MLive: Michigan football opponent preview: the opener vs. Minnesota’s potent offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per MLive:

Strip away the catch phrases and motivational gimmicks, the fast talking and sideline attire, and P.J. Fleck has proven to be a darn good football coach.

Minnesota had a record-setting season in 2019. The Gophers get an opportunity to make a strong statement to start 2020: Michigan visits for the opener on Oct. 24.

The Little Brown Jug hasn’t been contested since 2017. The schools haven’t met in Minneapolis since 2015.

A lot has changed at Minnesota since then.

It starts with Fleck, the 39-year-old ball of energy. Western Michigan’s program was treading water when Fleck took over in 2013. Three years later the Broncos were undefeated and playing in the Cotton Bowl.

Minnesota was similarly sputtering before Fleck. Last season, Fleck’s third in charge, the Gophers posted their best record (11-2) in 115 years. They hadn’t done better than 5-3 in the Big Ten in more than 45 years, but went 7-2 last season, a program record for league wins.

Minnesota closed with an Outback Bowl win over Auburn and was ranked No. 10 in the final AP poll, its best finish since 1962.

Go Gophers!!

"Strip away the catch phrases and motivational gimmicks, the fast talking and sideline attire, and P.J. Fleck has proven to be a darn good football coach."

So, with the catch phrases, motivational gimmicks, fast talking, and sideline attire PJ Fleck is still unproven? Got it.

I don't find him to be fast talking. Motivational yes.

"Strip away the catch phrases and motivational gimmicks, the fast talking and sideline attire, and P.J. Fleck has proven to be a darn good football coach."

So, with the catch phrases, motivational gimmicks, fast talking, and sideline attire PJ Fleck is still unproven? Got it.

I read that as saying - some people look at Fleck and all they notice are the catch phrases, etc. but if you look beyond all the surface stuff that some people get hung up on, then behind all of that is a good football coach.

it's not a knock on Fleck - it's a compliment. they're saying that there is more to Fleck than some people are willing or able to see.

Went back and read the whole article.

Interesting in that Michigan has made a lot of changes and has new starters on offense, while MN has made changes and will have new starters on defense.

So it may become a question of which new unit gels faster - the Michigan offense or the MN defense.

Even with Bateman back, I would still like to see MN pound Mo behind the OL about 30 times and try to keep the offense on the field as long as possible. This is one game where I don't necessarily want to see a bunch of short drives or quick scores. the TOP is going to be yuge.

Michigan has an unproven QB with a cannon for an arm (sort of like a Brett Farce gunslinger). Will our defense be able to contain?
Michigan always has a solid defense (unless they're playing OSU). Will Morgan be able to exploit any weakness?
It's our defense that will make or break us in this game.

Interesting in that Michigan has made a lot of changes and has new starters on offense, while MN has made changes and will have new starters on defense.

So it may become a question of which new unit gels faster - the Michigan offense or the MN defense.

Even with Bateman back, I would still like to see MN pound Mo behind the OL about 30 times and try to keep the offense on the field as long as possible. This is one game where I don't necessarily want to see a bunch of short drives or quick scores. the TOP is going to be yuge.
That would track with Fleck's Offensive style. Have a great passing game, but rely on the running game and other clock controlling behaviors to win the TOP game. I think he said that's something he picked up from Jim Tressel, kinda an old school approach I think.

I never get tired of reading about the top ten ranking (AP Poll).

Michigan also had 5 defensive players drafted. Both teams return 4 starters on D while Minnesota returns 9 on O to their 3.

They have to replace just as much in D as we do and say more on O.

Michigan has an unproven QB with a cannon for an arm (sort of like a Brett Farce gunslinger). Will our defense be able to contain?
Michigan always has a solid defense (unless they're playing OSU). Will Morgan be able to exploit any weakness?
From reading their forum it sounds like they are moving Dax Hill, a safety, to corner and he is going to be tasked with covering Bateman. If we win this game I think that it is going to be done on the backs of the offensive line. As SON stated above, TOP is going to be yuge. If our front seven can contain the run I think we can and should win this game.

With Faalele basically guaranteed to be out to start the season and Dunlap a TBD in terms of readiness, it’s going to be a real test of our OL depth.

With Faalele basically guaranteed to be out to start the season and Dunlap a TBD in terms of readiness, it’s going to be a real test of our OL depth.
Why?

Oh, he’s not practicing with the team. Supposedly Covid concerns. He hasn’t formally opted out, but he’s not in the lineup right now.
Is there a source for this?

Michigan does always have a solid defense, but MInnesota's offense should be elite again. I'm worried about the loss of TJ, but there's still several NFL players in that bunch. MN was routinely posting 400+ yards of offense even against elite defenses like PSU, Iowa, and Auburn (Wisc obviously slowed them), so I'm guessing they'll move the ball. Whether they a) consistently turn drives into points, b) avoid turnovers, and c) can stop the other team remains to be seen. Can't wait to find out!

Michigan does always have a solid defense, but MInnesota's offense should be elite again. I'm worried about the loss of TJ, but there's still several NFL players in that bunch. MN was routinely posting 400+ yards of offense even against elite defenses like PSU, Iowa, and Auburn (Wisc obviously slowed them), so I'm guessing they'll move the ball. Whether they a) consistently turn drives into points, b) avoid turnovers, and c) can stop the other team remains to be seen. Can't wait to find out!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have a new OC?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have a new OC?
Indeed. I'm not real worried about it for three main reasons:
  • Supposedly, Simon is "Co-Coordinator", so some semblance of consistency should be there.
  • The team was without KC during the bowl game and still put up a huge effort.
  • Good programs lose coordinators all the time and don't miss a beat. MN obviously isn't a well-established powerhouse, but I think the loss of a coordinator hurts a lot less than a HC or very talented players.
Just my $.02. Only time will tell, of course.

Indeed. I'm not real worried about it for three main reasons:
  • Supposedly, Simon is "Co-Coordinator", so some semblance of consistency should be there.
  • The team was without KC during the bowl game and still put up a huge effort.
  • Good programs lose coordinators all the time and don't miss a beat. MN obviously isn't a well-established powerhouse, but I think the loss of a coordinator hurts a lot less than a HC or very talented players.
Just my $.02. Only time will tell, of course.
Fleck has also said that while the new OC will add some new wrinkles (TE use, for example) that something like 90% of the offense won't change because this is the offense he likes to run.

Top Bottom