Ten Honorable Mention for his performance in 2023.

Go Gophers!!

I’ve mostly ignored the RTB and PJ’s other slogans because I like what he has done in academics, off the field contributions to the community, and recruiting good men and athletes. The word “ culture “ is over used but PJF does get some quality young men and has sent more players to the NFL than previous coaches.

I’ve mostly ignored the RTB and PJ’s other slogans because I like what he has done in academics, off the field contributions to the community, and recruiting good men and athletes. The word “ culture “ is over used but PJF does get some quality young men and has sent more players to the NFL than previous coaches.
So it works, but you’re going to ignore. This ain’t a video game, scooter.

What college program isn't a developmental program?

Even NFL teams should have "developing their players" as a top-3 organizational goal.

Top Bottom