Mizzou and Minnesota Schedule Home-and-Home for the 2023 and 2024 seasons

Obviously the team is coming together to beat a good Missouri team early in the season.

Pleasant surprise. Have ever played them before? Doesn't ring a bell.

2-0 vs. them, but unsure of the dates:

Looks like a home and home in 1959 and 1960.

Press release from the U of MN:

MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota men's basketball team has agreed to a home-and-home series with the University of Missouri. The Golden Gophers will host the Tigers on Nov. 16, 2023. Time and broadcast information will follow at a later date. Minnesota will then travel to Missouri in the 2024-25 campaign. The future road date is to be determined.

The Gophers and Tigers have played each other just twice in school history, dating back to 1959 and 1960, also in a single home and away contest. The Gophers won at home 80-62 on Dec. 19, 1959. Minnesota added a 60-56 road win on Dec. 5, 1960, for a 2-0 all-time series record.

Mizzou last year: 11-7 SEC, 25-10 overall, ranked 29th in Coaches poll

quality opponent.

the team I always thought the Gophers should have a series with is Iowa State. Gophs are 18-11 overall vs ISU. last meeting was in 2007, but have only met 3 times in the last 30 years. used to play more often from the 60's through the 80's.

Creighton, Bradley, and Xavier are some other good options.

Mizzou last year: 11-7 SEC, 25-10 overall, ranked 29th in Coaches poll

quality opponent.

the team I always thought the Gophers should have a series with is Iowa State. Gophs are 18-11 overall vs ISU. last meeting was in 2007, but have only met 3 times in the last 30 years. used to play more often from the 60's through the 80's.
Gophs have avoided ISU and Marquette to avoid helping them both recruit Minnesota kids. Would be great to play them both annually, 1 home and 1 away.

Gophs have avoided ISU and Marquette to avoid helping them both recruit Minnesota kids. Would be great to play them both annually, 1 home and 1 away.
Yes, now that we will beat them going forward. They can have our recruiting scraps (they will still be strong recruits). The Gophers turn into a recruiting destination now. Please big corps ante up NIL. Get to work Coyle!

Would also have played Mizzou in the 1990 NCAA tournament 2nd round, but they choked and lost to #14 seed Northern Iowa.

We don’t need more than two good opponents pre conference if we are in a quality “preseason” tournament.

I think it's also because Iowa St and Marquette also already have in-state non-conference series set up with Iowa and Wisconsin respectively from the Big 10.

Still should be able to play each twice per decade.

Geez, as much complaining as everyone did about the schedule (including me), I'd have thought there would be many more comments cheering this news. Great add. Let's add 1 more quality opponent.
Normally I would be pretty excited over this. It's the offseason after a historically bad season. I think people are expectedly not overly hyped over the upcoming season.

Ryan James 247: "SEC projections I have seen: 10th, 9th, 11th, 8th and 11th."

They lost 2/3 of their scoring from last years squad and have a ton of transfers including Grill from ISU and Tonje from CSU. Ben wanted both transfer PG Nick Honor who had a good season there last year and FR forward Trent Pierce

Creighton, Bradley, and Xavier are some other good options.
Bradley? Hey, my daughter's got a degree from there, but they don't belong with those other two. And, their best player from last year is on Nebraska now. It would be loads better than the other dreck on the schedule, though

Top Bottom